1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can PS5 be used as media centre?

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by Rusty X5, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Looking at buying a PS5 in the future. Currently using a PS3 using PS3 Media Server 1.90.1 connected to a PC with ethernet. Everything working fine atm but looking to upgrade as PS3 only supports x264 codec and dont play 4k mkvs

Can the PS5 operate the same way with or without third party software? and does the PS5 support x265 codec? and does it play 4k?

Thanks

2. Trizae

Trizae Member

It supports Plex and the mediaplayer can be connected as a server as well never had any issues with content on ps4 or 5

3. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Thanks, going to try to avoid plex, I tried it once and was garbage to use imo. Hopefully the inhouse media player works fine or there is another alternative.

Trizae likes this.
  4. Trizae

Trizae Member

Ouf just tested the media player app is pretty barebones and dog shit lol if you are not wanting to use plex I’ll research and test mine further for you but I’d hang onto the PS3 or use a ps4 currently as it stands the one in there is basic helluva machine though

5. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I moved away from PS media playback a while ago and bought an Xbox One S for this pure purpose (still have a PS3/4/5). Native Kodi app availability means you can take a factory Xbox, install Kodi from the app store, map a drive and it will devour any media.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    darkmenace, the_fuzz, ndt and 2 others like this.
  6. ndt

ndt Member

Yeah I did this too, the PS4 was pretty terrible to setup from what I remember.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yep... One S/X def better for this, as you say runs Kodi well which is basically XBMC.

JSmith

8. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

There are several drawbacks to using the PS5 as a media center. I tried for about a week before just purchasing a shield pro (which I've been very happy with). I was fairly shocked to find both my 2020 TV and new PS5 both sucked badly at what I thought would be commonly supported media features on modern devices but yeah.

If you're just looking for an average experience you might find it's fine. For example my sister or parents could probably happily use it watching low-average quality content or just netflix and never realise there's an issue. If you care about lossless audio, surround sound (basically any form other than compressed DD 5.1), have a curated collection of BR remux, enjoy HDR etc you will be bitterly disappointed as I was, as most of it simply won't work, or will be getting transcoded/compressed and not output directly.

In particular the plex app on PS5 is severely gimped and there's no kodi option.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  9. Trizae

Trizae Member

as a plex user on ps4pro have plex on my ps5 what were the drawbacks compared to how it was on the ps4pro? and what tv are you running that sucks? I have a CX and it seems excellent hence why i haven't used my ps5 as a media centre as yet

10. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

I have a ps4pro as well and plex appears to be the same on both, I stupidly assumed it would be better on ps5 :/

I'm not sure exactly what formats are not supported or whatever to cause this, but virtually all of my 4k content transcoded and most (if not all) were literally unplayable, and even 1080p was hit and miss. There seems to be a bitrate limit, despite being on gigabit ethernet it transcoded everything to lower bitrate 1080p, forcing it higher caused extreme lag or crashes. It would also sometimes just crash after 5-10min. Lossless audio simply doesn't work, I could only get surround by forcing bitstream which compresses.

I have heard the LG TVs have decent built in apps. I have an 85" Samsung Q80t. Plex is about as trash as the ps5 version, slightly less bad but anything HDR doesn't work, anything particularly high bitrate 4k lags, it doesn't support all lossless surround formats etc. Other apps like youtube and netflix were fine on the TV though.

End of the day I just CBF with all the issues and hassle. Shield just works and direct plays everything, plus allows for proper playback of Atmos/TrueHD/etc and lossless music...and the AI upscaling is significantly better than the TVs built in upscaling.

Trizae likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Was hoping the PS5 would do the job as I would mind having a PS5 for the occasional game or 2 ( i mainly game on PC though), but it doesnt look good going off some of the responses here. New xbox with the kodi app I had no idea about (tbh i dont like xbox though) and even NVidia shield, completely forgot it existed. Would there be much difference between the 2? As long whatever I get can hook up to my network, its can play 4k and x264/x265 files i'll be happy. Looking at in the future when I get a new TV to start d/ling all my content at 4k which will most be x265 codec so whatever device I get, will need to play these files.

12. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I'm using the PS5 for media. I run everything through Plex. I've had no dramas with 4K/HDR rips. Not sure what others are doing that are causing issues? Is it the way your Plex server is set up? I mean, I was able to run 4K/HDR 45GB Godzilla v Kong remotely to my parents place without any lag. When Plex is working, it's the best media centre. It does take tinkering, but I've now got a dedicated Plex server in my house (see sig), connected directly into my router with 1000/50 HFC NBN, with PS5 and everything wired via Cat6, and have no issues what so ever. I even have about 4 mates who remotely access media from it, no issues.

PS5 worked great for me, I was able to easily connect my headset and use that when watching loud films when the wife was reading or little one was asleep. Again - no issues at all, everything ran fine - including 4K and HDR.

Trizae likes this.
  13. miicah

miicah Member

I would take another look at plex. Not sure what your issues were the first time, but I have pretty much zero complaints.

the_antipop likes this.
  14. The Beast

The Beast Member

Plex is great, and like others here I've not had issues with it, but using a PS5 as a client is super overkill. PS5 also can't do Dolby Atmos, so if that matters to you consider other alternatives.

NVidia Shield TV is easily the best client you can attach to your TV.

15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Plex is amazing, what issues you have?

Much better experience with it then XBMC/Kodi, indexes super well and quick.

Run it on my Synology NAS.