Can provider measure max line speeds (FTTN)?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Rod911, May 18, 2018.

1. Rod911

Rod911 Member

Received an email from dodo saying that I'm entitled to a refund as my line cannot get even close to what I have been paying for. My current plan is 25/5 and they are saying that my line can only achieve 18.82/5.73 max, as such, I can either stay where I am at, go with a lower plan or simply change provider. Choosing any of those options also entitles me to a refund.

So, is dodo right and my line can only achieve those speeds? If that is the case, even if I were to change providers, then I won't be able to go faster than what I'm getting now, correct?

2. power

power Member

i could be wrong but i thought it was based on the node - so changing providers does nothing.

3. Sanity_Smith

Sanity_Smith Member

I'd give a call to Aussie Broadband, they may be able to give you a more accurate estimate (at least they were for me, they were almost within 5Mbps correct on their estimate before I signed up)

Plus, you are speaking to a tech person.. in Australia.. so much better :)

A Gringo and firey4059 like this.
  4. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

FTTN has the same hurdle as ADSL/2+. Bad copper or distance from node (including internal wiring) all will determine your max attainable speed - regardless of your provider. Your modem should provide those details which will show how fast your line can go and what you actually have.

edit. Cutting your speed down to a lower tier will not give you a speed boost, it will be the same percentage slower or more especially with less upload speed - that is when your connection really slows down.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

I'm at work at the moment, so I can't get the stats from my modem. I'll see if I can do it tonight.

SLIMaxPower That is why I went with a 25/5 plan. I knew from the onset that I wouldn't get those speeds, so went with a plan that'll get me faster than ADSL. TBH, we're ok with the current speed. I'm more worried about that if I can't get faster than what I can get now.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  6. PULS8R

PULS8R Member

Yes they can, based on modem stats only though. I would plug your address into here - http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/

You might be able to see what other around you are getting and where the pillar and node is. Modem stats would help too. But without knowing exactly where the pillar and node is it's a rough guesstimate since your internal wiring could be cactus.

7. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

8. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

You could complain to your provider and them to escalate NBN for a solution ?
    I have seen my figures live at home and at the node when my ull connection went to FTTN. Tech was really cool and showed me all the info.

9. caspian

caspian Member

his current line rates are well above those considered to be a reportable fault condition. unfortunately there is no basis for an escalation at present.

10. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

I think this is the information:

DSL synchronization status:
    Up
    Connection status:
    Showtime
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
    Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
    Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
    Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
    Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
    Upstream interleave depth:
    Downstream interleave depth:
    Line standard:
    VDSL
    Upstream line attenuation (dB):
    Downstream line attenuation (dB):
    Upstream output power (dBmV):
    Downstream output power (dBmV):
    Downstream interleave depth:
    None
    DSL up time:
    11 days 3 hours 50 minutes 3 seconds

11. PULS8R

PULS8R Member

Holy shit, not on VDSL2... very strange.

Maybe you're on a stability profile? Your SNR is VERY high, should be around 6db... but your ATT is also very high so would indicate bad cabling or very far from node.

12. caspian

caspian Member

I would not pay much attention to the displayed modulation, that's a CPE thing. he is definitely on a stable profile. it's very difficult to use signal (not line, regardless of what the modem says) attenuation to gauge distance with VDSL2 due to the bandplan being quite different. without being able to see the bitload per tone you don't know what frequencies are in use. I don't think his line is terribly long, maybe in the 700-750 range.

13. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

I had some stability issues in the first weeks (here), so they setup my account with a stability profile.
    I have sent a message to Aussie Broadband about doing a line check for me. If we can get higher speeds, I'm looking at moving across to Optus's FTTN service. Wife likes the Fetch TV and there isn't that many providers out there that offers the Mighty box with all the channels and 50Mbps download for less than $100 per month, so, apart from Dodo, Optus is the only option I believe.

14. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

Got a call back from Aussie Broadband. They can only go by data provided by NBN for my address. Looks like 17-38Mbps download. Not too bad. Might still be able to go down that 50Mbps route after all.

15. PULS8R

PULS8R Member

Why is the upstream ATT so high compared to downstream? Shouldn't it be the other way around. I think it's distance from node or bad wiring in the house. How many phone sockets in the house?

16. caspian

caspian Member

VDSL2 does not use the same bandplan as ADSL. the same rules do not apply.

17. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

I think I found my node. It's around a block and a half away. So caspian 's suggestion that it's up to 750m away, sounds spot on.
    I'll speak to Dodo's tech help and see if they can get me off the stability profile.
    As for wiring in the house. It's only 2 years old. There's only 1 phone socket in the house.

18. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

Got a call back from dodo regarding their email. Spoke to dodo's NBN technical department and they said the closest node from where I live was 1.2km in Werribee. Now, I live in Tarneit. Checking the map, the closest Werribee boundary is around 1.5km to 2km away from me. Even though I was able to spot a node (well, I think it was a node), next to a kindergarten that's 450m from my place.

I'm going to go with Optus's NBN50 plan with Fetch TV. Price is comparable to dodo at $94 (with all the channels). Happy to report back if it turns out I can get faster speeds than what I'm on now (18/5).

19. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

...and we're done with this thread. Please keep your personal attacks and off-topic ramblings out of what is generally a constructive forum.

EDIT 21/06/19: Reopened, with an update from Rod911 below.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  20. OP
    OP
    Rod911

Rod911 Member

In my old thread Can provider measure max line speeds (FTTN)?, which was subsequently locked, my contract with Dodo ended this month. Previously it was a 25/5 contract, but I have upgraded it to NBN50. It turns out that, with the new plan, that I can achieve higher speeds than Dodo's assessment back in May 2018 of 18/5. However, it isn't as fast as I'd like it to be.
    Running speedtest.net in different times and days, it looks like I can get max 28/8.5 speeds. This isn't bad, but I was hoping to at least get in the 30's.
    Until a node is built closer to where I live, then I don't think I can get any higher than this on NBN. It's a shame because my 4G speeds are, on average, three times faster than NBN. It's too bad that I only have a 30GB data cap.