1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can iPad 3 be updated to a later iOS than 9.3.5?

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by dragokahn, Mar 8, 2020.

1. dragokahn

dragokahn Member

I have a Apple iPad 3 that still runs perfectly but being stuck on iOS 9 can't update many apps anymore.

Is their a way of side loading a later iOS like 11 onto the device? I've done this sort of thing with Android and files from XDA but don't spend anytime with Apple products to know the equivalent. Device is well out of warranty so not concerned on that front.

2. doug81

doug81 Member

Need to jailbreak it, but might just cause more problems than it solves. Maybe sell it and use funds towards a later model?

3. Hater

Hater Member

4. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

MIL gave the kids her old iPad mini, we could always use it but we would get popup messages about activating it by signing in, could always dismiss and all good. However, turned it on the other day, and now it has been activation locked

crap thing is, MiL doesn’t know her iTunes details as she pays someone to maintain it (yes you read that right, apparently it’s a thing in Asia)

Is it now literally a brick?

5. slavewone

slavewone Member

If you can prove ownership, Apple store might reset it.

Happened to my olds, inherited it from my late uncle and well, one day she got low level locked out*. It got nuked, but able to setup as a fresh device.

*Someone got into my late uncles Apple ID and locked the device down. My uncle clearly chose rememberable and my parents never understood why it needed to be secure.

6. Queenie

Queenie Member

Ownership, yes: You need the original receipt, or the contract from the carrier.

Otherwise you're stuffed, though I've heard of a machine in china that can rewrite it. Saw it used to reprogram the OS to think it had a larger HD.

supasaiyan likes this.