1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera strap

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by bevanbraves, Sep 26, 2012.

1. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

I find the basic strap included with cameras actually gets in the way, more than it helps. I normally find i wrap the strap around my wrist a few times, if i use it at all.

Does anyone have any good/bad reports on using either a wrist strap (such as the nikon AH-4) or something like the blackrapid RS-4 sling?

2. sotech

sotech Member

Take a look at the Domke Gripper straps - while they're neck straps I use them as wrist straps... they're quite thin but grippy thanks to the woven rubber strands and don't get in the way as much as the bigger Canon straps.

3. bueller

bueller Member

I miss my BR sling, sold it with my D700 because I thought it would be un-necessary with a smaller camera but I just can't get used to neck straps now. Probably be buying another one soon.

4. XR6DAn

XR6DAn Member

I use the Blackrapid strap, i find it useful to have two hands free. The system works well. The camera sits out of the way at my back pocket, so make sure you don't wear shorts with metal studs or buttons, it will scratch the camera up good (speaking from experience here..)

5. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

If the camera weighs anything i advise against these though. I loved them, until I put some good weighty medium format cameras on them and they (especially if you end up slinging over your shoulder) get really uncomfortable.

6. RichoB

RichoB Member

I never use my BR strap, I find it gets all interfere-y with a shoulder bag. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a cloth A&A strap for all my cameras after using that one on the new Bessa!

Is it wrong to buy a new camera and be more excited about the strap it came with?

7. Deftone2k

Check out.. damn what did hukkamukka just get.. Tom something.. looks rad.

8. bueller

bueller Member

Got to admit those AA are pretty nice! Wish they made a wrist strap out of that cloth, the leather ones just irritate me after a while...

Hope you're enjoying the Bessa, she'll be missed!

9. 2SHY

2SHY Member

I do like my Blackrapid RS4 but the strap is fraying quite heavily. Locking ridges and clips are not holding it together as well.

Looking for something else.

10. tzortst

tzortst Member

11. StuartL

StuartL Member

I rather like the Luma Labs "Cinch" - works nicely so far, although I'm still trying to figure out how best to place it on the camera for ease of access.

12. crispy12

crispy12 Member

I have the Voigtlander copy of the fixed length AA cloth strap as well as the ACAM 103 adjustable version. Love both of them to bits, my favourite strap for small cameras by far.

The BR strap looks really comfy though, I keep thinking about getti one but as mentioned I really think it'll get in the way of my sling bag. Can anyone share their experience?

13. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

14. bueller

bueller Member

I wear a messenger bag slung across my body and never had any problems with the BR getting in the way. I'd just put the bag on first so the camera strap could move freely.

15. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Which model did you get? Also do you cross-sling your camera the same direction as your bag, or criss-cross?

Maybe I'll get one, seems really convenient to just let the camera hang. Might be good when I'm out cycling with my camera too.

16. Deftone2k

I use the Q strap and do D3 on one side, D700 gripped on the other and put it over the top of a sling bag and its not bad if you are balanced.

17. levin

levin Member

I use the RS-5 with a Crumpler messenger bag and I usually cross sling them.

I usually don't bother with a bag any more unless I need to change lens, then I just have this http://www.undfind.com/waist-shooter-lens-bag/ to fit lenses or body and can be worn on the belt or sling

18. bueller

bueller Member

Pretty sure I had the RS-4 and crossed them over, helped to balance the weight a little bit more evenly on my shoulders. Was a big help in the respect, years of playing bass in a metal band have ruined my neck and shoulders.

19. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

I love my RS-7, it's either that or no strap. Hate neck straps. Never had an issue using it with my sling bag either.

20. Tiger Toast

Tiger Toast Member

Gordy straps are the tits imo.