canon 70-200 F4 or F4IS

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Shortass_Jr, Feb 22, 2011.

1. C.Michael

C.Michael Iron Photographer

Very true - Horses for courses.

2. OP
    OP
    Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

cant wait to try it at winton on the weekend :) heading down with HSV will be great!!!! will tell everyone how she goes very clean lens :)

3. Merudo

Merudo Member

You won't be disappointed!

4. bowds1122

bowds1122 Member

Can you pan without IS or just more difficult?

5. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

You can pan with IS. Thats why theres 2 modes on IS on some of the lenses. One for both horizontal and vertical stabilisation and the other mode for a single axis only

6. Zee

Zee Member

Up until the 70-200 F2.8L IS II - the 70-200F4L IS was THE sharpest of Canon's 70-200L lens line up.

At the moment, the current IS models ARE sharper than their non IS counterparts.

If I didn't want an underwater housing for the 50D as badly as I do, I would have bought it. I thought it was awesome when I tried it out...

Z...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  7. Nafe

Nafe Member

The F4L is nicely weighted, and only 700grams or so, easy to handhold and pan all day long.
    You can pan with or without IS no problems.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  8. Vrm

Vrm Member

Ive had both and u wont be disappointed with either, both are sharp and render lovely bokeh.
    IS wont matter for sports much so u saved urself a few bucks :D

the 2.8 versions will help in low light sports to obtain a faster shutter.

9. unners

unners Member

Having used all of them, in my experience f4L < f4L IS < f2.8 L IS II as far as sharpness goes.

Not that there's anything wrong with the non is f4 version to begin with but the new IS versions are fantastic. It comes down to cost and weight really.

10. Vrm

Vrm Member

Agree. The 2.8 IS II trumps all in regards to wide open sharpness (more evident in the corners) and vignetting.

11. Mred32

Mred32 Old and Decrepit

Several years ago I sold my 70-200 f/4 IS lens and bought the non-IS version. I was glad I did.
    Non-IS was sharper, cheaper and lighter. Since i wanted it for outdoor daytime stuff the IS was of little or no advantage to me.

Mred32

12. smorter

smorter Member

Just one thing to note about the 70-200 f/4L IS, it is TERRIBLE at MFD, from about 160mm upwards due to residual uncorrected spherical abberations caused by the lack of floating element. Makes it unusable for maximum magnification photos.

I'm not sure if this design issue affects the 70-200 f/4L as I have never used it

Nevertheless, I still recommend the IS version as you get so much more versatility with it. And regarding the design flaw I mentioned, a workaround is to step back about 3m+. It's not ideal, but better than a soft photo

13. Mred32

Mred32 Old and Decrepit

The SA at MFD is a minor issue unless you plan on using this lens as a close-up kit.
    It will only be visible if you are shooting at near 200mm and at very short range... and looking for it.

Mred32

14. OP
    OP
    Shortass_Jr

Shortass_Jr Member

guys just wanted to fill in went out to winton vicdrift today unreal my god people have skills :) the lens worked a treat!!!! 200mm is fine at winton :D

15. MatterHorn

MatterHorn Member

So basically you got one of the very few average F/4 IS lenses? Price is definately a factor, but weight? It's something like 50g difference and when they're both > 700g you couldn't tell the difference with a blindfold on.

16. Mred32

Mred32 Old and Decrepit

Weight was a minor factor, but since I sell these things every day for a living I was able to put a number of them to the test and managed to consistently get better results out of the non-IS models.

Mred32