1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone give me a quick rundown of today's laptop specifications?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Villa, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Villa

Villa Member

I haven't been paying much attention to desktop computers since AMD X2 and C2Ds, and was never into laptops. So could someone give me a rundown as to what processers and GPUs are out there in the laptop market?

Generally just want like a newbie guide say:

What are the:
    Low range CPUs
    Mid range CPUs
    High end CPUs

Low range GPUs
    Mid range GPUs
    High end GPUs

Cheers!

2. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

The new high range CPUs will be the Sandy Bridge stuff (give it a month or two before they're out) but currently it's the i7/i5 range. Theres i3 and some powerful C2D/C2Q that are out which I'd call mid range. The netbooks I'd call low range, they are normally single/dual core 1.4GHz with not much use other than internet and mail etc.

GPUs, depends how high you call high. Some have dual-GPUs in them such as Alienware etc, whilst mid range I believe are using 320M GPUs currently. Low range I'd say is on-board or something really basic.

Just check any website and whatever their most expensive is, typically is high range :p

3. OP
    OP
    Villa

Villa Member

Cheers for the help. What I'm looking for are like the numbers/what series the CPUs and GPUs are nowadays! Like back when I left it was the Nvidia 9800GTs down to the 9300s, do they have a similar naming scheme nowadays? And with CPUs, is AMD still good? I don't see them mentioned much.

4. Raykay

Raykay Member

Dont get confused with the current sandy bridge processors, right now the best are really X58 core i7 series.

Video cards from nvidia are a bit mixed up right now.

These are the GTX series, best for gaming. So called Ultimate gaming.

GeForce GTX 580
    GeForce GTX 570
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti (new!)
    GeForce GTX 460

GTS and GT, these are for perhaps light gaming ful hd movies and so on. This is essentially mid and low range.

GeForce GT 440 (new!)
    GeForce GT 430
    GeForce GTS 250
    GeForce GT 240
    GeForce GT 220
    GeForce 9800 GT
    GeForce 9500 GT

With regards to AMD, they are releasing their new Bulldozer CPU's to rival Intels sandy bridge.

The basis of naming hasnt change, the bigger the number the better :)

5. brayway

brayway Member

That's more the desktop range though.

what jgustrove said the GT330s etc are more laptop based :thumbup:

edit some links

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming-laptops/

http://www.intel.com/en_au/consumer....htm?cid=apac:ggl|ci5ltop2_au_laptop|tiFCF4|s

they should give you an idea, the first one is current gaming laptop specs.
    and the second is detailing Intel's 2ND gen sandyBridge laptop series :thumbup:

6. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

In terms of mobile computing the i7 (+extreme) X58s use heck of a lot power to run, whilst the SB stuff isn't as great performing in a mobile basis it does have better power consumption and is more friendly with laptops in how the CPU handles more processes -- or rather, delegates better to its other hardware brother-en.

There are some really serious laptops (normally 17/19") that go run GTS/GTX full cards but they are more around the 6-7k mark and realistically, a PC desktop worth 1/3 that would be as good working whilst you can spend the rest on another average laptop that you remote access into and game on it that way.

Your overview is very precise for full-sized and functioned GPUs. Though your lack of AMD is sad :( As I own a AMD card(s)! lol.

I feel I wasn't specific enough in my original post, but those links do help the OP (I like to think so) but in terms of mobile computing, try to steer clear of AMD.

@Villa
    The Bulldozer (late this year reports say) might be good for mobile computing, but frankly with how the SB architecture is setup, it's going to be still a wiser (?) choice to roll with Intel.

If you really need a laptop now, probably something i3/i5 for low/moderate gaming respectively and a 330M GPU will be enough for most games, just not at the resolution that you could get on a PC Desktop.

7. brayway

brayway Member

Most laptops are currently Intel Core series, not many AMD CPUs there.
    but there are a few AMD GPUs which arn't too bad.
    We own an Inter Core I7 based HP DV6 with an AMD something GPU.
    as jgustrove said, try to go for a lower end one for now. Or at least wait for the Core I series 2 comes out, as our I7 laptop sits at about 100*c on load :Paranoid:

8. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

I can't recall a Phenom II in a laptop. Honestly can't. Opteron's and Athlon64's are about it?

I have a i5 MBP (don't kill me please lol) and in terms of mobile computing the SB will destroy the first gen Core iX. The 980x is still a top-notch CPU but the fact a i7 2600K is 1/5 the price makes it hard having people buying that item.

100*C on load? Talk about insta-destruction of the testes.

9. brayway

brayway Member

Running prime now, so far is 90*c...

10. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

Do *NOT* put that on your lap!

Unless you don't want kids? lol.
    I thought 86*C for LinX over 8 hours was crazy. This is why I use a MBP, it's too pathetic to generate enough heat like that.

11. brayway

brayway Member

93*....
    and it's sitting on top of my empty 800D
    so plenty of ventilation... i dont want to see how hot it would get ON someones lap..... :wired:

12. Archy

Archy New Member

Have you tried remoting in to play games? Remote desktop uses the client GPU and other methods, like VNC are just too slow.

13. brayway

brayway Member

I always get an Open 3D error, or something like that. :(

14. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

800D... you're not using? I'll give you cookies and cream for it? :lol:
    Taking into consideration of human skin, the body anatomically and the local temperature. You'd easily see 70-75*C of that onto your lap.
    That's bad skin damage range, even with wearing pants/jeans.

I think that's what I was trying to explain. Instead of 6k on a super laptop. 3k on a good PC Desktop then 2k on a Laptop to remote access onto and game that way?

That's odd. Doesn't sound like a RAD fault, more a client GPU being too much for a host GPU but that doesn't sound right either.

15. brayway

brayway Member

IT's empty while i wait for new parts :lol:

oh and 94*c now :p

and i doubt that, I was remoting from a PC at work with decent Intel graphics chip, into a PC with 470 SLI....

16. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

Bah, I'll give you my 600T in exchange; it's better! haha.

Doesn't the laptop switch off at 95?

Theres only 2 things I think would happen. Application or RAD Software fault. Maybe remote access desktop can't handle certain things like graphics acceleration but that wouldn't jive with how I use to do that at school and play Quake III during class.

17. brayway

brayway Member

Hmm dunno, could have been lots of things:

• Internet
    • XP > 7
    • Work restrictions (doubt this)

on another note....

stopping it now.

Click to view full size!

18. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

Holy smoke!
    12V on the cable!
    You should charge your battery more often ;)

Stop using avast! :sick: So many viruses when I used that back in the days it came free with Gigabyte mainboards.

19. brayway

brayway Member

haha it is on charge most iof it's life :S
    used it from full to charge last night watching the storm cams, and it lasted 1.5 hrs :(

oh avast is awesome lol, we have the paid version, not one virus with it.
    Though it interferes with the NVIDIA SLI mod :(

Waaaay off topic here....

edit LOL!

the power brick...
    it alone is 47*c...
    output =
    18.2V 6.5A 120W!

20. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

Not as bad as the other thread. Had what, 2 pics in 4 pages? ha.
    That's why I have Sophos Corporate. Bought it when first launched, got lifetime for a decent price.