Cannot Install ESXi Hypervisor 6.5 on RAID 1 HP MicroServer Gen 8

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by NinjaPirate, May 29, 2019.

1. NinjaPirate

NinjaPirate Member

Hi all,

I need some assistance to install ESXi onto a RAID 1 array using HP MicroServer Gen 8 B120i raid controller.
    The issue I experience is when booting the ISO to intall ESXi I cannot see the RADI 1 logical array I have created, only the 2 x 2TB disks that are installed. It doesn't see the logical array, only the physicals disks.
    I've created the logical array with the Smart Manager fine and used to have HyperV using this this array. I've tried deleting and recreating array with out any luck. The only way I can get ESXi to install is with no array and directly onto one hard disk which has no redundancy.

Does anyone know how I can install ESXi 6.5 hyervisor onto a RAID1 array using HP MicroServer Gen 8

Thanks,

2. wasas

wasas Member

There is a specific HP ms8 VMware image, have you tried that?

Weird that it sees the individual drives, normally after a raid array is created it will either see the array or nothing as the drives should now be hidden.

Thought about running the esxi off the sd slot and then splitting the storage into images and disk?

3. KDog

KDog Member

You should be installing ESXi onto an internal USB, it doesn't require or need to be on a RAID array as it runs in memory once loaded (hence why you can run it from a USB). Putting it on a RAID array (or any HDD) is waste of disk. Also use the HP ESXi image.

samus likes this.
  4. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

5. bcann

bcann Member

this is what drives me nuts about HP...

mooboyj likes this.
  6. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

What about them...?

7. Primüs

Primüs Member

Switch to oVirt :p

8. OP
    OP
    NinjaPirate

NinjaPirate Member

Thanks for the advice all. The HP Custom image worked a charm. I could see the logical array too once using the image. Many thanks