1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon 10D lens's

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by GOZMAN, Nov 4, 2003.

1. GOZMAN

GOZMAN Member

Hi everyone,

I hopefully soon will have in my possession a new Canon 10D. Ive been stuffing around with digitals for a while (A30 and Fuji S602 both stolen! grr) and have decided its time for me to get serious.

Now im a n00b when it comes to SLR's and was wondering what lens's would be good to get? I enjoy macro photography especially but also would love to do some wildlife stuff so i need a bit of range. Im probably only going to have about $600 to spend on a lens(s) till after christmas. Is there anything decent in this price range? say around 28-135mm?

Also any recommendations specifically for macro, portrait and wildlife shooting?

2. Elysium

Elysium Member

I'd say save till u can afford the 900ish(?) for a 28-135 IS USM lens, people have said its an excellent walk around lens.

3. ezy

ezy Member

id have to agree, wait untill you have a bit more money to spend on a lense. $600 just doesnt cut it these days, especially with the 10d being a bit on the soft side.

4. OP
    OP
    GOZMAN

GOZMAN Member

Cheers for the replies. Yeah i just read about the 28-135 IS USM. It sounds good. Does any one have any sites that review lens's etc so i can read about this one? I may have to stretch the budget a little.

5. ezy

ezy Member

6. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Do you really need the features of the 10D that the 300D doesn't have?

The reason I ask is that the 300D is $1750 from dirtcheapcameras.com and comes with the 18-55mm lens which is a good general purpose lens with great closeup capability. It's the same CCD etc. Just a few controls dissabled/removed to fit the lower price range.

The problem if you only have the 28-135 with the 10D is the 1.6 crop factor. It will have an effective range of 45-216 making it useless for indoor photos and the 17-40mm lens that will give you standard 35mm angle capability that your used to is well out of your budget.

My recommendation for the SLR noob (and probably the best value for $ dslr solution atm) would be a 300D with the kit lens and a 75-300mm for that wildlife stuff. You can buy all that plus the bag, tripod, remote switch, CF card + reader etc that you will need and still have plenty of change left over from what you would spend on just the 10D body.

Put the money into the lenses if you can because that's where the long term value is with an slr IMO.

7. OP
    OP
    GOZMAN

GOZMAN Member

Hmm your probably right about the 300D. Reason im looking at the 10D is i was recently robbed of alot my stuff (including expensive stuff i dont really use any more) so the cost to replace the stuff i actually use is going to leave me with alot of cash to spend on cameras. I already had a S602 which was pretty good feature wise so i want something which will be a big jump from that. Im really keen on getting a cam which will allow me to do everything so all i have to do is change lenses.

I dont need a lens for indoors type stuff as my sister is getting an A80 to replace her cam (which technically was still mine :)) so i can use that whenever. Also for the type of indoor shooting i would do there is no way i would use the 10D (parties etc).

However more money to spend on lenses would be good for those 'wildlife' shots (can anyone say the beach? :p).

How about we keep this discussion off 10D vs 300D as thats been done. If people could give me their recomendations for a canon mount macro, general use outdoor and zoom lens id be much appreciative. :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  8. OP
    OP
    GOZMAN

GOZMAN Member

9. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Indeed that is a nice picture. Obviously shot under Tungsten light and somebody forgot to adjust the white balance on the camera ;)

I have the same lens that you are talking of. It performs surprisingly well under low-light conditions. Here is a picture of a Chinese gymnast taken at full zoom (135mm), F/5.6, ISO800. I was sitting about 25m away from the stage when I took that shot. No flash, and handheld. It has turned out a little grainy but I am happy with the shot.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!

Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Complaints? So far none. It is an excellent starter lens for the 10D. If you go to the dpreview forums you will see most people recommend this lens to beginner 10D users.

My only wish is for a little more wide angle. It would be nice if Canon made a 10-20mm zoom lens for the 10D. Or even a 10mm prime.

10. jcorney

jcorney Member

11. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

The Sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II (~$500) seems to be getting positive feedback on dpreview though it sounds a bit iffy in the focusng department and there is no guarantee that it'll work with future bodies.

It does macro from 200-300mm. No IS though. :)

Look on canon.com.au or dirtcheapcameras.com in the lens section for the available lenses + prices etc.

I'd still have to say that IMO the 10D is overpriced now that the 300D is out but I guess the 300D doesn't have the wank/brag factor of the 10D :p

12. tuppaware

tuppaware Member

Don't forget the good old 50mm 1.8F .. It's cheap, but fast and light .

I still only have that and a 28-80mm non-usm (Yeah I' broke at the moment... and I sold my 70-200 usm to paid for my Lighting setup) ..

You could always find 28-80 Usm second hand at a decent price too... normaly on ebay or something