1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Can stick PCs be run headless and powered over USB?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by benjagan91, Jun 29, 2017.

1. benjagan91

benjagan91 Member

Good Afternoon.

I'm just chasing some information about these 'stick PCs' please. I'm just wondering if any of them can run off a USB port for power and run headless (without being connected to a monitor/TV) for the purpose of a basic file server/web server/terminal server (lol kidding).

Thank You.

2. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

uhhh, all the x86 ones need AC power.

3. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've got an x86 Intel Compute Stick with an Atom Z3735F

It does run headless, but our testing was with it plugged in to a TV, and attempting to be powered from the USB port on the TV.

It's powered from a MicroUSB cable, but I don't think a Standard USB port pushes enough juice to run it reliably... I think it was a 5v 3A DC wallwart style power supply that it came with.

If you don't have anything plugged into it, and aren't using the video, *maybe* you can get away with running it from a USB port.

4. oh_noes

oh_noes Member

Raspberry Pi totally can run like this. In fact, it's designed to run like this.

5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's designed for it, My Pi3B doesn't identify itself when plugged in, so it can only use whatever the base current USB supplies. which is nowhere near the 2.5a of the recommended supply.

6. oh_noes

oh_noes Member

Rpi Zero with 64GB SD will run on a sparrows fart (600ma or so).

7. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I have a gen1 intel stick, it can't run off my Samsung 55" USB port. would be insanely convenient if it would...

needs AC adapter.