1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon 6D thoughts

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by wahoo84, Oct 19, 2012.

1. wahoo84

wahoo84 Member

http://m.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d
    http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/9/17/3346366/canon-6d-video-pictures-preview
    http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews...ital-slrs-hybrids/canon-eos-6d-1098126/review
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/6d.htm

You all know the specs and the potential market audience, but who's actually really contemplating getting one of these when they finally get released??

I am really considering it pending some indepth reviews. Then based on that may consider whether it's worth the extra $$$ for the 5DMk3...

2. hlokk

hlokk Member

The size is interesting. It's close to a 60d.

However the real kicker for me is how the wifi will work. Will I be able to remote shoot with a phone or iPad? This would be absolutely awesome functionality! Especially so if you can use the phone as an intervalometer.

3. linkdup

linkdup Member

To me the focus system is really important. It will be interesting to see how the 6D goes in the in-depth reviews. If it is better than the 5D mark ii, I think this camera will sell well. I was not able to wait until DEC, so I just bought the 5D mark iii, instead.... Very happy so far :p

4. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

Using the 51 AF point system is a huge plus...

The 6D is moreso targeted at the enthusiast who wants a cheaper full frame camera of this generation, but doesn't need the extra fancy bits. That and videographers who rarely use auto focus

5. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

the geotagging/wifi should be interesting for the street / event photographer or someone on the move.

I only use one AF point but shoot lots of low light and wide open at f1.4-f2.8

i guess i'm hoping for decent ISO noise even at 800ISO or above :p

6. OP
    OP
    wahoo84

wahoo84 Member

I'm just thinking, how many people really need >10 AF points?

Does having so many necessarily mean that you get a better focus?

Or does it just give people potentially a higher chance of capturing a better/keepable shot since they aren't relying on a limited (or just 1) AF point?

7. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

I really want one - but $2k for the body is not just $2k because the only full frame lens I have is the 70-200/2.8L USM - 17-50/2.8, 30/1.4 and 10-22 are all crop.

Will probably need to wait for the 7D2...

8. The Moose

The Moose Member

It's not so much the amount as it is the strength. I can choose any point on my 1D and it's basically as strong as the centre point.

In a way, you're right. If I've got more points I'm more likely to choose a specific one so I don't have to focus and recompose, but I would only do so if I know they'll get me the shot. Which the 5D3 would definitely do better than the 5D2 and the 6D, which is hopefully slightly better than the 5D2.

9. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

Was going to buy a 5dm2 but will get the 6d instead, interchangeable focusing screens are nice to have with manual focus lenses. The screens in the 7d and 5dm3 are crap to focus with when using wide MF lenses. I do like the wifi, don't know if I will use the gps.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  10. a777

a777 Member

Not sure I can take this thread seriously with a kenrockwell link in it. :p

You can probably sell them on the forums and buy the FF equivalent for not too much difference in price.

17-50/2.8 = 24(28)-75/2.8
    30/1.4 = 50/1.4
    10-22 = 17-40/4

11. spectre257

spectre257 Member

Played with a pre-production 6D super impressed by it. Autofocus is responsive, image quality is also pretty boss and the camera feels like Canon took a 60D (clicky rear wheel) and crammed in a full frame sensor.

Edit: Also the shutter is crazy quite.

12. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

True. But I just shouldn't - it's only a hobby.

13. smorter

smorter Member

At least 1 here!

The irony is the 5D Mark I/II has more AF points than the 6D

14. Twizzly

Twizzly Member

depends on your style of working?

sometimes I compose around using centre point AF because it works the best in less than ideal situations, that is to say I compose to a centre point AF.

sometimes I use the d-pad to select an ideal AF point, which is much easier the more points I have to play with, otherwise I am stuck focussing then recomposing if I haven't got a point to play with in that area.

15. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

I'm accustomed to focus > recompose (currently using a 60D) and the GPS is a killer feature for me, not to mention I really like the size of the 60D, so if this is the sameish it will be awesome. It's on my to-buy list.

16. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

i played with the 5dmk3 and it felt too heavy. small camera is important for me.

I wonder how much battery the wifi/gps will use? or maybe you can turn features off like a smart phone?

17. a777

a777 Member

6D is 180g lighter (770g vs 950g)

You can turn them on or off in the menu. The GPS can also be set to do tracking and store into a standard log file at set intervals even if you aren't taking photos. So, you could see the whole path that you walked to get somewhere even if you only took a few photos at the destination.

18. Dexash

Dexash Member

It seems you can! :)

Hoping I can move into full frame this year, was saving for a 5D3 but I think the 6D will do everything I need.

Any solid info on the street price here?

19. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

That's pretty awesome.

20. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Yeah, looking to move from the 550D to a 6D here. The little extras like GPS, WiFi and bigger camera ergonomics plus having full frame are my justifications.

Being able to use the nice L lenses and not have their zoom ranges be magnified by cropping is also a really attractive reason as to why.

I suspect the 24-70mm f4/L that is rumoured will end up being a kit lens mated to the 6D. Add the 70-200mm f4/L and you've got a fantastic combination of lenses for a very good zoom range.