1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon 50mm

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by land_down_under, Oct 23, 2019.

1. land_down_under

land_down_under Member

I am reigniting my interest in photography so dusting off the old 20D camera body.

With minimal $$ is the 50mm prime still the best bang for buck? Where do I find one?

Cheers

2. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

To be honest, both the standard 1.8 and 1.4 are OK, but there are few options between them and the Sigma ART and Canon f/1.2

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  3. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Canon 50mm f1.8 is probably the best bang for buck, but you might find a step up to the 50mm USM f1.4 worthwhile if focusing moving subjects.
    The 1.8 generally pretty damn sharp from 2-2.2 onwards, but it does hunt for focus a little, especially in lower light conditions.

The 1.2's are amazing, but probably a little overkill on the 20D unless you are planning on upgrading body too?

4. OP
    OP
    land_down_under

land_down_under Member

Thank For the feedback. I'm about to pickup a 50mm 1.4 for $170. No plans on upgrading the body at this stage however if the bug bites......

5. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Solid plan :)

6. nidz

nidz Member

I did some "model" photos lately with the 1.8 and the bokeh and sharpness was awesome. Even got it printed up as a canvas and came out great. For a non-L lens, you can't go wrong.

7. jpw007

jpw007 Member

How'd you go OP?

I'm getting back into it too. Already have the 1.8 50mm and have jut realised the focus is too soft at 1.8...Just wondering what you or the others have found the sweet spot to be? Love the colours especially you can get with this little lens when you compare it to the kit ones. It's just so vibrant, but i personally need to play around more. Maybe i'll try 2.8 and see but i'm rusty again with my settings...usually shoot in aperature priority so that at least makes it easy to stop it going <2.8

8. alexc

alexc Member

The new Canon 50mm 1.8 STM is a better lens than the old 1.8.

I use it on my 5D Mkii. Works great.

I did have the 50 1.4. Which is a better lens again, for my money. But it has a thing where it's fragile if you whack the front of it and it will stop focusing properly!

But the 1.4 is arguably better, and importantly for me lets just a little but more light in :)

If it's for a 20D, consider getting the 40mm STM.

9. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

If you're stuck with just one lens for minimum $$$ then yeah probably the 50mm, although some would choose something wider and others longer. i.e. Sigma 30mm F/1.4 2nd hand could be had very cheap, as could a Canon 85mm F/1.8.

10. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

There is a reason that 50mm are popular in portraits - on a full frame sensor, they are long enough to be able to minimise parallax distortion if required, but short enough to be able to use it creatively.

11. salmon

salmon Member

Ive got a huge array of lenses now but i find myself leaving the house every time with my 50mm 1.4 and my 16-35mm 4.0 great for walking streets both pretty sharp