Camping General Thread

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by miicah, Jul 17, 2019.

1. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

PRO TIP

Fire starters are no longer required as most people have hand sanitizer, read the label most gel based sanitizers are 75%+ alcohol and work a treat, goop some on your wood and its a nice slow burn. :thumbup:

Nethiuz likes this.
  2. Luno

Luno Member

Gotta get a new camping Matt and noticed bcf has a good club member sale on the wonderer extreme double $140 down from $240. Anyone used one feedback?

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

'even projects in the shed!' yeah i'm gonna vacuum seal my bolts in a bag ok

love when the kid pulls out his vacuum sealed sandwich and its compressed into a pancake

looks alright except in practice i doubt bags will be reusable for long once they develop leaks. keen to hear how it goes though, keep us updated

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

MEH $100 for enough shite to last me 1-2 years camping (at the current rate of participation).

6. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I have the Queen and it's really good, (Only $161 atm i would go the bigger one) the other brand they sell is thinner but these are 12cm thick and surprisingly i couldn't feel the floor with the mrs beside me, she gets off and if i lie sideways i could just touch it with the hip.
    Went to this after having dramas with a proper airbed, sure it lasted a while but was a cheapy.
    They are quite long rolled up and didn't fit in the car properly, i just folded it over and rolled it up, twice as fat but a much better length for packing. They do take up a lot more space than both a deflated airbed and compressor though, but i always pack the compressor regardless.

I would recommend.

Best tip is once you think it's full, close all but one valve, use your breath to add a touch more thickness as when the night cools down the air contracts inside.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Luno likes this.
  7. Luno

Luno Member

i had to get the queen anyway haha all the doubles were sold out. Also bought this really cool side add on to a 3x3 gazebo when I was there. It basically a side tent attachment that sleeps 2-3. Not sure when I’ll use it but if we get a couple of stragglers come along camping easy to fit them in. Plus it was $100 down from like $260 so couldn’t pass up.

Nethiuz likes this.
  8. clonex

clonex Member

folks have a sunbeam vacsealer and it comes with those reusable bags as well.

I guess lot of plastic waste if people use the one off use ones daily like those fulltime on the road.

9. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

Went camping for the first time in ages (fires -> baby -> virus) and couldn't be happier.

Stopped off at Glasshouse mtns lookout and a bunch of OLD school bikes turned up:

IMG_20201010_151402.jpg IMG_20201010_152741.jpg

Went to a youcamp (now hipcamp) at Mt Mee, got set up, made some dinner and watched the Panthers win.

IMG_20201010_172907.jpg IMG_20201010_190725.jpg

Did find a rip in the floor of my tent, how do you repair the tarp style floors? I was thinking duct tape on both sides for a quick and easy fix...

Nethiuz and Smoothie like this.
  10. apsilon

apsilon Member

That would certainly work as a short term fix at least though I've used gaffer tape to patch a hole left on an old Land Rover from where the LPG filler was removed that lasted years. 3M make an exterior grade duct tape that I'd recommend.

11. ozz

ozz Member

the general multipurpose patch works on anything

12. clonex

clonex Member

you watched the 2003 GF game while camping?:lol:

Nethiuz likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

semi final game lol

clonex likes this.
  14. money_killer

money_killer Member

Last weekend Been camping on rabbit island just off seaforth qld, north of mackay. Boat broken so canned it. Fixed boat Now on holidays at anges waters with the family for a week in a rent a home. will post pics later

GumbyNoTalent and Nethiuz like this.
  15. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Just did a night at East Trinity (Cairns). Amazing there was such pristine untouched area so close to the City, heck you can even drive on the damn beach, such a beautiful nice beach facing Fitzroy Island.
    I usually go an hour or three for one nighters but this is 2km from the CBD.
    Having said that there is no bridge due to the massive ships that come in so it's a 45 min drive around. I mean shit that wouldn't even fit under Brisbane's Gateway so yeah it will never connect unless tunnel.

16. clonex

clonex Member

money_killer

Hows that hybrid mdc of your? any issue/complaints.

We took the father in laws trackabout for 5 days but mrs thought it was too much work. Refuses to acknowledge that using someone elses stuff will always be a gigantic shitfest.

She wants a hardfloor camper with beds either side so off the ground instead but im
    thinking the hybrid is about the only way to go unless buying a old pop top caravan hopefully without rot.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  17. timsarg

timsarg Member

there is a company called camprite that do a trailer that folds out with beds on each side but storage space is limited and they are bloody exxy. I am narrowing down to a 11-13 foot hybrid from stoney creek or mdc

18. clonex

clonex Member

mrs wants something like a austrack telegraph or mdc cruizer slide, both forward folding.
    Need beds at both ends as the ones with bed only at drawbar ends and and dining area that converts into bed will drive her nuts OCD/bed need making/too much trouble everyday:lol:

stoney creek etc all do their own variation of everything. Was hoping to go to the caravan expo at rna(i think) this weekend but wont be able to.

Realistically she refuses to concede she needs a hybrid or poptop caravan of some sort.

Neighbours got a jayco swan outback iirc or expanda and that things appreciated atleast 10k since the start of the year:p

Bugger buying secondhand, rather wait 4-5 months

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  19. timsarg

timsarg Member

if its a swan it's a small compact pop top. if its the expanda it's a hybrid with the roof that pops up like an mdc forbes . My neighbour has an expanda and looking at the current market he could make about $10K from what he paid for it :)

20. clonex

clonex Member

Moreton Island vs north straddie?

GO!!!!