Can anyone recommend any non t-box PVR devices?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by antipody, Mar 8, 2018.

1. antipody

antipody Member

I disconnected my telstra landline a few months ago and they've been pricks and disabled the tbox I got with that ADSL.

They won't allow me to use another internet provider to update the guide and do series recordings.

The box is an ok device when connected to Telstra but now that I no longer have Telstra I'm after something else.

I want good recording functionality so an up to date Guide is a must.

Can anyone recommend a decent PVR that is as good as if not better than a t-box?

2. miicah

miicah Member

T-box has no functionality now anyway, only the basic OTA TV guide.

3. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Its nice and compact. I can leave my TV on top of it. Anyway they killed it now, so it's on to greener pastures. What is good these days?

4. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I'm not too sure what the t-box actually does. But pvr's seem to be going out of fashion.
    The new thing seems to be Kodi boxes with TV Channel apps which let you watch live tv and catch up episodes whenever you want.
    Assuming your internet speeds will allow for decent streaming

5. miicah

miicah Member

Fetch TV is probably the closest thing now that I think of it. Or just paying Foxtel $10/month for an iQ3

6. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

No, I'm not interested in any streaming service. Just want to be able to record and watch, pause rewind etc all the free to air channels.

So, just after some kind of PVR box with a couple of tuners, a decent HDD and TV guide functionality

7. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

Bumpy...

Can't believe I have a fully functioning hardware that used to do exactly what I want, sitting here in the form of a T-box that is about to join the e-waste pile thanks to Telstra disabling it....

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

A fetch tv box will do what you want. But i think theres a $5/month fee

9. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Buy an xbox one. Yes, I'm serious.

I'm a member of the pc master race. Have been for years. I only game on a PC. But I bought an xbox one with Kinect for $200 second hand for the loungeroom, along with the xbox tv tuner and a Talon media remote.

It is the BEST media box I've ever used. Connected to the internet, and oneguide is brilliant for recording and timeshifting. Because of Kinect, the I only need to turn the xbox on, and the xbox turns my tv and sony bluray home theatre system on. The xbox one S has a built in IR blaster, so you don't need the Kinect if you get one of these.

As an added bonus, all the streaming apps are there, both paid and FTA/freeview, and you can stream stuff over your network as well (I highly recommend plex for this).

10. MrTheSmurf

MrTheSmurf Member

We use a Fetch Mighty and it records TV. It also has apps for Netflix,Stan and catchup that we use. Theres a $1 activation fee - basicly so they have your details if you want to rent or buy a movie through them. You can add channel packs that have a monthly fee, but we didn't do that for a long time. Hope this helps.

https://www.fetchtv.com.au/packages/mighty

11. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Yeah Fetch TV is your best bet. $300 up front I think from memory but no ongoing charges unless you want extra channels.

It's a great PVR.

12. OP
    OP
    antipody

antipody Member

I have a one already. Why should I have to throw it away and spend money to do what this box made for and does perfectly well, when not disabled by Telstra?

Fucking Telstra.

13. wasas

wasas Member

A Beyondwiz (https://beyonwiz.com.au/) Will do what you ask. You need to pay for the subscription for icetv I think it is, for the tv guide, but aside from that they work great. Old mans been using 2 for the last 6 years, no issues with them at all. newer models have more playback options and codecs as well. not as smooth a interface as some systems but still all there and working.