Can I see my max FTTN sync speed without an active NBN connection?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by mupman, Aug 11, 2019.

1. mupman

mupman Member

Would be really interested in seeing our maximum sync speed before committing to any NBN plan. I have a VDSL modem that I can plug in. I know it can tell me the maximum sync speed on an active NBN line, but what about an inactive one?

Potentially useful info:

This is a brand new house, so all new copper. We knocked down the old house (it was a rental property) but I don't know if the tenants had ever hooked up NBN.

The green NBN box is literally outside our property.

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Someone who works at an ISP or similar can look it up

caspian usually helps people out I think

3. caspian

caspian Member

until the line is physically connected, the best that can be done is an estimate based on database lookup. as guy.incogneto says, your ISP should have access to the NBN tools that will give them that estimate (although I sometimes suspect that the message gets lost in translation with resellers.)

OP, flick me your address if you want and I will check what is available.

4. OP
    OP
    mupman

mupman Member

thanks for your help guys, i'll send you a pm now caspian

when you say 'until the line is physically connected', what does this mean exactly in a FTTN area? i know in our old house (which was also a brand new build), we had FTTH and the first ISP i connected with had to send NBN Co out to physically run a fibre line from the street into the NTD in the garage. shouldn't FTTN be plug and play once i sign up with a provider, so to speak?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i'm hoping you've lodged all your paperwork with NBN Co?? too often i hear about people that have bought new properties or done a knock/down rebuild who haven't done everything required and when they go to sign up with NBN, they can't

6. OP
    OP
    mupman

mupman Member

good question... i haven't, but i believe the builder did (metricon)

i did have a back and forward email conversation with them about pricing for an NBN technology change to FTTP that we didn't end up going ahead with (apparently NBN Co want $600 + GST just to do a quote on this).

they didnt explicitly say that the home would be NBN ready but it was implied as they stated that only FTTN was available (which i already knew). there are also ethernet ports setup throughout the house and some sort of data cabinet in the garage... i'm out of the country at the moment and can't remember specifically what we have, but i'll certainly ask the question before final handover

7. caspian

caspian Member

this is a new house on the same location, not a subdivision or MDU replacing an SDU that creates new individual premises.

all that is required is for his ISP (not the developer) to contact NBN and advise the circumstances, NBN will roll back the service class for the location to never-connected so the new connection order triggers the requisite installations tasks.

that dropped to $330 some months ago, given a typical TCP is in the $12k range that shouldn't be a blocker to anyone seriously considering it - especially when the quote fee becomes part of the final cost if you proceed.

8. OP
    OP
    mupman

mupman Member

i agree, small amount compared to the cost of the actual implementation. at that stage i had no idea what i was up for, not even a ballpark. i have since found this compilation of quotes and decided that i didn't need it that badly:

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/nbn_technology_choice_program_quotes

before i saw this thread i was expecting $2000-3000 - i genuinely had no idea

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

The fibre shielding must be made out of the finest diamond encrusted gold ribbons, and have been personally blessed by the lips of Scomo, Tones and Malco

JSmithDTV likes this.
  10. caspian

caspian Member

I don't blink anymore at traffic control costs of $5k to run cable from pit to pit. there's no profit in the TCP.

11. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Haha, of course there is profit, just not really for NBN. Contractors love to pad the costs. Or they have a fixed price based on the worst possible situation. Like lets charge minimum 4 hours work for 20 mins work, or $75 for a patch lead. And they are so dumb, they will do whats on the sheet, nothing more but often less unless someone points it out to them. I've seen some shocking quotes in business, sometimes its justified but often they are taking the piss.

JSmithDTV and Nobby6 like this.
  12. caspian

caspian Member

that's why you have multiple contractors, and contract relations managers to keep them honest.

have you seen what a traffic controller earns per hour for holding a lollipop sign? what the insurance costs in a world ruled by liability management?