1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cambium Networks

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by samus, Mar 27, 2018.

1. samus

samus Member

Morning OCAU!

A vendor has suggested Cambium to replace our very old Netgear AP's, the price is right and they have an on premises controller, which I also like. Anyone use them for have any experience?

2. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

I suggest you look at the ubiquiti AP's, just as reliable (with some saying more, but that's debatable) and a pittance of the cost of cambium.

Pugs likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    samus

samus Member

Really? The price is on par (~$10) with the UB AP pro's, and with the controller being on-site. I have UB AP's at my brother in laws place, and works great.

4. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Controllers are neither here nor here, Ub's controller is also "on site" be it the cloud key device, or software running on PC - remember, UB's controller does not have to be running, only if you want constant stats, or to make a change to devices config, most installs I've seen in some large entertainment establishments don't keep them running, haven't used them since the initial install and config.

UAP-Pro is around 190, I've not seen cambium devices is the same class near that price, what model are referring to may I ask?

samus likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    samus

samus Member

My vendor quoted the e400's for ~200ex.

6. bcann

bcann Member

I am a ubiquiti user, but that e400 is surprisingly well specced for that price. 2x2 mu mimo wave 2 <$200 is pretty damn good.

Definitely worth a look

7. chip

chip Member

isn't the e400 nearing end of sale, with the e410 replacing it?

8. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I myself use UBNT gear a lot, especially when it comes to replacing other more expensive and like overpriced shit. As for Cambium, we use it extensively in our network but over time, I have learnt a golden rule with the stuff, if it sounds too good to be true, then it likely is. Both have Pro's and Con's however, for doing managed wireless along with networking, UniFi wins, hands down.

9. OP
    OP
    samus

samus Member

It seems the crowd has spoken. I don't really mind either way, but if i can pick up a 5 pack of ub pros for $1k, ill take it and run.

Thanks everyone.

10. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

I'd go 5x individuals, the 5 packs mostly are not that much cheaper if at all, and dont come with PoE adapters, best to get them individually and stick the adapters in a cupboard, or sell a couple on eBay ;)