Can you overclock DDR4 on a laptop?

Discussion in 'Memory' started by Luke212, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

I recently bought an i7-8700 (non-k metabox/clevo) laptop with 1x16gb ddr4 2400.

if i add another 16gb ddr4 2133 CL13 http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX421S13IB_16.pdf, can i overclock it to 2400 to match the other one? since its CL13 i assume its got some headway at slower CLs at 2400 maybe?

are these settings normally enabled in laptop bioses?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

no, the mainboard downgrades it to the slowest speed.

3. dasa2

dasa2 Member

2133c13 could well be faster than the 2400 if its c17
    give it a go and see what happens with xmp
    run aida64 so you know how much difference the settings you change make assuming there is any settings available

4. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

it'll work better with tokenring too

5. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

think outside the (white)box cameltoe

6. dasa2

dasa2 Member

crude and not perfectly accurate but its a good guideline
    [​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    Luke212

Luke212 Member

in the end i have no ddr settings in bios so it just clocks both at CL15 2133

8. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I think most laptop manufacturer's block off CPU and RAM overclocking options as a matter of course because those devices are thermally constrained even running at stock speeds and the last thing they want is people overclocking them and then hassling manufacturer's that "their laptop has a problem", really the only thing you can do is replace the memory for the fastest speed the machine natively supports and then go for tighter timings but the price tends to go through the roof for that just as it does with normal desktop RAM with low timings.

9. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Generally you can't overclock anything on a laptop. And even if you could, you shouldn't. Thermals are designed pretty much to within an inch of their life, if you're at all interested in preserving the longevity of the device to any meaningful degree, the biggest part in doing that is keeping the machine, and its components, as cool as possible.

To answer your question, and correct me if I'm wrong, but no, you can't up one stick of RAM to match the other. The opposite happens, the faster stick runs at the same rate as the slower one. There are also very few workloads I can think of where the actual *speed* of the RAM matters. Games, maybe, but on a laptop, you're just not going to see the difference, for thermal reasons outlined above. Unlike a lot of things in this world, the *quantity* of the RAM is what gives you the biggest gains, not the quality. I will pick more over faster any day of the week.

10. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

also check the rams full speed list

often they have multiple profiles usually faster speeds but higher cas latencies

11. dasa2

dasa2 Member

shame i rather enjoyed tuning the ram up in our intel nuc
    it had a nice array of options for frequency and timings