Cancelling a prior tenants NBN

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by anark1, Aug 14, 2021.

1. anark1

anark1 Member

Ive just bought a house previously rented and the prior tenant has left an NBN service connected to port 1 on the NTD (ftp)

my current provider has programmed port 2 for me, do i have the ability to contact nbn co or whomever to terminate their service?

i assume if i leave it long enough that the service provider will stop the service as its not getting pair for or the tenant will realize and stop it themselves.
    note that i do not have any of the previous tenants details.

2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

You don’t know which isp to contact to get the service disconnected. I would contact the REA and advise them to get in touch with the old tenants

3. Pugs

Pugs Member

Just leave it it will be turned off eventually.. not your problem

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    anark1 and zeggie like this.
  4. caspian

caspian Member

^^ exactly. or the other option is to just ask your chosen ISP to churn the existing service, and you becomes the lessee. the previous tenant can sort it out with their ISP.

5. kenny34

kenny34 Member

Would there have been any problem just using the old tenants service? Other than morally.

6. Pugs

Pugs Member

Yes Morally and when it suddenly gets turned off tou you then need to order a service anyways

7. ecroF

ecroF Member

When I worked for foxtel we would just ask for a "proof of occupancy" from you and then our techs could pull the pin on the connected service and connect yours.

8. caspian

caspian Member

the problem with that is identifying the RSP, as supasaiyan pointed out. plus the new tenant would want to continue using the same ISP as the old tenant.

for technologies where only one service is possible (e.g. FTTB or FTTN, HFC) then there's a process for the new prospective ISP to provide proof of occupancy to NBN and the previous service will be terminated, but for FTTP, they just set the new service up on one of the three remaining UNI ports and who cares.

9. Primüs

Primüs Member

I have single tenant residences with services on UNI-D4 because first 3 were occupied by assumingly old tenants old services!

It's ultimately a matter of not your problem, no need to really worry. Won't affect you. Some places also just have slow processing of order actions (internally, not NBN) so while the tenant may have organised the move with their ISP it may be that the priority was set to have it enabled at the new premises to continue service while they haven't quite submitted the cancellation on the old premises yet, so for the mean time the port is still active.

10. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

You can probably find out who the old isp is by connecting a spare router to the #1 port, logging into its admin page and googling the gateway ip using your own connection. This way you haven't actually "used" the previous tenants connection.

I just googled mine and it said I'm with Aussie Broadband which is true.

11. caspian

caspian Member

now do it with a reseller ISP that doesn't actually own their own IP range.