Caller ID Spoofing. How to Investigate?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by abulghadab, Oct 18, 2020.

1. abulghadab

abulghadab Member

Hello all,

I received a text from a random number last Friday asking about my identity. After some toing and froing they sent me a screenshot showing that I had called them earlier, when in fact I was no where near my phone. Has my phone number been spoofed? How can I investigate this further?

Thanks!

2. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

If they had your number they could presumably just photoshop a screenshot of it. What's to investigate? What do they want from you?

3. slavewone

slavewone Member

I don’t bother with the to and fro, just block. To easy to edit and I don’t have software on my phone to check image authenticity.

4. OP
    OP
    abulghadab

abulghadab Member

They were just asking who I was? Seemed to be genuine as they apologised once I told them that I have never called or texted them before.

Possible. The only strange thing about my number on their screenshot was that it did not have the international code prefix (+61).

I am just worried that someone is using a spoof of my number.

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Maybe, but I'm not sure what you would do with that information. Personally I'd probably just forget about it unless it happens again, in which case you might need to think about getting a new number I guess.

6. Hater

Hater Member

Just save a contact with your number as the "name" et voila it'll come up as your number when in actual fact it's that contact.

7. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

you might want to contact your mobile provider, i believe they can put your number on alert for any possible change requests

JSmithDTV likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    abulghadab

abulghadab Member

My concern is that by the time it happens again I will have to get a new number, and I just do not want to deal with all the hassle associated with changing a number.

That is a possibility, even though I do not understand why someone would do it unless they are trying to scam me. I might quiz them about this tomorrow.

As long as they will not deactivate it on the spot :)

9. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Well, I’ve heard of peoples number getting spoofed, and then a small change (like they’ll add something like roaming) into your service. And then, they’ll order a new sim, and then they’ll order a iPhone 12 on the most expensive plan

10. mareke

mareke Member

I'd automatically delete any text message that made no sense or had any relevance to me. I've been getting text messages from businesses despite not signing up for messages from them and I immediately delete them. I've also got calls from people who call me 'Christian'. Apparently my number previously belonged to a guy named Christian and his number has been allocated by Telstra to me. I explain what's happened & they don't ring again. Telstra also like to send me text messages advertising its services & I delete them. Why waste your valuable time?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020