1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Camping General Thread

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by miicah, Jul 17, 2019.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So you think Gordon Country is good? I hope so because it is a most excellent camp sites.

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Sorry but I meant that I didn't like it.

1. Too many people, its more crowded then a maximum booked government camp ground. (It was a public holiday weekend)

2. Even with half the people, the entire site would be full of people as well as workers at gordon country etc. Then there's the events like the wedding they had on.

3. I wasn't a big fan of the 4WD Track, mostly because of the long stretches that only have the width for one 4wd, but its two lane traffic which causes all sorts of issues and blockages.

4. Noise, Since they allow chainsaws you can often hear people using a chainsaw (or maybe this was the staff no idea). We also found a lot of the campers to be very noisy, which makes sense as it seems to be geared towards familys and kids. I also found many people driving late and night to the toilets, headlights and vehicles are not what you want to hear while camping.

I didn't really understand what I was getting myself into, I'm sure there are plenty of people who like that sort of thing.

My idea of camping is complete silence except the sound of the fire.

In contrast the last time I went camping, on a public holiday weekend I saw something like 15-20 strangers for the whole camping trip, the toilets were barely used, the lake was ours, the entire beach had barely any people.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

firey4059 likes this.
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I probably should have mentioned that we wanted to be within 15 minute walk to a bathroom.

After driving around for ages we asked staff and they confirmed that to be somewhere secluded we would be very far away from a bathroom.

This is kind of obvious as people don't want to have to drive every time they want to pee.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Well not obvious to me, when we go camping being close to a toilet is second to not being near any other people so the experience is guaranteed to be apleasant one.

Also recommend Levuka.
    http://www.levuka.com.au/

6. Splade

Splade Member

I've got a stove top milk frother. Camping cappuccinos!

I have an HF radio for the real remote stuff. I hooked it up to Twitter so friend and family can follow me. Https://whereisgav.goldenrivet.xyz
    A bit of nerdiness while camping

Smoothie, firey4059 and bart5986 like this.
  7. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

for the record, we had campsites big enough for a dozen groups completely to ourselves at Murray-Sunset. Crosby Lake and Rocket Lake campgrounds were both empty and had toilets

8. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

That's awesome! Is that an automated set up that you have put together?

9. GoneFishin22

GoneFishin22 Member

Winter is always awesome for some peaceful camping and Gomburra, Girraween and even Main Range NP's (The Lost Trail) were awesome without others to bother us.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  10. Splade

Splade Member

I wrote the code that receives the email and publishes to twitter and did the Wordpress stuff. That part is just a python script run by crontab.

The base that receives the transmission from the radio and sends the email is part of the HFRCs network. I would have liked to build my own setup for receiving the transmission but it’s more versatile to use one of the HFRCs bases.

ShadowBurger likes this.
  11. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

64 days... Gav needs to go somewhere soon by the looks of it.

ShadowBurger likes this.
  12. Splade

Splade Member

2 weeks until I leave for cape York :)

Nethiuz likes this.
  13. clonex

clonex Member

mrs reckon im crazy to wanna go camping as its winter, surely its just her that thinks so?

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not at all, camping is about roughing it right? Otherwise you might as well stay at home :p

I say go for it, live a little uncomfortably for a short while and come home and appreciate your creature comforts again.

15. apsilon

apsilon Member

Winter's the best time by far. Usually no fire ban so you can have a campfire, far few insects to bother you, if you're cold just sit closer to the fire or put on another layer of clothes whereas if it's too hot there's nothing you can do plus more people stay home so it's easier to find a spot. Actually now that I think of it, nah don't go camping in winter, your mrs is right. Stay home with Netflix.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  16. clonex

clonex Member

atm i dont think itll be too quiet with school holidays in a few weeks and the fact that people are finally allowed to travel within the state.

17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Love winter camping provided its not raining, less people, camp fire, good thermals and sleeping bad.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

It definitely beats January camping where you just sit there sweating from the humidity.

The main two downsides in my opinion are no water activities and some places are very very cold at night so you have have the right sleeping gear.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think it will coincide with the start of thefinancial year. We’re already seeing talk of it by the states.

20. clonex

clonex Member

everythinks pretty much booked out especially if you want powered site.