Cable Sleeving Guide

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Dangals, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

So where's the best place to buy a bulk amount of heat wrap + that fancy sleeving you're using? I have about four or five computers I wouldn't mind doing this to :thumbup: Anything required other than the materials and a paperclip??

2. Pugs

Pugs Member

3. Simwah

Simwah Member

i order my sleeving from gammods and heatshrink from jaycar.

4. Tex Zero

Tex Zero Member

Nice job on that fan. Especially the short cables between the connectors. :thumbup:

5. Hennels

Hennels Member

When are you going to update this like on XtremeSystems

6. karnage112

karnage112 Member

What size sleeving/heatshrink do you reckon i should get if i wanted to sleeve fan cables and stuff like that but not have to remove the 3pin connector?

Would it still look ok?

Love the murdermod btw, one of my most favourite of all time.

7. standby.

standby. Member

pictures are dead
    please reupload!

8. OP
    OP
    Dangals

Dangals Member

Should be almost done - there are a couple that I am still trying to sort out but hopefully they will be back up soon.

I have also added a new section for sleeving the Sata Data cables :thumbup:

Enjoy :D

9. standby.

standby. Member

THANKS SO MUCH!!!! :thumbup:

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

hey how is cable sleaving measured ?..I'm looking for some to go over my head set cables but unsure of the size i need.

for refernce my head set is the Zalman ZM-RS6F+Mic... would 6mm be enough??

NM i've ordered some 10mm purple stuff from gam mods

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  11. downforce

downforce Member

For those interested, I've used some sleeving made by Cabac, which is an Aussie data/electrical company, part of/owned by the Legend group (yes the memory company).

Here are some results of my first cabling attempt using 4mm cable:
    http://masseys.id.au/pics/index.php?album=technology/cables&image=cables002.jpg

The 'see throughness':
    http://masseys.id.au/pics/index.php?album=technology/cables&image=cables008.jpg

It uses a 3x3 thread and I'm damn impressed. Probably the biggest 'downside' is the lack of sizes, 4, 6, 10, 15, 20 then bigger still.

I bought some multi-pack of heatshrink from Electus/Jaycar which is seen there, but it's not glued and pretty average for this use. Cabac also do some gluelined heatshrink so I'll get some of that soon and see how that goes.

I also did a SATA cable with the 6mm cable and will post picks soon.

12. OP
    OP
    Dangals

Dangals Member

CCPT Review

Recently I got my hands on some Clean Cut PET or CCPT from GAMMODS to compare with the standard PET sleeving which I had used from my previous builds. I must say that the CCPT is by far the better of the two! It is basically the same as the Murdermod sleeving in the fact that it is a triple weave design that is slightly larger in diameter than the standard PET so that when applied to cables it is a lot less likely to ever show the colour below. At the moment the CCPT is only available in black and can be purchased via the ever reliable GAMMODS

What I have done below is given my thoughts on some various sizes of CCPT that are available as well as what sized heatshrink should be used for various applications.

Sleeving

1/8" (3mm) - great for single power cables (24, 8, PCIE etc) as well as fan cables due to it being slightly bigger than standard PET therefore it barely shows the colours through at all.
    1/4" (6mm) - good for SATA data cables as it is a nice snug fit and doesn't distort when bending the cable...however as it is a little stretched it can show the underneath colour through slightly when a flash is used.
    3/8" (10mm) - good also for Sata data cables as it is a little looser on the cable so manages to hide the colours beneath better than the 6mm however tends to change shape when bending the cable back on itself (however one should be able to organise better cable management that doesn’t require this so it should be a mute point.)
    1/2" (13mm) - could be used for groups of cables up to 6 per grouping (ie PCIE, SATA power cable etc) where you do not want them sleeved individually.
    3/4" (19mm) - Same as above but can accommodate more cables (ie 8pin PCIE)
    1" (25mm) - could be used to resleeve a 24pin cable but might get a little stretched in comparison to 1 1/4"
    1 1/4" (32mm) - same as 1" but would be better suited due to its bigger diameter - meaning it will be less likely to show cables colours through as it will not need to stretch as much

Heat Shrinks

2:1
    3.0 - will just fit over clean cut with a little coaxing and will work fine with the standard pet stuff (my opinion is that it is perfect for standard PET as when it is shrunk it gives a great fit)
    5.0 - is good for CCPT as it will shrink just enough to get a grip - will also work fine with fan cables due to the extra size needed for the three cables.
    6.0 - would be useful for jobs where you are sleeving multiple power cables together (ie pump cables) or if you were doing the 24 pin in groups of 2 (using standard PET).
    10.0 - does not fit with SATA cables - would suit multiple cables like a sata power cable that was sleeved as one cable and not individually.
    16.0 - is too big for SATA cables and does not quite shrink enough to get a grip on the sleeve. You could use it for PCIe transitions from grouped to individually sleeved.
    20.0 - this is good for using on the 24pin when they are bunched in one group as it shrinks well and gets a good grip on the cables.

3:1
    9mm - not big enough for sata and too big for single cable runs - would suit multiple cables like a sata power cable that was sleeved as one cable and not individually.
    18mm - Good for sata data cables as it shrinks enough to grab the cable - also good for bigger cable runs that will not fit in the 9mm sleeve.

Approx lengths of sleeving needed

The tricky thing to keep in mind with this is that cables from different manufacturers tend to be slightly different lengths so you need to make that you measure twice to ensure that the length you order will cover your needs. For Standard PET a good rule of thumb is to measure the cable and then add a cm or two to the length of sleeve to cut as is tends to expand a little when being fitted to the cable. Whereas for Cleancut you would just need to measure the length required due to its slightly larger ID.

KEEP IN MIND that all measurements below were for my cables and you NEED to measure your own before ordering any sleeving

PCI-E - my Silverstone cables are approx 55cm long - I would use roughly 57cm per individual cable using standard PET - you could probably get away with 55cm with the clean cut due to it being bigger in size as it doesn’t stretch when fitted to single cable. But I would still go with 57 just to be safe as it is better to have left over than not enough.

Therefore:
    - 6pin PCIE you would need 6 x 57cm = 342cm and
    - 8pin PCIE would need 456cm per cable

24pin - my 24pin cable is approx 50cm in length (again for standard PET add approx 2cm = 52cm) per cable

Therefore:
    - 24 x 52cm = 1248cm (standard PET) or
    - 24 x 50cm = 1200cm (cleancut)

8pin - again mine is approx 50cm in length

Therefore:
    - 8 x 52cm = 416cm (standard PET) or
    - 8 x 50cm = 400cm (cleancut)

Sata Data Cables
    This all comes down to the length of the cable as they come in many different lengths, and just remember to add a little extra should you choose the 6mm option as it expands a bit when being used for the SATA cable.

And here are some quick pics that I took this morning - nothing fancy mind you :p

Standard PET vs CCPT

[​IMG]

Standard PET vs CCPT - with Sunlight

[​IMG]

Standard PET vs CCPT - with flash

[​IMG]

10mm vs 6mm Sata Sleeving

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  13. Shadow_n

Shadow_n Member

:lol: Should help Chemicals somewhat.

14. CHemical.

CHemical. New Member

It sure did.
    Thnaks for this thread

15. carbon_death

carbon_death Member

What an awesome thread.
    I've always thought it would be hard to re-sleave one cables.
    But i have been shown otherwise =]

16. lenne0815

lenne0815 Member

thanks for sharing, awesome thread

17. standby.

standby. Member

how come you didn't sleeve the cables individually for the whole length of the cable?

18. frigger

frigger Member

i think he wanted to save some sleeving by only sleeving the parts that can be seen

19. Automaton

Automaton Member

Sleeving SATA power cables.

Got a question about the SATA cable with multiple plugs throughout. Have you used a single length of sleeving for the entire cable with heatshrink at the appropriate places? Or is three lengths of sleeving (assuming it's a 3 plug cable) with heatshrink on either side of the plug?

I wouldn't have thought the former cause it'd be too thick to force into the plug and have it cut through heatshrink, sleeving and the plastic coating. It's just that the picture gives the impression this is what you did.

20. OP
    OP
    Dangals

Dangals Member

Thanks for the :thumbup:

You got it :)

It was done using seperate lengths of sleeve for each section of the cable as it is way too thick for it to be just one continuous length - you wouldn't be able to push it into the plug. Each smaller section was done then the plug fitted then the next section was done etc...

Hope that helps :)