Canon 50mm

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by land_down_under, Oct 23, 2019.

1. land_down_under

land_down_under Member

I am reigniting my interest in photography so dusting off the old 20D camera body.

With minimal $$ is the 50mm prime still the best bang for buck? Where do I find one?

Cheers

2. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

To be honest, both the standard 1.8 and 1.4 are OK, but there are few options between them and the Sigma ART and Canon f/1.2

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  3. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Canon 50mm f1.8 is probably the best bang for buck, but you might find a step up to the 50mm USM f1.4 worthwhile if focusing moving subjects.
    The 1.8 generally pretty damn sharp from 2-2.2 onwards, but it does hunt for focus a little, especially in lower light conditions.

The 1.2's are amazing, but probably a little overkill on the 20D unless you are planning on upgrading body too?

4. OP
    OP
    land_down_under

land_down_under Member

Thank For the feedback. I'm about to pickup a 50mm 1.4 for $170. No plans on upgrading the body at this stage however if the bug bites......

5. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Solid plan :)

6. nidz

nidz Member

I did some "model" photos lately with the 1.8 and the bokeh and sharpness was awesome. Even got it printed up as a canvas and came out great. For a non-L lens, you can't go wrong.