Canon develops a new Canon Hybrid IS

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Herballizard, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Herballizard

Herballizard Member

Shamelessly nicked off Dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09072207canonhybridIS.asp

Would I be correct in thing that there could be a flood of perfectly good L glass being flogged by those keen on early adaption.

Also its nice to see that canon are doing something new. Reckon that they might make an in-body IS cam?

2. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

LOL

Those who shoot with a Pentax K7 would know that this isn't really a "world first".

Damn they're good at marketing though!

bazz.

3. StuartL

StuartL Member

Probably. There are likely a lot of gearheads that are, for example, holding off on buying the 100-400mm - and have been doing so for several years now - on the basis that it'll be updated "any day now".

Me? I say that the lens you have in your hands today will take far better pictures today than the lens you'll have in your hands next year. (Read it carefully, and think about it.)

If, and only if, they can work out a way to get the double whammy of in-body and in-lens IS working together. The alternative is to shut down in-body or in-lens IS when both are available, and that's kinda pointless, given the number of IS lenses Canon has in its lineup.

4. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

I'm struggling to see the point of rotational IS...

*maybe* if you're doing like a low light portrait shot with a xxxD body (ie, because it's smaller and easier to rotate)?

EDIT: Just read what it said about macro shooting - which I guess is true.
    That said, do any of the current Canon macro lenses even have IS? If not, then presumably the main lenses they're be looking to replace/upgrade are the 60mmm, 100mm, 180mm, and 65mm MPE.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. OP
    OP
    Herballizard

Herballizard Member

I figured it wouldn't be bad to have IS running inbody in combination with a some of the non IS primes

6. ehor

ehor Member

Hmmm.
    Might explain the world wide shortage of some Canon lenses?

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

Why? It's a brilliantly flexible lens. Plenty of reach, outdoor usable aperture, and great quality (just keep it away from the extremes or tele/wide or apeture, much like any lens).

(yes, I have one)

8. StuartL

StuartL Member

I agree with you. That's why I commented on the lens you have in your hands today taking far better pictures today than the lens you have in your hands next year - because the lens you have in your hands next year won't be taking pictures until next year.

Buy what you need, when you need it, and don't worry about waiting for the next release if it's something you need and which will do what you want it to do. If you wait until the latest and greatest comes out, you'll be waiting forever, because the latest and greatest, when it comes out, will be obsolete again in short order according to the rumour pages.

9. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

I hope all the gear heads on here get rid of all their L series IS lenses when these come out so I can finally buy an L series lens haha :thumbup:

10. ozadam

ozadam Member

there's been lots of rumours in recent days about the 70-200 2.8 IS being discontinued, the rumour was started by an Adorama rep mis-reading an email so aren't really true. but the fact that stock for that lens is low enough to think it is discontinued might hint at the first of the L's to get the new IS system.

you can pretty much guarantee that the Fred Miranda guys will instantly sell any lens using the old IS system...and then perhaps 2 or 3 copies of the new lens until they find one that takes the sharpest photos of batteries :lol:

11. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Top Post, will read again!

12. adamadam

adamadam Member

"The technology will be incorporated in an interchangeable single lens reflex (SLR) camera lens planned for commercial release before the end of 2009."
    From the words in the article, if they know anything more, sounds like there will be a some new IS lenses by the end of this year. And the talk about macro... perhaps a macro lens with IS by end of this year? :D

13. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

That would be the logical place to implement this technology.

14. baar01

baar01 Member

Maybe I am missing something, but isn't Pentax's IS in the body? So since this is in the lens, it is a world first?

15. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

There has been some rumours that we'll see more superteles from Canon. I'm still hoping we'll see a 24-70 f/2.8L IS...

16. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

They didn't say world's first in a lens though.

In any case I've asked one of FJ's colleagues for clarification on exactly what it is and what it offers Canon shooters.

Apparently it's not "rotational" correction but "shift" correction. Shift correction is somehow different to pitch and yaw correction but is also not the same as "roll" correction that we see in the Pentax system.

bazz.

17. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

The press release hosted on DPreview suggests that Canon was well aware that somebody else had implemented the technology first, as it qualifies the "world's first" assertion with "For use in interchangeable SLR camera lenses as of July 17, 2009. According to Canon research".

Another episode in the long-running war between marketing and reality :p

18. Alpha2k6

Alpha2k6 Member

Hmm been waiting for Sony to get their thumb out of their *** and release a 200mm macro.

Don't make me want to think about Canon :p

19. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I'm pretty sure this can't happen. Something to do with the retrofocus design required or something. I think its to do with the 24-70 and 2.8 because the 24-105/L is f/4 but its about the same size as the 24-70.

I seem to recall reading someone lens savvy saying you could make a 24-70/2.8 IS but it wouldn't fit under the prism?

20. kkkrusty

kkkrusty Member

For some reason i cant see this being useful on a true macro lens eg. >1x magnification.

I can see it helping with available light shots, but buggers me how IS is going to stop an insect from darting away before you pull the trigger, the light you need to get the DOF up means you need to use a flash, which negates needing the IS.

Most high magnification shots i've taken have been with the aid of tri/monopods and ring/macro flash.

I can only see the IS being useful on available light shots which would be a very small fraction of any macro photographers shutter count.

i must be missing something here, all i see is canon trying to milk macro shooters again, the lenses aren't marked up enough (macro flashes anyone?)......lets find a way to make them cough up.