1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Camping General Thread

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by miicah, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Stasis

Stasis Member

Moreton island can be done on foot without a car, walk on/off the barge and onto the camp ground.

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

What about my camping gear though?

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

We (myself and the gf) did a hiking/camping trip through Queen Charlotte Track in NZ's south island last year. Best trip ever. Keeping everything minimal was the key. Can thoroughly recommend it if anyone wants a brilliant camping/hiking trip :thumbup:

miicah likes this.
  4. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Just got back from Murray Sunset N.P.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Smoothie, miicah and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  5. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

I went to Amity Point (Nth Stradbroke) with a tent, sleeping bag, esky, snorkeling kit, fishing gear, food and water via the ferry and then hitched - got a lift within 15minutes and they guy was so impressed I had all my gear he drove me all the way to the camp grounds 30minute drive away. That was when I was in my 30's mind you and wouldn't do it nowadays due to a crook back.

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/moreton-island/camping.html#the_wrecks_campground

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  6. Splade

Splade Member

Spent 2 weeks in May out and about in western qld/northern nsw.

Just about to head up to cape York again

Oblig. Nindigully pic
    [​IMG]

Our group at the Music in the Mulga festival near Eulo
    [​IMG]

If you’re into the camping thing I thoroughly recommend the wikicamps app. Especially if you’re on the road with no fixed itinerary.

GumbyNoTalent and ShadowBurger like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

39468140_623368050422_285841231873835008_n.jpg

I got to ride my mates VFR when I wasn't on my opens, he wasn't too impressed when I zoomed past him on my LAMS bike lol

That was an epic day, about 700km in total. Biggest I've ever done on the bike.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Got my upgrade from a swag camper last weekend. Is a bit ruff, canvas is shot, well lets say I'll be doing a lot of patching to get all the holes fixed but will do for the time being, needs a good clean and paint.
    20190208_01.png 20190208_02.png 20190208_03.png

However, took some time till I found a cheap project trailer which was truely a off road trailer with independent suspension.
    20190208_04.png

If only work would let up so I could spend time on my hobbies.

jimbogimp and miicah like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

Man, it's so hard to find places that allow camp fires in QLD. NSW seems to have the right idea with their national parks. I guess QLDers are idiots and would burn the place down

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

NSW can be very sensitive with their fire bans, whereas QLD seems quite relaxed (at least when I've been going camping).

If you search for camp fires allowed on the government site there are quite a lot of them, then there's the private places which most of the time allow them.

My main issue is finding camp fires, toilets and something to swim in, all in one place. There are heaps of private places that do it but I prefer the government owned sites, after going to Gordon Country it kind of put me off a little although I'm sure not all are like that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  11. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Never had an issue with campfires where I went and most places also supply the wood.

Here is a site with excellent filters;
    https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/list.php?facility=5

12. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I understand fire restrictions in some circumstances, not wanting people cutting down trees & collecting wood from the park n such. But I'm not a big fan of being told by the ranger to put out a fire in the middle of a drizzly winters day when I brought my own wood and have it all contained in my snowpeak fire pit.
    Camping without a fire is like ... um ... brushing your teeth, no ...um, beer without ... um... it sux!
    Meh ... at least they didnt fine me. :)

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Were fires allowed though?

I trust that if a fire isn't allowed in a camping area its for a good reason.

14. power

power Member

my camping trip got canned last weekend, so bummed oh well maybe next year.

15. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

Well, I drove in late at night and didnt see any signs ...but then got up in the morning I saw quite a few signs lol.
    nah fair's fair, I totally shouldnt have had the fire going :)

It does suck turning up to a campsite only to find out no fires though! We did a lap of Australia 2 years ago - Totally hanging out for the end of the SA fire ban season (April I think?) then we crossed the border and straight into WA fire ban season. NOOOOoooo!

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Does anyone have cool/interesting camping equipment?

The last thing I purchased was a shower tent + Bunnings water drum + $35 battery shower and its amazing. As long as its not winter I should be able to heat the drum in the sun.

17. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I got this portable street fighter thing working but havent tried it outside yet.

Man this thread has got me all distracted today. I'm in planning stages for my next major trip in 2020 heading up to Uluru, MacDonnel Ranges, Simpson Desert (not crossing, just visiting), Lake Eyre, Flinders Ranges, Strzelecki, Cameron Corner...
    Anyone got some "Hot Tips" for camping/locations/sites/must visits around that (rather wide) area?

bart5986 likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

Yeah I'm writing up a 6 day trip down to do the Oxley/Thunderbolts/Putty road for September :)

19. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Pics or it never happened..........

2001 - had an early mid-life crisis and went to uni as construction was going to kill me (wear every part pf my body out). 2003 finished my B.Sci in Ecol Cons Biol applied and got summer scholarship (4 weeks work in a Molecular Ecology Lab (DNA stuff which I was really good at) for 4KAUD). After having lived on AUSTUDY at $140 a week for that past 3 years, all clothes falling of me, that 4K was massive.

Packed a Toyota Corolla AE82 1985 model with tents, esky, missus (Japanese) and MIL and drove from Brisbane to Tassie (down the west side and up) and back, only camping in National Parks excepting for 1 night for the 24 days. 7000KM round trip. I have some pics of Eastern Spotted Quolls, etc, etc.

My best so far - but I hope I have more to come that are at least that raw and feeling.

20. Splade

Splade Member

I'm not sure if it's a common thing, but I went during school holidays from west to east and there was no fuel at Mt Dare. Luckily i had topped off the tanks and jerries at Kulgera. Just enough to get me to birdsville. They said there was fuel coming while I was there but there were heaps of vehicles waiting. Heading through the desert I tuned in to the 4wD network on the HF radio and people were still reporting no fuel by the time I'd made it across the desert

There where quite a lot of people on the French and QAA lines during that time

Edit. If you're going all the way to the Simpson desert from Yulara you may as well drive across

Also, the road from Mt Dare to Dalhousie turned rough real fast. I ended up letting a bunch of air or of the tyres but it was still like driving on a cobble stone road with wooden tyres