1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon 24-70 RF Play in zoom ring?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by UnexpectedError, Apr 6, 2022.

1. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Just took delivery of a canon 24-70 RF f2.8, brand new in box. The box was not sealed, that is it could be opened but I think all lenses come this way from Canon.

I've noticed a tiny bit of play in the zoom ring when rotating from one direction to another (i.e. zooming in and out). My 24-105 does not have any play and generally, online reviews comment on how solid the build quality is on RF glass.

It's not that it feels loose, or is bad, but I guess I wasn't expecting any play at all. It will make a small soft initial clicking noise if I go back and forth.

If the lens was cheaper I'd ignore this, but...yeah the prices on these things just make you second guess everything.

2. OP
    OP
    UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Well I did a bit of research and it looks like this is a thing with this lens. Youtube and DPreview forum comments seem to indicate it does have a tiny bit of play when zooming back and forth and that this can be audible in video. So...the more you know.

Also, I'll emphasise tiny - it really isn't much at all, shouldn't scare you off a purchase imo.

Deftone2k likes this.
  3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Thanks for updating the note, hopefully helps someone else who discovers this after buying.

Had similar quirks to different lenses over time.. especially some where I forked out big $$... pretty annoying haha but as long as they work then no problems I guess.