Canon 600D Good For Beginner

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by jamesski, Jun 17, 2012.

1. jamesski

jamesski Member

I am wanting to get into some beginner photography taking picture of cars at car meets, memories/adventures with the Partner and random stuff and the occasional video.

My dad is a Canon man and had a few excess/kit lenses he doesn't use which i can have. 18mm-55mm f3.5-5.6 II and a 75mm-300mm f4-5.6 III

I understand these are basic lenses and will most likely buy a 50mm lenses.

A few friends have Nikons and recommend get a D5100 but this will be alot more expensive due to buying body and a lenses.

Was reading thru http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Nikon-D5100 seem pretty similar only real difference is the larger Sensor

Been doing some research, would a Canon 600D be a good choice?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Was gonna reply on WP but will do it here.

Yes. Either are fine. Doesn't matter, both will be excellent cameras. Go and play with both in store and get the one you like the look/feel of and the one that works the best for you.

Technically the nikon has a better sensor, which means that lowlight performance will be slightly better, but whether that is actually user perceivable is up for argument.

Those canon lenses are (very) basic, but it does mean you can save a bit and just get the body only. The IS version the 18-55mm is way better tho.

On the other hand, getting a nikon will help if you have friends that have nikons meaning you can share lenses/accessories etc.

If you go the nikon route, have a look at the 35 1.8G, it's a great lens for beginners (in addition to the 50mm - 50mm on crop is pretty tight).... canon doesn't really have an alternative, the closest is the 35mm f2, but the Sigma 30mm f1.4 is a better choice.

3. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

4. OP
    OP
    jamesski

jamesski Member

Thanks for your input.

Going to JB tomorrow to have a look and feel for the cameras.

what do you mean the "IS Version"?

With getting better lenses, so for eg with the 18-55 lens, you can get ones with lower Aperture which makes it a better lens correct?

I defiantly want a lens with some zooming capabilities but still decent.

5. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Don't have time to give you an indepth answer.

But basically, the 18-55mm has come in a number of different versions, the IS versions are much better (in terms of focus, sharpness and colour) than the non-IS versions... and they have IS :p

Yes and no and yes and no, just because a lens has a lower max aperture doesn't neccessarily make it better, but generally yea.

Look for the 17-50mm/17-55mm style lens that's a constant f2.8 (tamron, sigma, canon), they're much better than the 18-55mm.... or experiment with primes like the canon 50mm 1.8 or sigma 30mm 1.4. If you don't want to spend that much money on a lens than the 18-55mm will be fine. Getting one with a kit (so it will be the newer IS version), they aren't that expensive - same goes for nikon, the kit lenses are cheap throwaways. Nothing wrong with them tho, for beginners.

6. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Its a great starter, beware, your looking at another 2k to get glass, it may not cost you straight away (and I suggest you dont) but there will be a point in the next 18 months, when you will buy glass.

I went from a $900 kit, to over $6k in 18 months. :Paranoid:

7. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

get what your friends or your dad uses. Having the same mount (brand) lets you try other people's stuff and helps you decide how you might want to upgrade in the future

for me i share gear with my brother and it works out really well even though we see each other every 6-12 months

8. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

This. This. This. Times a hundred million and 4.

Same, I went from a $700 kit to, well, I don't even want to try and estimate (~$7k?) in 18 months.

:o

9. okooko

okooko Member

1000x yes. Bought a 5D2 kit 2 weeks ago, now sunk 1k+ into accessories now chasing a 70-200 2.8 II...

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Both kits are fine, just go in store and play with it in your hand.

The real question is whether you want to carry your kit around with you and learn from it. It's not the gear, its the story you want to tell with the camera.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  11. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

12. Bigtosser

Bigtosser Member

I bought a 600D two months ago, with a twin lens kit,off ebay featured deal, paid $695 with twin lens kit.
    I just got back from a 2 week trip to Thailand, my 3rd trip there in 6 Mths.
    I love it, I am a beginner and it is very forgiving.
    But yes I am eyeing off more and better glass.
    Just need some funds and I will, but yes more and better.
    great kit for the value, I think.

13. Dexash

Dexash Member

I'm probably going to get the new 40mm pancake as my first prime lens. I took a few photos leaving my 18 - 55 kit lens set at 40mm and the crop wasn't too bad. It's low profile and quite light, hopefully will be a good walk-around lens. RRP is $199 apparently, don't know what that will be here.

14. Natious86

Natious86 Member

or spend half that for a 50 1.8, which will blow that 40 away.

15. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

The 40mm f/2.8 is cool, but you also have the option of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    and canon 28mm f/1.8

The nifty fifty will be too long for your indoor shots. It's not reliable for parties because you wont have room to step back in a lot of situations i.e. at the dinner table; notwithstanding the low light indoors.

I've done away with the kit lens and the sigma 30mm sits on my 500d all the time. my only desire for the crop kit is maybe the cheap tamron 17-50 f2.8 to replace the kit lens.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  16. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Get camera, take pictures, if you don't like them take more, if you know why they aren't good then buy more gear.

17. OP
    OP
    jamesski

jamesski Member

Been doing a some research about the 650D and found it has auto video focus.

Will the following lenses i currently have work with the auto focus or do i need a STM lense?

18mm-55mm f3.5-5.6 II and a 75mm-300mm f4-5.6 III is what i have

Thanks

18. spectre257

spectre257 Member

It will but it's craptastic. Autofocus on DSLRs for video work is mediocre at best even with the STM lenses.

Edit: The main reason I would buy the 650D is for improved autofocus, higher fps and better low light performance.

19. OP
    OP
    jamesski

jamesski Member

So in your opinion the extra $200 for the 650D over the 600D would be better spent on a lens like the 17-50 f/2.8

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  20. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

Lenses are more important than the camera.
    That said, a good camera with good glass is the best combo.

recently upgraded to Sonys flagship APS-C camera, and there is a noticable difference in autofocus compared to my old camera.
    Now some macro shots even work with auto-focus enabled.. thought if zoomed in alot then manual focus is still the only good option.

Some things is almost impossible without an ultrawide lens (in cases where stepping back is impossible).
    Macro is best done with a macro lens.
    Birding needs a tele lens etc.

Good quality glass (not kit lenses) you probably won't upgrade and will be with you for years and years. And they keep a good resell value.

Also a real flash is sometimes very useful, thats the thing I wish I would have bought earlier.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012