Can you Laptop do this?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by WishBone17, Mar 6, 2012.

1. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

2. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

No... but... why does it need to?

I think someone who needs a laptop capable of being run over by a car probably shouldn't be owning a laptop...

3. Mudg3

Mudg3 Member

Imagine the possibilities.

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

drop it however, and it'll probably break from shock damage :p

5. Cask

Cask Member

I agree with this ^^^

If you want an excuse to be not-so-careful with your equipment then perhaps you should re-think your respect to property lol

Maybe if I needed a laptop and I was a tradie or whatever but still

6. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

i know a guy in Ocau who would be a prime candidate to own one of these, he is pretty brutal on his gear :(

anyway, this toughness wouldnt make me want to buy one over some other notebook, there are more important features i look for in a notebook, toughness isnt a priority, but it is nice to know they can build them like that.

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I think you guys are focusing on the wrong thing. They haven't designed a laptop that can be run over by a car, they've designed one that is lighter, thinner and stronger then laptop chassis have been in the past. The fact that it can withstand being run over by a car is just a byproduct.

If they'd made this video saying 'hey look our product can be run over by a car!' then yeah who gives a rats. That's not what they've done though. They've made a video that says, 'hey look, despite being lighter and thinner then what you think could possibly be strong, our product really is! We're so confident in fact we'll run it over with a car to prove it!'.

For that goal, they've done well and I'm impressed.

8. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

i take your point, but to me its the same which ever way you look at it, and maybe thats bad advertising on their part because to us, we saw it as being a video about it being able to be driven over by a car.

anyway, as i mentioned, it being that tough wouldnt make me want to buy it, but i know what your getting at.

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Hmm, I wonder, did you read the little conversation at the start? They pretty much stated their goal was to prove that light and thin can be strong. I mean, the laptop was trashed afterwards, nobody would do that to their laptop on purpose, but it's nice to know the product is strong enough to withstand abuse should it happen.

10. Narcoticx2

Narcoticx2 Member

Nah, thread title asked if my laptop could do that - I answered that.

I agree with your sentiments regarding their achievements in laptop design.

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah fair point. I kinda glossed right over that didn't I.

12. ndt

ndt Member

so it still boots.......:tongue:

but can it still read cd/dvd? will it run for an extended period of time, if the fan, and heat sinks have been crushed......
    Do all the keys still work?

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Pretty much a guaranty that if the LCD is intact the keyboard will be. It was placed on the ground just as you would if you were putting it on a desk, lcd side up.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Personally I think it's pretty impressive. Might save a few lappys that get knocked around for whatever reason.

15. Tinian

Tinian Member

+1

Not an ugly laptop either. Only 2.2 cm (0.87 inches) at its highest point and weighs 1.5 kg; robust for those on the move.

16. Concept CBF

Concept CBF Member

I will keep my macbook air plx. Keep it in a bag anyway dont really give a fuck if it can't stand a large drop or a car running over it

17. Treggs

Treggs Member

Screw whether a car can run over it, finely someone is making a laptop/tablet with a tiny bezel.

Some laptops/tablets that claim to be modern *cough apple ipad/macbook air cough* have huge bezels that could be much smaller. Feels like they are deliberately making them bigger so they can make them smaller later as a sales pitch. Modern panels have tiny edges around them, why make the case bigger.

I had one of my monitors apart last week to replace a dodgy electrolytic and even on my 4 year old screens the bezel could be half the size!

/RANT

18. bennyg

bennyg Member

My old laptop did ... kinda.

Now works as a HTPC, mostly bent back into shape, minus the busted bits... the whole lid (cracked lcd), the bent hdd, and internal DVD drive (mobo connector dislodged).

massively surprised it still worked at all given it was wedged up under the front of the car, diagonally, with the weight of the car going over it... i thought it was a loose bit of concrete... Wonder how those superthin ones would do there... snap.

19. mtma

mtma Member

More pertinent is whether it survives being sat on, though the likely answer is yes, since being run over the car would have put about 30-40PSI (roughly 15kg/square inch) of pressure on it, and at a guess about 200-250kg total in a car like that.

Course your arse might not be as pneumatic and spear on right through it though.

20. deepspring

deepspring Member

I wonder if it can stop a .44 or .357 Magnum.