1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

CANON 7D

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by FB008, Aug 30, 2009.

1. birdie

birdie Member

Did you get hit with GST at customs? or did they mark it lower for you? (by default or request?)

Also is it worth getting the Mack extended warranty?

2. MatterHorn

MatterHorn (Taking a Break)

'sif DWI ever actually mark any package over $1000 :lol:

With warranty that's really up to you - probably worth checking what's covered. Things like the shutter dying probably aren't covered by warranty as it's "wear and tear".

3. ElBeasto

ElBeasto Member

I'm more interested if anyone has ever got a camera from them that worked in general but say, didn't focus quite right.
    Do you just get the, "it's within spec" BS, or do they fix it or replace it?

4. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Okay another weekend with the camera and the focus is SPOT on..

Some of the images from it are absolutely crystal clear *stunned*.

Having said this, there is a distinct difference between viewfinder focus and liveview focus I noticed.

Are Canon fixing that issue, or is it already resolved with firmware?

5. Zee

Zee Member

As in which is right and which is not?

Z...

6. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Yeah which is right (Liveview I believe is) but shouldn't both have the same results?

7. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

Depends on where you put that white square in the Liveview screen when you're doing your focusing. Definitely focusing on the same subject?

Plus contrast-detect and phase-detect work differently, they might pick up different focus points. Not sure though.

8. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

9. bigmaxy

bigmaxy Member

Hi Mitch01

I'm really not sure what you are talking about, I don't see any grain myself and the link you have provided show one person with a problem with another commenting. Not exactly widespread.

Liveview focusing is supposed to be the most accurate but it is slow.
    When I am checking lens accuracy and doing micro adjust I will compare the result of SpotAF focus with the Liveview focus and adjust accordingly. This will change the SpotAF so that it is the same as the Liveview result.

The only main issue I have with this body is that it likes to use a lower shutter speed over higher ISO in program mode. Sometimes the shutter speed is too low resulting in blur.

(Yes, get the body out of P and lock those setting in for the conditions, use faster lenses, use flash as required, learn to be steadier to reduce motion blur. LOL)

10. BRGMCS

BRGMCS Member

I bought a 7D (locally) which had really badly broken AF. Being able to take it back into the shop the next day and swap it on the spot suddenly made the extra $$ I paid seem worth it....
    Ironically, I'd actually ordered it from DWI not realising they sent from HK, and then cancelled the order.

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

No problems with the viewfinder on mine. And don't know how any 'setting ' could affect it - it's purely optical after all. The LCD overlay is clear, but in a really bright situation, you can make out the 'off' LCD segments - but only if you're really looking.

12. Tomee

Tomee Member

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

14. theDarkHorse

theDarkHorse Member

Here's another interesting piece of news re: the 7D: Canon USA and UK are offering a modification service that changes the mode dial to be a locking one, so that modes aren't accidentally changed.

(Source: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...geKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480245968)

I've had this problem a few times while shooting, so I might be tempted to go for the operation.

15. ya3

ya3 Member

My 60D has this and it's such a pain :confused:
    So awkward having to press the centre of the mode dial while turning it, especially since the Video mode is aaaalllllllllllll the way on the opposite end to M and Av.

16. shmity

shmity Member

Video is attached to the live view button on the 7d/5d so that's not an issue in this case.

17. Hi-tek

Hi-tek Member

Its annoying when you have it on your shoulder and when it brushes against something it hits the dial and changes without you knowing.

Maybe they should have a lock button like the one for the back dial so you can turn the lock on and off rather than having to hold it. I'm only ever on M or Av mode so it'll come in handy

18. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

I would prefer the lock to be like an on off type switch. So if you want to lock it in AV, or TV, or M for isntance, you can just hit a button (even if it was just software, and turning the dial then just didnt do anything). ive had a play of the 60D's button, and its a pain in the ass. id hate to have to push the button in like that all the time

19. RichoB

RichoB Member

Wouldn't you get all confused as to what mode it was in though? I'm not going to read the back display to recheck what mode I'm in.

My (implausible) desire would be to have the dial then rotate, so it would lock when released, but you could still quickly refer to the setting.

I like the fact that it's offered as an upgrade though.

20. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Well if it were in software, it would perhaps make a noise to tell you when you moved the dial.

If I wanted to shoot in AV, and I locked the wheel in software, if the dial moved to TV for instance, the camera wouldn't know about it. As soon as you turn lock off, it knows where it's at, and changed to the setting its on. It wouldnt get annoying, as you would know it was locked, so you would know turning the dial wouldnt do anything.

Or, just have a manual switch that physically locks the wheel in place. I would prefer a physical switch, but the software switch could be done via firmware im sure (not that canon would do it)...