Canon 5D Mk III - Quick review

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by simplelogik, Mar 22, 2012.

1. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Got a called from my girlfriend yesterday letting me know that the 5D mk III had arrived. So after work I took it for a quick test run. First thing I wanted to see was the ISO performance that everyone was talking about and sure enough it was pretty good, it’s roughly two stops better than the Mk II, ISO 12800 was very usable and 25600 if you’re desperate, I didn’t bother with the H1 and H2 mode.

But to be honest I never had ISO issue with the Mk II or even Mk I which I still use at weddings, I rarely shoot above ISO1600 so in a sense it doesn’t matter. What’s impressive was the new AF engine and silent mode, I can now track a person walking towards me using the AF cluster closer to the edge of the frame using the with the 85mm F1.4, I was getting about 80% success rate. In the past that was impossible using the 5D Mk II.

Ironically, with all the excitement of having a new toy I stayed up till 3:30 am trying to figure out where all the functions are because Canon had moved them and it’s no longer intuitive. It then dawned on me that I’m getting excited on something that doesn’t really help my business, what I should really be doing is finding ways of providing better service and forming meaningful relationship with my clients because at the end of the day, a bride doesn’t really care which camera you use or what ISO setting you’ve shooting at. All she cares about is the quality of your work and how treat her before, during and after the wedding day.

Anyway, here is a quick review that Jen wrote last night from our first impression .. and some hires at ISO 12800.

http://www.albedophotography.com.au/canon-5d-markiii-vs-5d-markii-7d-review

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. MickybD

MickybD Member

Nice little write up. Thanks!

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

What sigma lens are you using on you 5d3?

Good shots btw.

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I'd imagine an 85/1.4 as Canon only do a 1.8 and 1.2.

5. OP
    OP
    simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Yep, it's the Sigma 85 f1.4.

6. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

You have reached the first step. Acknowledgment.

We all like our new toys though and I'd love to have a Mk3 but I'm happy with the Mk2 for the time being. Thanks for posting up some ISO 12800 pics. It looks pretty good as higher ISOs.

Now just to wait for the price to drop to a level I can justify it to myself :p

7. michaeliam

michaeliam Member

I agree with what you have said about it not booking you more weddings.On the other hand, however, you are making your own work/life easier as a business person in the photography industry.

Better AF would ensure that you nail focus more constantly and hence reduce the amount of images you have to cull through. Also ensure you wont miss that cruicial shot (although, as a professinal this may not happen very often anyways).

Improves ISO ensures that you get cleaner images when necessary. Low light situations are easier to handle. In some (rare) situations you can go without flash having the knowledge and peace of mind that you can bump the higher ISO and have a clean image. You also don't have to risk slowing your shutterspeed and then a chance of not having that crisper, sharper image.

CF and SD cards - it's not a necessity, but it's nice to know you have that backup on the SD should (heaven forbid) your CF fail on you. Again not a necessity but for peace of mind, it's nice.

My point is that having a MKIII will free up some post production time and hence allowing me to focus my time on other aspects of the business or just free up my time in general.

For the most part I do actually agree with you. This wont book me more weddings, brides wont book me because I have a MKII and not a MKIII but if an upgrade is going to make my life in this business easier for a reasonable (subjective) cost, then i'm going to pay it.

I really like that you're not ooh-ing and ahh-ing over it and actually being sensible about the usability of the camera in your line of work.

Good writeup.

8. a1ring23

a1ring23 Member

Good writeup. Will pick one up once the price drops a bit (hopefully)!

9. undef

undef Member

How does it perform in dull/murky/wishy-washy light? In regards to accurately auto focusing?

10. CD

CD Member

ISO performance looks good :)

Where did you buy yours?

11. OP
    OP
    simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Yah, Jerry Ghionis recently won an award where the wedding album had 20-30% of the shots were from the iPhone included and the WPPI judges couldn't tell if they were shot entirely with the D3S.

The reality is that the 5Dmk I is fine and I still use it for 1/2 of my wedding shots. It's a new toy so it's exciting but I'm sure it'll be another camera in a couple of weeks time :)

The weird thing is that I never had problem with AF with the original 5D, in a sense because I know of its limitation and worked around it. I use infrared AF to assist if I'm desperate in low light. The AF on the mk III will makes life slightly easier but it won't improve composition or quality of photos.

The extra SD slot gives me an idea of a cheap wireless real-time presentation in the future. Might get an eye-fi card and shoot at the reception and display within almost realtime.

Yah, the things that make me book more wedding is my work, marketing and my SEO. That's the only reason why I even wrote the review last night to draw traffic :)

It's techinally is the cheapest of all 5Ds :)

At ISO25600, F2.8 1/50 I could hardly see so it was having problem focusing but that was pretty dark !!

Pre-order with Camera House Leederville. I shot the salesman's pre wedding so that might have helped :) ..

12. smorter

smorter Member

I'm upgrading to the 5D3, but I don't know whether to ditch my 5D or 5D2. The 5D just has a beautiful vignette/pop to it that I can't seem to replicate on the very clinical 5D2.

5D2 is much better for the outdoor colourful shots especially the greens, but the 5D just has a special elegance to it for the more subdued, classical looking shots (the browns and blacks and greys etc.)