C64 Reloaded - New C64 mobo coming july 2014

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by DonutKing, Apr 13, 2014.

1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Individual computers are releasing a new mobo for C64 this year for its 32nd birthday. Using a mix of original and upgraded components, to maintain compatibility while adding some new modern features like switchable PAL/NTSC, S-Video output, lowered power consumption, while still fitting in original cases.

Doesn't include CPU or SID chips.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/C64_reloaded

[​IMG]

Price is rumoured to be 150 euro. A bit rich for me considering you could get two off ebay for that much, but the diehard fans might be keen.

2. lupin

lupin Member

I seen that and thought it might be interesting to stick in a spare 64 I have.

Then I seen the price.:wired:

3. callan

callan Member

Couple of interesting things with that.
    1: In "classic" C64's the chroma bleed into the luminance output (which leads to "chequerboarding" in the video output) comes about due to a design flaw in the RF modulator. Without the RF modulator in the picture, it would be interesting to see what the video output looks like.

2: There have been wideranging discussions in other forums over a C64 PSU replacement - and the difficulty in making a unit that is A: cheap, but good/safe, and B: of a design that doesn't need, or can easily get regulatory approval. One of the design simplifications was to run off a single 12VDC supply, and generate all voltages from this one input. The 9VAC was the sticking point - it was needed both with early breadboards (which used this to generate the VIC VCC), and for ALL units to generate the power for the tape drive, and external power for the USER port. The AC component was used to generate the clock signal for the TOD pin in the 2 6526 VIA's. It would be very interesting to see how this has been accomplished in this board....

Callan

4. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

So where do you get the SID and CPU chips from - an old C64?

5. OP
    OP
    DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Basically. You can also get the 6510 CPU off ebay or chinese component suppliers like UTSource.

For the SID, you could try a replacement like SwinSID

6. kieran

kieran Member

so what is the price?

7. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

8. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Hmmm, sadly I don't need a new motherboard, I have one of the originals with the socketed chips, I need a breadbox case and keyboard....

Why can't someone start making the cases/keyboards again!

9. Suntzu

Suntzu Member

My c64 classic still rolls. Nuff said. Back to mercenary slappers...

10. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Anyone know more about this? Starting to look like vapourware. Hope not.

11. cavanor

cavanor Member

They're in the final testing phase before going into production. Expect actual ship dates to be early to mid 2015.

12. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Thanks for that information cavanor. I am very seriously thinking about ordering one. VIC chips are often ratty and the s-video out is not quite standard. Hopefully they put in some ESD protection for SID etc. would be nice.

I know it still needs a CPU and SID but to have everything else taken care of would be awesome.

13. callan

callan Member

A little side project I've been following has been a drop-in RF modulator replacement, that cleans up the video output and provides a clean Svideo output for the C64. (apart from fixing the chroma/Luma crosstalk problem, it takes the buss signals that interfere with the video output, and injects them out-of-phase into the video signal to cancel them out)

Should have the bare boards and components in a few weeks:D

Callan

14. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Very interesting, thanks. I would like to perform such a modification. Can you say how a person might land one?

I have used the stock chroma and luma on an old Commodore Monitor and the results were outstanding.

I have had endless trouble getting S-Video to work on any modern equipment even with an upmarket scaler/processor. It seems the C64's output is not interlaced which is a problem for starters (apparently). Add to that other weirdness and...

15. Oktavius

Oktavius Member

Really enjoy reading your c64 insights :thumbup:

16. callan

callan Member

I've been chasing this problem up since 2011, after getting annoyed at the truly dreadful VIC output on the C128. A German fellow first developed the technique, apparently.

The circuit works by:
    1: Picking the luminance and chroma signals up PRIOR to them being mangled by the RF modulator, and appropriately amplifying them. This eliminates the crosstalk issue, where a weak chroma signal bleeds into the luminance signal, causing crosshatch interference.

2: taking the AEC signal, inverting it, and back-feeding it into the luminance signal, cancelling out it's effect within the VICII chip. Crosstalk within the chip is the root cause of the "cell based" and most prominent video interference. (this chart HERE shows a simulated, exaggerated breakdown of the digital buss signals, and their effect on video output). As a side effect, it also helps in understanding things like VIC fetches and badlines.

The relevant circuit is HERE, and You can knock one up yourself from the associated proto-board image HERE.
    I'm sourcing a board and components via a group buy thinggy on lemon64 (in this thread) - but the buy has only just closed.

Callan

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  17. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Thanks Callan. I will be interested in hearing how it goes for you if you have the time to write it up. I may have missed the group buy but it is supposed to be heading to https://oshpark.com/. There are already some interesting search results on there for Commodore.