cable management

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by cdtoaster, Oct 26, 2013.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

just wondering what you guys do for cable management behind the desk. i have 2 towers and 2 monitors (one is a tv), then 2 consoles, speakers, headphones, LAN cables, UPS etc
    it's a huge mess and difficult to keep clean. ideally i'd like no cables/power board/switch on the floor
    im thinking about trying something like this
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/cable-management-zone-2m-roll-large-zip-wht-cc6793_p4430314

then just using adhesive hooks to hold it up at the back of the desk

2. Jim G

Jim G Member

Velcro. Get a long roll of the double-sided stuff that sticks to itself and have a band of it every ten inches or so - makes it heaps easier to break out sub-lines of cables. You can just get adhesive hooks to keep it off the ground and stick the line Adhesive hooks work great for keeping the cabling off the ground.

I always found the linked items annoying to add/remove cables to once they had a few in them.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

That plastic coated wire you get with "every electrical product" that "manages the cables".....reuse that....and reuse it.....and reuse it.......

4. NeonMadness

NeonMadness Member

Yes,yes,yes,yes ^. Also, Cable ties, i sometimes use string but thats just me.

5. ipex

ipex Member

velcro is what i use , easy to add and remove cables , keeps shit nice and tidy

6. Rezin

Rezin Member

Cable trays is another option. No zip ties, etc.. and especially not that twisty conduit that you linked to (which has always been a pain in the arse, for me, when trying to add or remove a cable from the bunch).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  7. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

8. Anteros

Anteros Member

Velcro if it's going to be visible at all, or be worked on very often. Duct tape if setting up for someone else that I know won't touch anything until they upgrade in 7 years.

9. scrantic

scrantic Member

10. SkyJoggeR

SkyJoggeR Member

+1 fir velcro, its great stuff all that other stuff is annoying to put on, annoying if you have to take a cable out or put one in Velcro is easy

11. mike-s

mike-s Member

Agreed, Velcro all the way. I got that silver ducting stuff. But it is a pain to remove or add cables. Also there it a limit on how many cables can fit in that ducting.

12. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Easiest thing BY FAR is to buy some large cup hooks, and screw them up under the desk. Then you have custom made cable trays that get it all up off the floor.

I also mount power boards up under the desk as well, which makes things heaps neater. I install little shelves to hold UBS hubs, router, etc so absolutely everything is stealth.

By doing that the only cables will generally be the incoming power and your network or modem cable.

A great neatening opportunity is the rear of drawers. There is usually a 100mm or more behind the back of the drawers that is perfect for hiding all the power cables inside.

13. Hood

Hood Member

My cabling was completely out of hand, so i brought two rack cable managers off ebay and boleted them to the back of the desk. also brought two 10 port power boards and ran them just below the cable managers. now its all up off the floor and looks very tidy

http://wiretek.com.au/media/catalog...d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/a/cable_manager-1-1.jpg

http://www.anyware.com.au/Marketing/ProductInfo/Images/LB_PDU10_10/LB_PDU10_101615553826761_L_.jpg

gords edit: Do not hotlink pics you are not hosting yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013
  14. Gnatty

Gnatty Member

How are you guys bundling up excess wire? Since my powerboard is right next to my desk, most of my power cables are waay too long.

15. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Where did you get that power board?

16. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I hate people that use duct tape or electical tape to bundle cables. It doesn't last very long, Is impossible to expand, and leaves a shitty glue coating over everything.

17. Hood

Hood Member

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I use velcro and bulldog clips, seems to do the job.

19. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

If it's "permanent" cable ties. If it's not, bulldog clips.

20. DeadLetter

DeadLetter Member

Velcro is god. I use it at work and at home on everything.