1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

CAMInventions makes.. Biggest Thing Yet

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Andrew_Wong, Feb 6, 2022.

1. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Looks great! How are you going to grip the group head?

2. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

so not welding the bracing out?

3. mtma

mtma Member

That's pretty rad. I'm interested in how they're setting up the reference positions on the machines, I'd guess they'd either have registration symbols or secure the machines really well. Are they doing a build log of some kind?

4. Cererus

Cererus Member

It's one of the "trainable" arms I think.

Go into learn mode and the operator can position the arm initiate clamps vacuum etc. pick up the part move the arm to where it has to go then click release and save as a process. The smarter ones can then refine the movement to get from point A to B to C with least distance travelled.

It doesn't look that powerful but you better check out SafeWork Re industrial robots WHS requirements.

5. OP
    OP
    Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

There is a robot gripper & a machined dovetail that bolts to the group head... it's pretty neat.

6. OP
    OP
    Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

I would love to but the work space is really tight and people need to be able to walk around.. also need to allow for take down of the frame if the owner moves out of the store.
    There is a height limitation (aircon/power outlets) and a barista who is 2m tall (!!). Just part of the 3D puzzle that was this project.

The solution was to just overengineer the steel mass.. so we have about 250kg of frame.. the legs are essentially unsupported.. but we will be clamping them to the bench where the coffee machine is.. without clamping the amount of movement is about 1mm.. so the design is good enough for what we want to do (and can be taken down relatively easily like a big meccano set).

Spyder6052 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

The software is great.. there is a tablet to program/control the machine and all parameters. The training is cool.. you can define your positional waypoints really quickly then fine tune, set up the automations very easily with a point and click GUI.

Yeah the team who now have the job of programming the arm and linking to the point of sale + coffee machine have the job of making it worksafe. Whilst in development mode, the arm is designed to pivot up (it's a bloody heavy counterweight!) out of the way so on a normal day, it's off and completely above the workspace.

8. OP
    OP
    Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

Some (final) updates..

i. Had to extend the arm for the robot to where the team wanted it
    ii. Weighing 45kg and being 1.5m long, its too heavy to get on a ladder and lift the robot out of the way when not in use.
    iii. A way to lock the arm in the upward position .. can you spot it ?

The solution! A cheap $165 Transmission Hoist with an extension welded onto it.. who wishes it was that easy ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally Mesh simulates a dynamic load..

[​IMG]

juzz86 likes this.
  9. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

This is hella cool, I'm super impressed with the weight capacity, and the speed/accuracy, that's absolutely mental! Great work !!

Andrew_Wong likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Andrew_Wong

Andrew_Wong Member

Some updates.. now the big stuff is in place, Mesh asked me to help with further development.

So today was the first time I really did aluminium machining with my CNC.. we need a custom part to enable robot to handle a group head.

The Robot has fingers and a metal interface is needed (due to high temps, accuracy and the mass)

[​IMG]

Here's the initial mockup:

[​IMG]

Finally got my feeds/speeds where I want them.. 5 operations to get a part out (bore the 12mm hole, cut the slot, cut the pocket for the finger, chamfer the edges, cut out the full part)

[​IMG]

And voila ! Off to an experienced TIG welder to make them look pretty.

[​IMG]

11. Cererus

Cererus Member

Have you looked into single flute cutters for aluminium and mist/air blast lubrication, much better suited to flatbed router based machines