1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Camping General Thread

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by miicah, Jul 17, 2019.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I think people are itching to get out after being stuck in because of covid.

2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Nothing crazy about it, nobody wants to sit around a fire in summer and if you camp and don't fire you are doing it wrong.

I've just organised a couple camping short one nighters next week in the close area, ones a geothermal hot creek/spring and because it's up the range even being Far north QLD it gets to below 0. Mmm hot river. Taking the drone and plenty of beers.

Where's your next spot?

zeggie likes this.
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Mrs and I are thinking of doing a camping/hike trip to Cradle Mountain in Tassie, going over by boat :thumbup:

Around oct.

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. TomJ

TomJ Member

This is foreign to me but I am buying up camping gear as well and changing from my M3 to something like an Audi Allroad or Subi Outback (what's wrong with me?)

Anyone is Perth who heads down to Dunsborough, Yallingup, Walpole, Denmark, Albany, Esperance... got any tips?

I've installed and paid for Wikicamps and it seems like a must have app to find all the amenties you need like hot showers.

5. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

Yep I keep looking at 4WDs and softroaders, I know I wont use it enough to be worth it though haha

Hoping to do some camping the first week of the holidays, will see what's left available up near Bundy

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

If you have room just buy a cheap old 4WD like a Pajero, Prado, Jeep etc for when you do want to go.

However 1st just join a 4WD club and ask for a tag along ride, or Facebook group plenty around. As for camping and gravel roads most are accessible with a high clearance 2WD provided it doesn't rain.

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I looked into this

When you factor in rego, servicing (even if you don't use it) and insurance, its not really worth it unless you need a 4wd regularly.

Its a shame all the newer cars are AWD's and don't go on sand very well.

mAJORD and Nethiuz like this.
  8. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

You don't need an offroad car to go camping, heck i've taken the commodore all over the country, on some hectic shit, turned up and been the only non 4wd in the campsite with funny looks. Re-think buying another car for something you might do once and hate. This includes a beach without bogging ;)

TomJ Hot showers? You have no idea what camping is.

TomJ likes this.
  9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

What do you mean by this? You take your commodore to 4WD only sites? Not stradbroke beach or similar though right?

10. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Straddy lol, not a chance, it has been on mainland beaches.

No i wouldn't take it to 4WD only accessible sites, but it's been in some mud, sand and lots of dirt. Obviously somewhere i'd need under body clearance it would be no good, but i still travelled most of the country in it, been to many sites where i was the only person without a 4wd and it was fine. My point was don't go and waste money on a larger car if you're barely gonna use it in the 1% of 4WD only places.

I have owned a Pajero in the past, was good, but i didn't see the need for it when i barely went properly off-road and being the petrol variant, man fuel was shit. I much prefer the luxury and power of the SV6.

On topic, BCF is having so many damn sales, bought tents and chairs recently. Corona sales are great.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  11. TomJ

TomJ Member

Nethiuz not yet... I hope there's a Woolies nearby though.

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

what happend to you lifting a falcon? :p

Nethiuz likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

haha yeah that died in the arse didn't it?

I still have it, but now having a kid means a 2 seater is kinda useless. Have to choose between the dog, mrs and baby.

14. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

11 years ago now, I was good friends with my landlords sons, and they popped around one Thursday evening and said, do you want to go camping, we're going on the weekend. I'm in.

They had gone the year before, up the alpine national park way and camped in the snow, and were up for doing that again.

We drove up the mountains and got to the place they had camped last time, no snow there at all. Kept going and hit a closed road gate, there was a sprinkling of snow there, so we jumped the gate and camped on the road right there.

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

15. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Was booked to go Camping yesterday through today and to tomorrow, but decided no to in favour for working tomorrow.
    Lucky i didn't, it's been absolutely pissing down for 18 hours straight now! Still it better bloody fine up next week, been 7 months of rain and counting!

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Red faces and coke.....yup, looks like a camping piss up to me :leet:

Nethiuz likes this.
  17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Modern 4x4 is comparable to 2wd SUV in comfort, easy to drive and fuel economy, don't see owning a modern 4x4 as a disadvantage to owning any of the soft road SUVs that families tend to buy these days.

I drove my Kia Rio I had a few years ago to the Tully Falls hydro dam, was funny as seeing a group of Defender drivers with all the fruit on looking at the low 2WD driving on the dirt road that had a few ruts that required some straddling so not bottom out, the looks on their faces was priceless, the track was just a dirt road not what I would call a 4WD track. Same car traveled the channel country out past Birdsville along the Diamantina highway down from Mt Isa before it was fully bitumen, not from Birdsville end cause that road is always wrecked, again loved the looks I got from the cow cockies when I turned up at the cattle station in a Kia Rio, mind you it was dry... like drought dry for 3 years.

mAJORD and Nethiuz like this.
  18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

haha awesome, i was there last week in the Commodore, also went out to Innot Hot Springs, Atherton, Ravenshoe etc etc, waterfalls galore.
    Yeah i am looking into a 4wd as i get a lot into camping, the Commodore is shithouse on fuel, a nice 4 Cyl TD 4x4 would use less and cost less rego being 4 cyl. Been waiting for a proper Hybrid 4x4, not SUV. But nothing of yet. The Hybrid Camry's are awesome.
    Christ the new Hilux is a complete rip-off of the Triton, shame Toyota! Don't mind the Ranger these days.

19. clonex

clonex Member

mate took his santa fe to moreton and another family friend takes their outlander regularly, the outlander i think has more ground clearance than the santa fe iirc.
    Ive seen one of those early 90's AWD corollas basically gliding on top of the soft stuff at fraser flying past everyone else.

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Fraser is pretty easy unless it's super high tide, when i lived down south i used to go yearly, i shit you not i seen a falcon with a trailer going down the beach.
    Some creek crossing aren't the best though. I used to work on Moreton Island driving boats and that's a little more decent for 4wd action i think!

Was planning to move camping to next week but it looks like solid rain through, it's the bloody dry season what is going on? It's been raining since December here.