Cable Sleeving Guide

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Dangals, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Copie

Copie Member

Thanks for the Howto: its given me a few ideas when im on holidays :)

2. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

great guide, thanks Dangals, now I just need to get the sleeving :)

3. Automaton

Automaton Member

Yes it does! Very much. Thanks and appreciate the thread, these things would be much harder without guides like this.

4. frigger

frigger Member

It literally took me about 30mins just to get one of the 24pin cables out >< But after I got the first one, all the others were easy. Maybe I'm just a downer :tongue:

5. grazhopa

grazhopa Member

dunno about you, but 2 or the 5 pins in the first sata power cable i did had a gumby system with a clip on one side pushed in...they were real bastards to get out! the molex tool was too short..

the other 3 came out with buggerall effort.

unfortunately i didnt factor in the sleeving and heatshrink reducing flex and one of the connectors is like 5mm out of position :(

6. Sycrat

Sycrat Member

Thanks for the howto :)
    Definitely doing this before I finish this build.
    Can anybody vouch for the Flexo Clean Cut from Gam?

Cheers!

7. lenne0815

lenne0815 Member

i ordered some, ill post pics and impressions when its here.

8. aeolas

aeolas Member

Hi Dangals :) thanks alot for this sleeving guide it helped me alot. i just did 24 & 8 molex powercables, and gpu powercable, sata power, sata hd cable. Looks great :D

[edit] here some pictures of the sleeving with murdermod
    [​IMG]

cheers

9. alyxander

alyxander Member

i want to sleeve my antec quattro 1000w but the rubber caps they have instead of heatshrink on the cables are a bitch to remove!!!!! fuck! i give up

10. mazmorbid

mazmorbid (Banned or Deleted)

Yeah they are dumb and ugly, don't know why they use those bulky things, I use side cutters to cut as close as possible one side and then use a hobby knife to get closer and then just peel it off ...

11. alyxander

alyxander Member

yeah i used a knife and i accidently cut a bit of insulation off a couple of wires revealing some silver wire underneath, do you think that would cause a problem? u think i should have some heatshrink over it to be safe?

did you manage to cut through ALL those plastic pieces if crap? they are driving me nuts, not to mention hurting my fingers trying to peel them off.

can you give me more detail in your technique to removing them? i want maximum details lol

12. mazmorbid

mazmorbid (Banned or Deleted)

hmmm I'm not sure I can give you better details than I already have, yeah it is hard work on your fingers :( and yes put some heatshrink over where you have cut through, never ever leave wires open like that ..

13. aeolas

aeolas Member

can u post a photo of the rubber caps so i can understand more and i might know in detail

14. alyxander

alyxander Member

[​IMG]

bastards are so hard to remove :mad: :mad:
    ive messed up one pcie already

15. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

double post..

16. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

I think im going to be running into the same issues as you guys.. these are the same thing on my Thermaltake 1200W PSU cables... arrggg.. i just ordered 25 meters of CCPET... and ideas how to get these things off? or what they are they are pretty hard

plus it looks like they use some kind of glue on the inside as well :Paranoid:

[​IMG]

17. aeolas

aeolas Member

dudes i have same psu as u i did it all and its not hard to get it off...(some are :p ) well the thing is u need to get this set or something like this:
    [​IMG]

then put it like this inside
    [​IMG]

then pull the wire... if its hard to pull off... get a small screwdriver and put it between the tool and push the iron thing inside untill it moved then pull the wire (ofcourse keep the tool still inside it).

after a few sleevings u get something like this:
    [​IMG]

goodluck hope this helps a bit

18. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

well yeah getting them off isnt that hard now that ive had a crack...

now i have a different question

my PSU has these 8-pin to 6-pin PCI-E adapters.. now im wondering, how hard would it be to just make this a single cable instead of a this red ugly thing that has to plug in..

as this is the only way i have to get 4x 6-pin PCI-e power rails

now im assuming cause the 8 pin just has 2 extra grounds.. this should be as simple as take out the extra ground rail wires and put on 1 end a pci-e 6 pin plug.. any thoughts?

19. aeolas

aeolas Member

what u mean is.... combine the 8pin and 6pin together into 1 plug?

20. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

well i need 4x 6pin pci-e plugs for my 4890's

and the power supply comes with 3x 6 pin plugs and 3x8 pin plugs and also 3 8 pin to 6 pin plugs..

now instead of plugin in one of the adapters im going to take one of the 8 pin plugs off the end and replace it with the 6 pin one from one of the adapters.. thus taking away one of the ugly adapter plugs and making 4x 6 pin cables..

i have followed how the pins go from the power supply to the pci-e 6 pin plug and it looks like it will work fine..

Need alot more sleeving then i thought.. i thought that 20meters of ccpet would be enough to do all of my cables.. (everything!!) nope more like 40 :Paranoid: ah well should give me alot of stuff to do whilst i wait for my tax return to buy the rest of my pc...

Oh and i can now see how you can cut up your fingers doing this.. those pci-e plugs and the pins are sharp.. my index finger is hurting now..