Can someone explain this dinosaur conundrum to me

Discussion in 'Science' started by flame, Sep 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. flame

flame Member

Need this explained to me please,

Basically, watched a doco that said a big arsed meteor wiped out all the dinosaurs = extinction.....

Then, I see another doco explaing how some animals evolved from dinosaurs.

So how does an animal evolve from another animal that's supposedly extinct?

2. aero_a

aero_a Member

I dont think it the dinosaurs were killed directly by the meteor.. i think they died out from what the meteor did to the environment/climate..

as the living conditions changed drastically, some species died out, some evolved
    by dinosaurs going extinct, i think they're mostly referring to the big reptiles

that's what i'm guessing anyways

3. RB44

RB44 Member

4. bcann

bcann Member

the meteor immediately killed/wiped out most of the big animals (not just dinosaurs) and those that survived (IE small dinosaurs/reptiles) eventually evolved into what you see rapidly going extinct in todays environment.

5. hlokk

hlokk Member

Animals around today did not descent from the dinosaurs that would have been wiped out in the meteor (well, obviously :p). But the ancestors to those dinosaurs had diverging lineages under them. Some went on to the large dinosaurs, some went on to smaller ones (that would eventually evolve into birds, reptiles or mammals for example).

So think of it like a tree and you chop down the biggest branch, there can still be smaller branches lower down that given the new sunlight could then grow larger. There will be some point at which the branch you chopped down and any other branch intersect. Dinosaurs were the biggest branch of the tree, but other branches still existed (and some of those when they split were still dinosaurs, e.g. the ancestors to birds were dinosaurs)

6. Whisper

Whisper Member

Well you see, when Noah made the ark, all the big dinosaurs couldn't fit in there, so they were left to perish in the flood, and the small ones like Crocodiles & Alligators were saved! ;)

7. led_blind

led_blind Member

Wow, did global warming happen back then too?
    ;)

8. bcann

bcann Member

I've got it :)

Global warming is GODS FAULT ... lets sue him :)

maybe i should stop watching movies :(

9. OP
    OP
    flame

flame Member

Cool, the way the doco's talk, was like everything got scrapped and life started again. then saw once that some birds evolved from dinosaurs, so wondered how it was possible, when all of them suckers supposedly died.

So this noah guy, was he like steve irwin or what?:lol:

10. desertstalker

desertstalker Member

From your own link...

So crocodiles separated from the ancestors of the dinosaurs 200 million years ago, long before the dinosaurs went extinct ~65 million years ago. Crocodiles didn't evolve from dinosaurs but they did share common ancestors.

11. orchidophile

orchidophile Member

Yup, crocs were eating dinos at the time. :p But they are related.

And extinct species can still give rise to subsequent ones. It doesn't necessarily mean that if a species goes extinct that you can have no subsequent evolution from that lineage. It can mean that the species which replaced you was better at the job than the original species, thus pushing it out of the ecological niche and supplanting said species.

The extinction of the dinosaurs (a bit of a misnomer really) wasn't a complete event. They just had to deal with such a rapidly changing environment that it was change or die. Most died. Some changed.

Every now and again, look at a pigeon and think about where it came from....

12. AdzYboy

AdzYboy Member

dino death

Dinos died out due to a multitude of things

and a giant meteor didnt help :)

rise of the mosquito's and blood born diseases

lack of food..

lots of crap..

13. Oosh

Oosh Member

Not everything everywhere dies, the "Great Dying" (or P–Tr Extinction) was twice as bad as the K-T one mentioned in this thread, yet we're still here.

And while these are described as "events", envisaging it happening in a day or two, we're talking geological time scales for a lot of this stuff.
    Plenty of time to trade your scales in for feathers and dodge extinction. ;)

14. Chucky1752

Chucky1752 Member

Don't laugh, one of my friends seriously considers the possibility of this. Two of us with a Bachelor of Theology, one of whom also has a Bachelor of Science with Hons and half a Masters in Sci, and 1 subject and a thesis short of a Masters in Theology, just shook our heads and were disturbed.

We had a similar argument tonight, the two of us with B. Theol's were defending the scientific notion of the age of the earth and the universe against young earth theory and the like. Frustrating as all hell.

Apparently there are layers of dirt on top of other layers and the surface dirt is older than the dirt underneath, I don't know anything about it, but my friend who has the Science degree just got fed up and left, I was just shaking my head and thinking BARKING MAD PEOPEL!@!@!

15. Whisper

Whisper Member

What is the various main stream churches stance on the flood & Noah these days?

Just curious, not meaning to stir up any hornet nests. :)

16. AdzYboy

AdzYboy Member

17. dbens1

dbens1 Member

They probably died from the meteor throwing up huge amounts of land into the atmosphere, blocking out sunlight and cooling off the environment. Big reptiles with cold blood probably froze, little reptiles could probably survive longer and animals with warm blood partied hard

18. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

The Noah type story predates the Bible by thousands of years, going back to ancient Persia or even before, some say about 8000 years ago.

The flood story probably came from people seeing fossil shells, fish and such in rocks and old dry lake beds miles from any water source.

Ergo: fossil shell on top of mountain = the world was flooded. How else would the shell have got up there?

Similar thing to the dragons of China and the Far East.

Some chuch people still believe the world is only about 4500 years old, give or take a thousand years or so. Depends on how bad the person is at doing math. Also depends on if some of the Old Testament bods were actually able to live to a couple of hundred years old as is said in the Bible.

A bit odd really, as it was a church guy that gave us the Leap Year and how to keep the calendar in sync to the real world without to much fudging.

19. Whisper

Whisper Member

The church also gave us the clock as well & the printing press was invented to print more bibles.

Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot.

20. MrSnuffy

MrSnuffy Member

I think this is the key bit that most people fail to grasp.

The immense time scale of it all.

Dinosaurs died out over thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of years... and during this time they were still evolving.

"Plenty of time to trade your scales in for feathers and dodge extinction"

Well put :)