1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon 1100d

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by orrzee, Oct 13, 2013.

1. orrzee

orrzee Member

So I have wanted to get an entry level DSLR for a while now
    and See (in bricks and mortar store Canon 1100d with 18-55 lens for $398)
    What are your opinions (remember newbie too Photography here)

2. Unframed

Unframed Member

Nothing wrong with an 1100D, some may find a better deal on another camera but for that price the camera is good.

3. mcrow5

mcrow5 Member

I got my dad one for christmas last year, and for a beginner its awesome. using it can teach you about settings (shutter speed, aperture and iso) without having all the added features of higher end cameras. its a great place to start and can still produce great images

4. WoobiE

WoobiE Member

A lot of people bag them out, but I only just upgraded from mine (Been using it to learn for about a year now), and it was an excellent learning camera imo. I didn't come across any tutorials or anything where I thought "Hrm, if I had a better camera I could do that", so I was happy with everything it offered me.

And I have some pretty awesome shots from it :)

5. Pixley

Pixley Member

I am not bagging the 1100D as I have never used one and it is hard not to say that for a little bit more you could get.......

So hard in fact that I will say that for a little bit more you could get a Pentax K-30 and kit lens for a bit over $500. Far superior camera in all respects. But if the budget doesnt stretch that little bit further or your friends have awesome Canon lenses to lend you then go for it.

6. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Frankly you'd be better off spending a bit more money and getting something newer and better. The 1100D has been ~$350-400 for like 3 years now.

Sure there is nothing wrong with the 1100D, it's a DSLR and it takes photos, but it's old, it's slow, it's very plasticy and there are better alternatives.

You can get an entry level Nikon (D3100/3200)/Canon(600D/650D/700D)/Pentax(K30 et al) for ~$500-600, all of which are better deals than the 1100D.

7. ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

As the saying goes, though, you collect lenses, not cameras.

When I was looking to start out, people told me the opposite as I had pretty much settled on getting a 600D and everyone said I should just get a cheaper camera and focus on getting lenses.

Then again, I'm biased. I'm going to be putting my 1100D up for sale here tomorrow so that I can afford a 600D :D

8. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

True, glass is a better investment, but you should still start with a good basis. I don't think the 1100D is a good basis. These days it's very old, has an old (and noisy) sensor, is very plasticky and missing a lot of features other consumer cameras have.

The thing that would get me is the old sensor. Modern cameras these days have significantly better sensors, handle noise and dynamic range much better.

It's all well and good to have good glass, but if you can't shoot beyond ISO800 without getting noisy mess, doesn't matter how sharp your lenses are, what's the point :p

9. Audionut

Audionut Member

Exactly. Spend a few extra $ and get something that is going to be much better overall, including when you get new glass.

10. Unframed

Unframed Member

I don't think a beginner is too concerned with DR and the other finer points of a sensor. I am pretty sure it's to adapt to the style of camera and make use of the new controls.

My first DSLR was a 350D, I used it up until June this year. I didn't upgrade for DR, newer sensor or anything either. It's a tool to learn. A body is an easy upgrade once you've found the mount you want to use.

11. OP
    OP
    orrzee

orrzee Member

Thanks for the replies guys
    good, different points of view is why I posted the question

12. Fishface

Fishface Member

I'd suggest a second hand 50D which with a lens could be had for similar money as the 1100D.

With its all metal body, 15 MP sensor etc, it will perform a lot better than the 1100D.