Canon EOS 300D

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Squeezer, Oct 15, 2003.

1. lorenthehaloboy

lorenthehaloboy Member

I am looking at selling my 300D (bought here at PhotoContinental) with Hoya filters etc. Looking for $1600 if anyone is interested. 2 months old. Just bought 10D.

2. TheImp

TheImp Member

I'd love to get one.. no mullah :(

3. Jab

Jab Member

lorenthehaloboy

Any lens with that or body only ?

Jim :)

4. eyal

eyal Member

Ok, this is important stuff. I am looking at the 10D (300D is the same) and I have an issue with this "pros use the viewfinder" attitude.

I mostly take macro photos of orchides. These are often very small and close to the ground. This means that I have to breath dust in order to see what I am doing. And a 90deg adaptor is not really that much help.

An LCD will be a dogsend. Heck, put a low res sensors in the viewfinder, then allow the LCD to be separated from the camera for easy viewing (wired is just fine).

With an LCD, and high (digtal) magnification I should be able to judge focus very well (I should be able to see single pixels).

I now strongly believe that using a viewfinder is not always the prefered mode, and even a pro (not me...) will appreciate its utility.

If there was (is there?) a device that I can mount on the viewfinder which does this then I am very interested.

5. lorenthehaloboy

lorenthehaloboy Member

18-55mm lens as per kit here in Australia... also a coupl eof hoya filters...

6. TomaHawk

TomaHawk Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  7. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Member

Woohoooo :D :D

Got my 300D today, and i must have taken about 200 shots already! I love it, its soo much fun. I haven't even looked at the manual yet, i have been too excited to use it. I think I'll put the camera down and read it before i go much further though.

Now I just need to decide on a few extra purchases:

I want the 50mm f/1.8 because it is so damn sharp. Any of you guys use this lens? Got anything bad to say about it?

I also want something around 300mm zoom, but have heard average things about the 90-300mm USM which was what I was going to get. Any suggestions people?

Cheers
    gatecrasher

(Will have some piccies up soon)

8. lorenthehaloboy

lorenthehaloboy Member

Nice camera hey *grin*

I love that 50mm lens, and highly recommend it. As for 300mm, I still cant go past the 70-200mm L series (even the cheaper 4f one, rather than the 2.8 IS, although I love mine)... with the 1.6 times mag on the 300D, you end up with 300mm anyway, or add a 1.4x canon extender...

just my 2 cents worth... gotta get back to packing for my trip!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  9. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Member

Very nice camera mate, & thanks for being so easy to deal with :D :D

I just don't know if I can afford to fork out for an L series, although they are sexy lenses. I'm going to have a look at PhotoContinental this arvo and check out whats on offer..
    But I think the 50mm is as good as sold !!

EDIT: Will be expecting some piccies when you get back too!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  10. Gemini

Gemini Member

Been staying out of the thread. Lots of opinions! Somewhat heated at times as well I noticed..

Someone mentioned downloading a PDF of the Manual. I want to get this camera, it's just a matter of saving up for it, a manual would tide me over till I skim some cash off the top of the next few weeks/months paychecks..

Does anyone know where you can download the Manual for the 300D?

Official link would be great but I couldn't find one.. an unofficial one I dont think would be massively popular.. either way.. lemme know? Ta...

Gemini

11. ob1

ob1 Member

I have had my d.rebel (from centre.net.au) since october and i love it.
    I am awaiting delivery of my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and Sigma 70-300mm Super APO MacroII from smilephotovideo.com. All up for both lenses and delivery was only AUD$390!!! Dont even think of going to an Aussie retail store.
    Most ppl love the canon 50mm f/1.8, but warn that you have to stop it down a few stops to get the best out of it.
    As for the zoom lens, i think the Sigma is the best bet.....It has great acclaim amongst the dpreview.com guys and is cheap! It may not be an "L" series, but it has the zoom power and a lot of dedicated followers to make it god enough for me.

If you really want an "L", check out the US prices e.g buydig.com has the Canon 70-200MM F/4.0 L for USD$559....Quite attractive, except i'd prefer the extra zoom of a 300mm.

sean.

12. buckchoi

buckchoi Member

The 50 F1.8 is great.

The 90-300 on the other hand is not so great. The USM version is quick quick focusing but thats about all its got going for it. I picked one up and it just feels plain flimsy. Possibly look for the Canon 100-300 for better build quality if you can afford it.
    Better yet get the 70-200 F4L from USA but that is a bit steep.

13. dk_mfoto

dk_mfoto Member

Digital Rebel/300D Manual

14. sniper_cs

sniper_cs Member

Mine arrived Tuesday.

A few pictures from Brisbanes storm thisarvo (29th) - and the amazing deep red sky afterwards.

www.mitch.id.au/storm/

I have the full res copies if anyone wants any.

15. ob1

ob1 Member

Jeez. Lucky to get a decent lightning picture within only 2 days!!! I've been trying during the storms for about 3 months now, but the damn lightning is never anywhere near our place :)

16. sniper_cs

sniper_cs Member

Yeah I know - i'm fairly pleased with that shot.

However I wish I could get some decent lightning at night, so I can set it up for a 30 second exposure, and get heaps.

woo!

17. skitz

skitz New Member

I love lightning..its orgasmic...heres my 30sec attempt with ma brand spankin new 300D....its well used by now tho...got a few other lightning shots but this is by far the best...good composition..nice exposure...nice placement...yeaaahhh..i love this shot
    ELECTRAFYIN

18. sniper_cs

sniper_cs Member

Very nice.

I've tried to get somewhere at night to have a decent view, but the camera always gets too soaked :(

19. TheImp

TheImp Member

Thats a great shot!

20. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Friend of mine bought himself a 300D the other day. Had a play with it for an hour or so.

Damn, I want one. Coming from using Kodak happy-snap cameras such as the DX3900 and DX4900 (and my first digitcal camera, the DC265), it's great to have that SLR flexibility again just like when I was young and my dad let me take a few shots with his old Olympus OM-2. Pictures in low light have a lot less noise in them than I'd expected.

I'm not too familiar with the world of expensive glass for cameras, but he's got himself a 300mm lens of some sort - I believe it was made by Canon and cost around 400 bucks - maybe he was ripped off? :) I don't know. I can get specs/info if people are interested.

Three of the pics I took are here if anyone's interested. Just remember that I haven't touched a real camera in years so it's probably not bad given the hour I had to play with the thing.

I'm convinced - I want one :)