Cable Sleeving Service ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Neckabutu, Nov 7, 2009.

1. DeejW

DeejW Member

Id sleeve a PSU for $100 :)

2. OP
    OP
    Neckabutu

Neckabutu Member

Dreamaxx that would be great. ok so how do we go about this im in Melbourne.
    PM me with details and we can go from there. I've been set back by a couple of weeks on my build becaucse of short supply on the 5870 cards.

3. ravencs

ravencs Member

Neckabuto play with your settings, I tried to reply to your pm the other day and apparently your account is set to *no pm's*

4. OP
    OP
    Neckabutu

Neckabutu Member

All fixed now I believe. Cheers

5. goldpenis

goldpenis Member

Still stuck? I can sleeve your power supply for a fee and am in Melbourne too. Give me a holla if you still need this done!

Cheers ;)

6. timsarg

timsarg Member

HX1000 sleeved along with 5 fans, power led, hdd led and pwr switch plus a few usb cables done in around 3 hours .

Cannot understand how people think sleeving is that hard . Only need a paperclip, heat gun, scissors .

7. elstado

elstado Member

See this is what I would have expected? I few hours to do a PSU and a few extras like fans etc. I am getting some sleeving sent to me by one of the members for practice so I'll find out soon enough.

I suppose how long it takes depends on factors such as if you do stuff like wrapping the cables with electrical tape before sleeving, and also if you individually sleeve each cable on the 24-pin, that would make it take longer.

I could imagine that sleeving some PSUs would be quicker and easier than others, especially if it is 100% modular.

8. timsarg

timsarg Member

i sleeve each cable on the psu individually . To start i get the first cable and measure up the length needed . Then i cut all the sleeving to the same length and rinse repeat with the heat shrink . Honestly each wire from removal to reinsertion would probably take 2 minutes . The more fiddly bits were when i lengthened the fan wires . Fully modular would take longer as you have to remove each end of the cable whereas with a normall psu like the hx1000 you only need to unpin one end

9. ravencs

ravencs Member

Timing all depends on the PSU and what cables you use, also how you do it, Sleeving aint fast if you screw up a couple.
    Also depends on your system.

24pin + 8 pin + 6 gfx pin + 1 drive = quick.
    24 pin + dual 8's + multi gpu + HD raid = double the cables

10. goldpenis

goldpenis Member

I have sleeved a few in my time and it can indeed be time consuming. Things such as reluctant cable connectors not wanting to exit from the molex plugs, being loose when re-inserted back into the molex connector after sleeving, PSU cables with multiple connectors in parallel giving you a pain in the ass when trying to sleeve each individual section, pins getting jagged inside the sleeving, etc, etc!

This all adds up and it can be quite fiddly. But, alas, like most things, the more you do, the better you get. I'm sure there are doctors that can perform lobotomy surgery in record time too ;)

11. elstado

elstado Member

I want to get a Seasonic M12 500w PSU next year after I get a new case (FT02) and was thinking it would look great with all the cables in the case sleeved in black murdermod sleeving.

I only have 2x HDDs, single GPU using 1x 6pin power and all the other essentials. Should be pretty easy. I have a proper heat gun at my disposal to use too.

12. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

To the OP and everyone else who's interested in a cable sleeving service and/or complete custom cabling service;

I'm in the process of setting up a business to particularly cater to this, as well as creating completely custom length cables for PC internals. (i.e. 24pin - 8pin - 6pin - 4pin - SATA, etc.)

I'm hoping to have everything up and running early into 2010, as it currently stands I'm establishing another general I.T. services business and so have been working rather hard on getting all the Graphic Design done and Website developed.

All custom cables will use Gold Plated pins, quality copper cable and AC Ryan molexes, as well as Techflex/Murdermod sleeving. (I'm considering Techflex to allow for a variety of colours)

If anyone is interested in particular feel free to flip a PM my way and I'll be sure to get in contact with you once everything is up and running.

Alternatively - You can keep an eye out for www.customcable.com.au, as this will be the businesses website once everything is complete. It's parked right now, but I'm slowly working on getting things up and running, like I said, early 2010.

13. dreamaxx

dreamaxx (Banned or Deleted)

MurderMod doesn't have lots of colours? There are loads!!

14. elstado

elstado Member

Agreed. And the colours are really nice.

I personally am a fan of black, but "Grand Blue" and Red looks awesome.

http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve/sleeve.htm

15. watteez

watteez Member

yeh, grand blue looks awesome, pitty it doesn't suit new colour scheme.

(slight change of topic)
    i'm currently sleeving my cables, if the cables are the same colour they can go in any matching colours place right??
    eg orange in ATX plugs

16. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Ahh, I wasn't aware that was 'Murdermod' sleeving, also wasn't aware MDPC-x had all those colours.

If that's the case I'll be tossing up between MDPC-x & Techflex sleeving for the business, whoever I guess offers the best bang for buck, as far as I'm aware the Techflex stuff is just as good as the MDPC-x stuff.

Not entirely sure if you can, although it's best practice to keep the wires in their original pins, there's 2 ways you can go about doing this to make things simpler;

1. Remove and Sleeve each pin+wire individually, one at a time.
    2. Number each pin 1-24 as you remove them, each number representing a pin on the ATX molex.

The latter is better if you are wanting to lengthen/shorten your wires, however if you're just sleeving them, for simplicities sake you'd probably just wanna do 1 at a time, plus it's far less daunting this way.

EDIT: I did a quick look up of a 24pin layout and came across this diagram: http://www.subedartech.net/docs/pc/connector_atx_pinout.GIF which seems to show that each coloured wire represents a certain type of voltage. Going off of this diagram it looks as if, provided you kept the colours the same and put them in the same pins you'd be fine, don't quote me on that though.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  17. zeropluszero

zeropluszero Member

i'd be interested in your modding store -Sk3tChY-.

18. schnappy

schnappy Member

You only just worked that out? Won't be buying from you any time soon...

19. retrobot

retrobot Member

+1 Would also be interested in sleeving service too :thumbup:

20. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

No worries guys, I'll be sure to speak to Agg and ask about putting up a thread once everything's up and running. :thumbup:

Expect everything to be up and running early 2010, I'm currently in the process of finishing up Development for my initial business which is holding things up a little.

Np - I've never cared to look at the 24pin (or any other pin for that matter) wire layout because I've always used one of the 2 methods I mentioned above which works perfectly fine.

Less room for error that way also.