1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cable internet woes. Pricing, modems, availability

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by shiny1, Jul 6, 2016.

1. shiny1

shiny1 Member

TLDR:
    1. Can I use my CG3000 modem router on Telstra's cable network?
    2. Is there any other alternative to expensive cable from Optus/Telstra? (Location is 2165). ADSL not available, NBN not available. 100GB+ preferred.

I've been with Optus cable for almost 14 years. Why? Pair gain system. Makes me vomit in my mouth just saying that filthy word. ADSL was never an option for broadband once it became mainstream. Before that, my dial up speeds were constantly 28-32kbps. So I just dealt with it, and expensive cable internet became my reality.

I don't do as much on the internet anymore, so I am happy to downgrade from my Optus 300GB @ $85/month plan to something cheaper. Telstra have a 100GB @ $75/month, but they claim I need to use their Telstra Gateway Max cable modem (which is just a rebranded Netgear C6300). I already have a (older) Netgear CG3000 from Optus. As far as I know, they're both DOCSIS 3.0, but I don't know if my old one is compatible with Telstra, or if I have to jump through any hoops to get it working. Maybe I can buy a cheap unwanted one on eBay?

I asked if Telstra could get me off pair gain system and they said no. So... aside from cable or using a WIFI dongle, I don't think I have much of a choice. Optus customer retention doesn't seem to care, and Telstra sales doesn't seem to offer any incentives for me to join.

2. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

You need to use the provider's modem. Both Telstra and Optus customise their modem firmware and they are not interchangeable.

You can't get cable through anyone else as the two companies own the infrastructure.

Either ring Optus and ask to disconnect, or move to Telstra and use their free modem.

3. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

And telstra want to charge you for the modem upfront? Usually they will give you the modem free over a contract period usually 24 months.

As for Optus modem working, i'm not 100% sure but i think it will flash to the correct firmware automatically when it connects. But i'm not fully sure.

4. caspian

caspian Member

why? it's a phone network. it's designed for carrying voice phone calls and nothing else.

I would not expect either company to be interested in doing a deal for a single consumer user. seriously, why would they? one more user one way or the other is not worth a fraction of the business cost of empowering and enabling their staff and IT systems to vary from the offerings they have.

if you want to go with Telstra, do so. yes, you'll need to use their modem, no option. you might get one without an upfront cost but that just means you're paying for it over time in monthly fees.

5. OP
    OP
    shiny1

shiny1 Member

I'm just bitter that I've had to deal with cable internet for this long because I have no other viable options.

People who complain on their Facebook page or Twitter get attention and no doubt, more than a few, have received some kind of compensation. I've had it before years ago. Why not now? They never brought it up in today's call.

6. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Why NBN still deciding to use it?

7. Everlong

Everlong Member

Why are you bitter about using cable, its better than DSL.

Anyhoo, I'm a Telstra cable user on 100mb and I have been perfectly happy with their service.

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

the OP has been using Optus cable..... here endith the lesson

9. caspian

caspian Member

I would far rather have cable than DSL.

we did not. the government directed us to.

10. OP
    OP
    shiny1

shiny1 Member

My internet download speeds are no better than ADSL2 speeds. For the last 2 years, speedtest has returned an average of 5-8mbps. That's shocking considering I pay $85 a month, where ADSL prices are $60. Before that, I was on a speed pack after complaining about slow internet. And before the speed pack, it was slow (hence the complaint).

11. caspian

caspian Member

so why are you using Optus, who are well known to have a congested network?

12. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Sigh. When you run your speedtest, are you using wireless, or wired?

Also, what results do you get using speedtest.optusnet.com.au?
    It's well known that an ISP cannot guarantee speed qualifications outside their network, due to many, many reasons.

13. OP
    OP
    shiny1

shiny1 Member

Telstra costs just as much for less data currently. In the past, all of their offers were more expensive than Optus.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 5513 kbps (689.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 957 kbps (119.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 12 ms
    Jitter: 4 ms
    7/8/2016, 12:12:55 AM

14. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

I'm with Optus. I was able to get a CG3000v2 for $15 on gumtree. You probably can get the telstra equivalent if you have a look.

I was switching from an old Motorola and once I had the new modem connected I had to make a call to optus to get it initialised.

15. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

yea, wired, or wireless?
    If you're using Wired connection for your computer (not wireless, the CG3000 wireless is notoriously terrible) and that's your result from optus speedtest site, ring them and complain.

16. caspian

caspian Member

do you see the disconnect in that statement?

why do you think the Optus service is cheaper?

17. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

No one would be able to 100% know unless you are in Optus management.

Simply put, their overheads are less than Telstra's and charge accordingly to market demand and competition.

:thumbup:

18. caspian

caspian Member

let me offer a very simple explanation that anyone should be able to encompass.

Optus offer a cheaper service because they underresource their network.

so the choice is between a cheap service that doesn't work or a more expensive one that does.

19. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Regardless of provider, for consumer internet there is a significant amount of contention within all consumer internet providers.

The only way consumer internet gets to the prices is with contention, the true cost to deliver an uncontended service that gets full bandwidth all the time which includes access/IP/transit is way beyond the price consumers pay.

Honestly this depends depending on your area, I have Optus Cable and i can get 100mbit during peak hours to local content steam/uplay etc. But i know people that get <1mbit during peak to local content. Optus has done quite a lot of upgrades in the past 12-24 months and it's not just CSR bullcrap to get you off the phone, I have seen the graphs.

If you look at whirlpool there are congestion complaints in Optus/Telstra/TPG/iinet etc.

But generally anecdotally
    Telstra is less congested than Optus
    Telstra is more expensive than Optus
    A more expensive service will perform better than a cheaper service.
    The value speed-price or allowance-price will generally be better for Optus than Telstra.

Its up to you to choose if you want a better service or more allowance or more speed etc.

The other side of the coin is a customer expects to get what he pays for all the time, so if a customer pays for 100mbit it is kinda reasonable that they get 100mbit all the time, even though the economics of this don't make sense. If ACCC or whatever body mandates this to be true then internet prices should go up.

20. Everlong

Everlong Member

Oh OK, was not aware their cable network was bad