Camping General Thread

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by miicah, Jul 17, 2019.

1. mmBax

mmBax Member

Ended up going for a huge trip, to the back yard. I'd promised the kids, and the weather was looking sketchy, so we didn't make it far.
    Was a good trial run with the 3 kids, we were worried about the eldest but he was the best behaved, the youngest was also pretty good and slept after a slight cry. The middle child was the pesty brat that through the biggest tantrum and kept us up on and off all night.

Was a bit warm, looking forward to the temp dropping 5 degrees or so overnight. I think it was still 28ish at 9.
    Maiden voyage of the camp oven as well, that was a hit.
    And apparently I also need to repair my mattress, has a slight leak where the valves are glued into the fabric.

https://i.imgur.com/ACed2VJ.jpg

miicah likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

I'm all booked in the school holidays for a 3 day solo trip down to Tyalgum, on a private property near the Oxley river.

Eating, sleeping and swimming, can't wait.

clonex likes this.
  3. omen_child

omen_child Member

I'm finally going to get to use my camping trailer this weekend - got three days down the coast, can't wait.

clonex likes this.
  4. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Hi Guys :) - I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to try and sell a used Camper Trailer - I have a thing on Facebook of course - Not going to use Gumtree - Saw some websites but they seem a little scattered not sure what traction I would get?
    Anyone got some ideas on where to put it?

5. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

caravancampingsales.com.au ?? other then yeah gumtree and facebook

Sven76 likes this.
  6. apsilon

apsilon Member

That's where I sold mine though it's been a few years. Quick and easy sale for asking price, both parties very happy. Bloke drove down from QLD IIRC, picked it up and drove back.

Sven76 likes this.
  7. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Don't think there's a thread for thru-hiking or lightweight hike/camping is there?

I'm heading up to Richards Campgrounds (VIC) tonight, should arrive around 10pm. Setting up the tent, sleep, and then early morning Saturday going to do the Beeripmo Walk and stop/setup camp overnight at Beeripmo Campgrounds, then finishing off the trail on Sunday back towards Richards campsite for the car. https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0021/26274/Beeripmo_Walk.pdf

This is going to be my first proper overnight hike and I've done a fair amount of research for lightweight gear for such trips. I'm new to this, have done plenty day hikes but never camped between. As it's my first time, most of my gear is yet to be tested so we'll see how we go on this not so beginner friendly hike. My bag, excluding the clothes I am wearing, water and food consumables weighs in approximately 7.5kg which isn't too bad. Not ultralight specs, but still within lightweight territory.

You can find a list of my gear here: https://lighterpack.com/r/vmwm8p

I've yet to update it but there is a Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag liner which adds about 8degrees of warmth. First time doing an overnighter with lightweight gear and its on a possible 2 and 4 degree nights... let's see how we go.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    ShadowBurger and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  8. clonex

clonex Member

i would say FB or GT, thats what i mostly stroll.

caravansales site good for ideas but doubt i would buy off there. What camper you got?

9. apsilon

apsilon Member

I'd suggest trying it out in your backyard first. At the very least set everything up and make sure nothing is missing or broken. No first aid kit? No trowel to bury your waste and no baggies to carry it out? Purely out of curiosity, what are your prices based on?

10. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Its just a 2016 Mars Forward Fold Camper - Its good for what it is we just want to upgrade some stuff now we know more about what we are looking at and use.

11. clonex

clonex Member

still sticking with a camper?

12. Sven76

Sven76 Member

We would like to go full caravan but at around $50k minimum to get into something we would be happy with and then probably $5k in changes after (cause they never have everything you want) its more than we want to spend. We don't camp a lot but like having the option to go camping - so at this stage going with an upgraded model of camper that is quicker to set up and "Tailored" better. So everything fits how it should.

clonex likes this.
  13. clonex

clonex Member

still forward fold?

Mrs is more the caravan type but she was impressed by the bushwakka bhoma at recent expo but yeah like you say 50k is min entry really into anything decent.

14. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

First aid kit is being provided along with the group. 4 of us in total. Two of them have first aid kits, trowel, etc. They told me to chill out for my first hike and they'll bring it and I can save on the costs and weight and see if I'm into the hobby or not.

Regarding prices, those prices displayed on my list is what I paid from various outlets shopping online and waiting for sales etc..

Lastly, I've tested the tent out and made sure of its components and stability. Seems good. Can always bunk with another bloke if it doesn't work out hahah.

Heading out shortly boys. Wish me luck

GumbyNoTalent and Sven76 like this.
  15. apsilon

apsilon Member

Ah OK, I assumed you were going solo. You got some great buys in there. Have fun.

16. Sven76

Sven76 Member

They do look nice - If i needed clearance for 4X4 camping I would consider Hybrid - Main reason we wanted a Caravan was super quick set up all stuff we need already in van and then toilet and shower - Shower and toilet are not a critical need so happy to still go with camper.
    New camper will again be forward fold as to look at hybrids its about same money as the van we would buy. I was actually surprised at the market for the hybrids as they are not cheap - I assume all the "Outback Touring" people want them?

17. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Well I have survived my first trek and camp through Beeripmo Walk and what a learning experience this was. I had a fantastic time and definitely a lot to take in and bring to the next adventure. This was great fun and I am looking for recommendations for another overnight trip within Victoria. To summarize the trip and give some feedback on my gear, experience etc etc:

Started off driving up to Richards Campgrounds and arriving there around 10:15pm on Friday night. Setup my Naturehike Cloud Up 1 Upgraded tent within 10 or so minutes. We made a fire right away from arrival and had a few beers around the campfire and was fairly comfortable as this first night was 'out of car' camping basically so we had the luxury of beers, fold out chairs and extra layers of clothing. This Friday night was according to Google the colder night at 3-4 degrees. Slept around midnight and felt quite cold to the face as my tent was facing with my entry towards the wind which had come from beneath the vestibule

Woke up about 7:30am and took our time packing up, had breakfast and packed away any bulky/luxury items like the beers, chairs and clothing that was not needed for the hike to Beeripmo campsite. Given we slept at Richards the night before, we had the early morning advantage to get ahead of any hikers and other campers heading to Beeripmo for the Saturday morning. Left site around 9, taking our time packing up. Once on the trail, for reference, taking the Beeripmo walk Clockwise is very challenging (for me) at the start up to Raglan Falls with lots of incline - as someone not too accustomed with hiking and loading a 13kg bag for the first time, this activated my quads and I didn't really do a proper stretch prior and ended up getting some leg cramps. Not fun. We took a decent amount of breaks during the hike towards Beeripmo to allow my legs to rest but any time we heard people behind us closing the gap, we would up the pace to get away! None of us tracked time but I think we took about 4 to 4.5hours getting there around 1:00-1:30pm. There were a few campers already settled there and from what I could see about 4-5 spots with a campfire. My mate mentioned at the start he wanted to snag the fireplace at the back, which also has a large wooden table and this spot was more secluded from the rest of the site and thank our lucky stars we got what he wanted. Our spot was lovely, at the back, away from the other campers and much more private with our own table. After a few hours, maybe 3-4pm a lot more people came along and there was no spots left around a fireplace so they just pitched around in other areas without a fire. I'm very glad at this point we got here early enough to secure a fireplace.

When we arrived, we setup our tents and immediately began sourcing firewood. We were the only campers there with a saw and axe and we were able to cut up plenty of logs (from dead/fallen trees) to last us several hours and setup a self-feeding fire with little to no maintenance. We could see other campers scrambling around for any usable sticks and twigs to fuel their fire almost every 30 minutes and once again I was so glad to have some experienced campers with me on this trip. We did have someone approach us enquiring about our logs and we lent them the saw and axe for a bit but other groups never asked so they didn't get :). It was so amazing sitting around the fire and chilling and resting my tired legs. Brought a few games (Love Letter & Hive) which was great to pass time. Sleeping at the Beeripmo Campgrounds, although Google said it was 6-7 degrees which was warmer than the first night, it felt a hell of a lot colder to me. I had to layer up all my clothes which was 1x thermal tshirt, 1x merino tshirt for the hike, 1x thermal longsleeve shirt. My naturehike CW300 sleeping bag has a comfort rating of 9degrees and a S2S Sleeping Bag Thermotelite Reactor Liner which adds about 8 degrees of warmth. I was still a wee bit cold but once I fell asleep I was fine. The morning I could feel the cold once again however. In hindsight, I did not expect us to choose this colder weekend and I originally planned to only hike during warmer weather and never expected 3-7 degree nights.

Sunday mornings return trip starts off with a high elevation incline, took us about 25minutes to scale this part but good thing its at the start so we were still full of energy. After that it gets relatively easy with minor incline and decline and no steps so we flew through the return very quickly within 2.5 hours with only 1 short 5minute rest.

Overall, this was a fantastic trip. I had been meaning to go with my friends who are experienced for quite some time and despite reviews saying this trek is on the harder rating scale and requires some experience, I was able to pull through and I'm proud of this achievement. I did extensive research regarding the best possible lightweight gear on a budget which you can refer to on my Lighterpack (https://lighterpack.com/r/vmwm8p) and I think I did an okay job and didn't spend too much for all my gear which was purchased over a lengthy period of time in anticipation and waiting for sales/bargains to jump on. At the start of the trip, inclusive of food and water (3.5L of water) the total bag weight was around 12.5kg. I think my next upgrade may be the bag itself as my current one weighs in at 1.9kg and these newer Ultralight packs are weighing in less than a kilo. I'll probably be keeping my sleeping bag as I doubt our next trip will be this cold and most likely in a warmer season but in future will definitely get a second bag for much colder environments rated into the negatives. I'm excited for the next one so will be looking into what to attack next and I'll constantly be updating my Lighterpack as I research more and invest into different gear to shave some more weight off. I want to try and achieve a 10KG bag inclusive of water/food for 2-3days.

miicah and Sven76 like this.
  18. Sven76

Sven76 Member

Nice work

If you getting cramps you can also take tablets that wont take up much space - Option 1 is just good old salt tablets - I personally use electrolyte tablets - take 2 when starting off then 2 every hour in heavy exercise they have helped my cramping no end.

iMomOx3 and connico like this.
  19. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

Cheers for the suggestion! I'll look into it on the next trip.

I could have avoided this had I done a proper stretch prior to the start of the hike and I don't know if this contributed or not, but I had a very light breakfast. Prior to this trip I had been on a low calorie diet and my appetite has become quite small. Saturday morning I only had a single serve pack of those Uncle Tobys instant oats kinda thing... On the return hike from Beeripmo Campsite back to Richards Campsite I had a much larger and heartier breakfast as well as did a decent 5 minute stretch and despite my muscles being ache-y and sore as if I had done legs at the gym the night before I had no issues, no cramps and we powered through the return trip with only 1 short break.

20. clonex

clonex Member

i figure its benefits of easier storage as some will fit into a standard height garage just and wont be much taller than most 4x4's on the market.

maybe slightly lighter?