Can not see nas shared folders on the network

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Sabot68, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Sabot68

Sabot68 Member

Hi All,
    This is driving me crazy.
    I have a Qnap ts-469 pro nas with some shared folders on it that I can not map on my main computer. Both devices are plugged into the same router.
    Everything was fine until i did a complete reinstall of windows (7 ultimate) on my main computer, since then when I try to map a network drive the nas or the folders do not show up on the network.

From my main computer i can ping the ip address of the nas i can even ftp into the nas but I can not map any of the shared folders. I have checked access rights to the folders on the nas and it is set to read/write for everybody.

What am I missing?

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i have this exact same nas at work and i had to change a few local security settings in windows.

go to start-->search-->local security settings (sometimes you have to type secpol.msc instead)
    local policies-->security options-->in the right hand pane scroll down to: Network security: LAN Manager authentication level - change to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"

restart.

if that doesn't work, you may need to change one more.

Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) clients - tick both boxes.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    Sabot68

Sabot68 Member

HI looktall,
    Thanks for the suggestions, changed both settings but had no effect.
    Shared folders on the nas are still not visible on the network therefore I can not map them.....

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

When you say they are not visible on the network, what do you mean? That they do not show in Windows explorer, or something else?

EDIT if that's what you mean (that they don't show in windows explorer under "network"), if you put \\YOURSERVERNAME in the address bar it should make the folders appear.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  5. looktall

is your computer on a domain?

have you got a firewall running?

6. OP
    OP
    Sabot68

Sabot68 Member

Yep,
    The nas itself shows up in network places, however if i try and map one of the folders via my computer>map network drive the nas nor any of the shared folders are in the list.

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sorry, I'm not sure we're on the same page. Where is "network places"? Are we talking about the heading "network" in windows explorer? Is the NAS there, but when you click on it, it doesn't open? If you right-click and "expand", what happens?

8. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Might be a simple thing, have you joined the "homegroup" ??

9. looktall

looking over my settings at work again, check this one is set to disabled.
    "Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always)"

10. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

click start and in the search type "credentials" no quotation

there will be policies listed there... delete the network ones relating to your nas

access the nas again - it will ask for username and password and then u should be able to see all the shared folders and map them