1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Can I trust iCloud?

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by wwwww, May 9, 2021.

1. wwwww

wwwww Member

I recall in the old days of cloud storage Google Photos would frequently replace copies with older copies and some files would disappear altogether, OneDrive would have sync inconsistencies when the size of the data got big, my question does this happen with iCloud today?

I'm considering putting in my whole documents folder into iCloud to sync it between systems but I'm worried about data loss, is this still valid concern? I realise there are going to be obligatory "backup backup backup" replies but I'm more worried about unrealised data loss, like source code files reverting to older versions which happened with OneDrive and still happens with Teams, then some code doesn't work properly and gets published and some web application doesn't work as intended until someone notices.

2. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

The answer to this is no. It's still very buggy.

l_ QuadX_l, Kommandant33 and Zee like this.
  3. alexc

alexc Member

I don’t store git repos in it!

Those I keep in my user folder, outside of iCloud!

Other than that, I have no issues.

I backup to a network Time Machine server, and also BackBlaze.

I use the space saving off load option, what ever it’s called, and have had zero issues in years.

Other than git repos… that confused the fuck out of it and so now I just have a /sites folder in my home dir.

No issues with synching photos, notes, calendars, contacts or anything between multiple Macs, iPhones and iPads.

I’m well over 2TB at this point! I had to buy Apple One and the 2TB iCloud plan!

4. OP
    OP
    wwwww

wwwww Member

I'm using it on Windows which is buggy. It would do all this weird stuff like create empty folders on iCloud drive in place of files. Renaming files led to losing both copies and it'll replicate by deleting copies from all my devices resulting in data loss.

I ended up building my own cloud sync software which just syncs files via VPN to a cloud Windows share. It's not perfect either but at least I understand the situations that'll cause it to mess up and it archives every copy of each file so every state of a file is recoverable. Only thing it has issues with are large frequently changing files (i.e. my Outlook pst files).

5. Current

Current New Member

You cannot trust any storage that you do not hold within your own hands.

Think about it, big companies use old tech with no interconnectivity hardware available and store important stuff on those machines due to the hardware for them being rare and therefore prohibitively expensive and hard to get a hold of and also no risk of intrusion from external access.

Sorry slight tangent there.

Just not safe for work Google search.... The fappening to see whether you can trust Apple cloud storage services....

6. Elmf

Elmf Member

Big companies use old tech with no interconnectivity? What like...AWS and Azure datacentres? :confused::confused::lol::lol: or Google...or Apple.

Whether it's secure is another question. But most peoples home networks aren't secure either.

7. Current

Current New Member

Like i said, it was a bit of a tangent. but companies that have secrets to hold digitally will keep them on a system that is air gapped and doesn't have networking capabilities and uses rare and/or obsolete hardware to further increase the safety of it being accessed :)

alexc likes this.
  8. alexc

alexc Member

Using iCloud on Windows...

Yeah, I'd imagine thats a hellscape LOL :-D

Rolling your own cloud sync is a pro move :)

9. i_trin

i_trin Member

There really is no issue with iCloudif you can’t use iCloud there is something wrong with you guys. It’s fool proof. Maybe you guys fiddle around with the stuff too much. But if you just leave it alone it works seamlessly. I’ve used it for at least 3 years and never have I lost data or had files not sync properly.

10. alexc

alexc Member

Have you used iCloud with:

1. GIT repos?
    2. Windows?
    :)

11. i_trin

i_trin Member

Nah. I wouldn’t because it’s not designed for that. You’d be better off using something designed for the problem you are wanting to solve. Like not trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. iCloud is designed for Apple devices. It isn’t designed for windows or git. For windows I would use something similar for the windows environment. For git I would use a git repository.

12. alexc

alexc Member

:lol: Well there ya go :-D

thats kinda the point being made... it's OK for some things. But when iCloud is wrapping the file system, don't expect the file system to behave like you normally would!

And the point about GIT repos... of course Git repos are used for Git! :)

The issue is with storing GIT repos in a file system thats wrapped by iCloud! :)

You clone a repo, icloud decides to offload some files, Git is then like - where'd da fuq my files go! LOL :lol:

13. i_trin

i_trin Member

There is an iCloud directory separate to the rest of the filesystem.

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Why on earth would you use a distributed source control system that can run over simple protocols or exist as a server stored in a proprietary third party system like iCloud?

Maybe it's Friday and maybe I'm tired, but sometimes we've got to stop doing things just because we can, and start thinking whether or not we're being sensible.

Same goes for you. Use a proper distributed version control system like Git. Hosting source code in things like iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox et al is a very bad idea.

Using iCloud for source hosting reminds me of when people used to RAID floppy disks.

15. alexc

alexc Member

Well... because... you might not realise you are doing it! :)

So before iCloud, there was nothing wrong with storing repos in your ~/Documents folder.

It was just another directory on your HFS+ file system.

But then, along comes iCloud Drive!

iCloud drive took some of your existing standard home directories and made them iCloud Directories!

Party Time... but not really...

iCloud then layers on the feature of "Store all files, photos and messages in iCloud and save space on this Mac automatically when it‘s needed."

All seems fine, until you start running out of drive space and iCloud silently begins offloading files in the background!

Suddenly running Git Status tells you that everything is farked!

So yeah, you could have been happily using your standard Documents folder for decades and then suddenly one day it's all wonky and confused! :)

16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

1) Well, there's lots wrong with HFS+, but that's for another thread

2) iCloud is not a folder on disk. You've got inode watchers, locks and semaphores, and all sorts of whacky stuff going on.

Comparing any on-disk system to some cloud nonsense with file locks is an error on logic.

I repeat: don't put actively edited source in iCloud/GDrive/OneDrive/DropBox. This isn't some rant about my subjective preference of vendor. This is me telling you there are technology issues that will screw your stuff up, so don't do it.

I also advise against using a spanner to hammer in a nail. Not all tools are alike, despite vague appearances to the layperson.

17. alexc

alexc Member

I know :)

I think we are agreeing! :)

My point is that people don't realise it is happening! :)

Apple don't make it clear what iCloud Drive is, and they just map it into your existing drive without really giving you a choice!