Can DLNA do this?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by paultait, Oct 21, 2020.

1. paultait

paultait Member

Finally bought a smart TV but it doesn't have a Plex client :-( but it does have a DLNA client :) What I'd like to know is... do DLNA servers record what they are serving and mark that movie/episode as watched. Doesn't look like KODI does Hisense Q75 BTW running VIDAA

2. Elmf

Elmf Member

3. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Grab yourself one of the new Google Chromecast's with remote for $100. Essentially turns your TV in to a nice new android system with access to the ecosystem. Have one in our bedroom and plays everything back beautifully from the plex server (which is all in H.265).

sim36 likes this.
  4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

5. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

As far as I know Plex turned off all independent smart TV versions strangely about a week before the launch of the new Google Chromecast..... My Panasonic Plex stopped working prompting me to buy the above so their cunning plan worked. To be fair the Chromecast is VASTLY superior to what I had.

6. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

When the PLEX app stopped working on our 8 year old Samsung smart TV, I got a Voddafone TV. That being said, I don't think they are selling them anymore, so look at the Mi Box S

Deus_Ex_Machina likes this.
  7. power

power Member

looks like Plex is having some arguments with Google atm...?

https://forums.plex.tv/t/chromecast-w-google-tv-plex-content-on-the-for-you-tab/638452/29

Deus_Ex_Machina likes this.
  8. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

That's not really a prob for me. The Google TV interface is very "I found this for you, you may like this" centric and I think the issue in that thread if I read correctly is that it doesn't throw up suggestions based on what is on your Plex server as it's an online scraper (it's looking for Netflix, Amazon, Nine, 7+ etc etc). I pretty much just start the Plex app and go on the Chromecast.

I looked at the Mi Box S but it's getting on now and the new Chromecast simply ticks all the boxes. Vodafone TV's looked like great value units but yeah they have vanished.

Worth mentioning the Chromecast is a vastly different beast to it's predecessors. Yes you can "cast" stuff but it's real target market IMO is to turn every non Android TV into one and abolish the manufacturers custom "smart" platforms.

paultait likes this.