Canon EOS 300D

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Squeezer, Oct 15, 2003.

1. lorenthehaloboy

lorenthehaloboy Member

If you have the money, the best lens that I have come across is the L 70-200mm 2.8f IS. Its a little $$$, but I bought one from B and H in New York, and its the best lens I have purchased. Great for portraits, long shots, wildlife... As for my primary lens (with the 300D and 10D) is the L 17-40mm 4f. Real solid lens, and a little more wide angle than the one that comes with the 300d. Thats my 2 cents worth.

2. Gemini

Gemini Member

The 70-200mm L 2.8f IS is a little $$$? At $4000AU rrp I would class it is -very- $$$ compared to the $400-$800 lenses that have been mentioned previously..

Or did you get some utterly fantastic deal from B&H?

3. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

it's about AU$2.5k (inc shipping, gst, etc) from B&H

4. djsherly

djsherly Member

On the fredmiranda buy/sell forum today - a s/h 70-200 f4 L lens - $500 US + postage. For around 750 you can't really go wrong! The optics I read are just as good, just a stop or so slower and No IS, but much lighter and cheaper!

You could onsell for that price.

Cheers,

Chris.

5. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

The 70-200mm f4L is US$580 new (with international warranty) from B&H.

6. djsherly

djsherly Member

I agree, but B&H slug an amazing postage charge, something in the region of $50 US: takes the shine off a bit.

I'd be happier buying a mint s/h lens I know works (and the fred miranda crew appear to take their reputations pretty seriously) than having to return an item to B&H, Adorama, KEH etc should the lens happen to backfocus, for instance.

I imagine that B&H will also mark the Customs Declaration 'correctly' and you may be up for GST as well on the uplift value.

Just my tuppence.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  7. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I'd rather buy something new with an international warranty :)

International warranty also means it can be warrantied here, there'd be no need to return it to B&H. If you bought it from FredMiranda and something went wrong with it, it may not have an international warranty. Only some versions do.

Each to his own though.

8. djsherly

djsherly Member

Hey, like you said!

Anecdotally, I've heard the local service gets a bit shirty with international warranty repairs - or was that just for bodies?

9. djsherly

djsherly Member

It's an interesting risk - I bought a 28-135IS and a 50MkII on FredMiranda and in total spent around 600 Australian bucks. My local photo store sells the 28-135 for $1099 and the 50MkII for nearly $200 - there's not a whole lot that can go wrong with lenses from my experience.

Cheers,

Chris.

10. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

... except that the quality control on some lenses are known to be a bit dodgy. If you go to the Fred Miranda forums you will read of a few users who have taken unacceptable pictures with their lenses and have had to return them ...

11. djsherly

djsherly Member

Yep. I 've read similar and that's why I'd prefer to buy second hand if I am buying remotely, because it's less cash at risk, and the goods are known to work fine. OTOH you have to take the seller at their word, but like I said before, reputations seem pretty sacred at FM. I suppose it's all about your risk profile.

I think I'm about to buy that 70-200 F4L, I'll let you know how it turns out. I doubt I'll get a dud, but I am prepared to eat my words.

Cheers,

Chris.

12. djsherly

djsherly Member

So, it's all bought and paid for, total cost to me was $700. I've been sent a scan of the mailing receipt and it should be here by Friday, hopefully in time for the first Brumbies match.

My wife's going to kill me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2004
  13. djsherly

djsherly Member

The lens I bought turned up - exactly as described. I may as well have walked out of the store with it myself. I've tested the focusing and it's all good. Feels much more substantial than other lenses I've held. The $700 I saved, well I never had it really.

Like Amfibius said, it's a risk buying overseas and second hand, or even new for that matter, but the rewards are there when it works out.

Cheers,

Chris.

14. Gemini

Gemini Member

We want pictures! :)

15. djsherly

djsherly Member

I think someone else on this board said, "I'm no Ansell Adams" - perhaps it was Widowmaker?

I would register in that same category, but I'll give a shot... Give me a week to get used to it!

16. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

I have been shopping around at the local Camerahouse, they have the 300D kit with a "bonus" at the moment.

The regular price for the 300D kit (ie the 18-55 lens) is $1849. They have now a new bundle which adds to then kit the Canon 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 zoom taking the price up to $2149
    Incedently it would also look like this is an "obsolete" lens now as it doesn't show on canon.com.au

Just had a look at the reviews from a few sites for the extra lens
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=11&sort=7&thecat=27
    http://www.photo.net/ezshop/product?product_id=3250

Seems it is a bit of a cheaply built lens, even though it has the USM.

It seemed odd to me that they would include a cheap zoom, with questionable quality on a hi res camera.

Probably would have been better with a 55-200 f/4.5-5.6 II USM or 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM

Both retail at ~$400-450

17. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

The 28-200 is probably in the same class as the kit lens. 90-300 is in the same low category too. They're shit lenses and it shows on the 300D.

Seems odd to sell it with so much overlap in lenses as well. 18-55 and 28-200. If it really is an EOL'ed lens, then it sounds like they are just trying to get rid of otherwise unsaleable stock.

The 300 films were bundled with the 75-300 giving you 28-80/90 and 75-300 which made much more sense.

Those prices are still more than online stores like dirtcheapcameras.com.au and bhphoto.com

18. CptVipeR

CptVipeR Member

True true!

Anyone had any experience with the 55-200 II USM? Quality wise?

Of course the prices are more expensive.. but you get that when they have a store front and sales people in suits. :)

The other thing is though they have stock.. where many online retailers are struggling.

19. Murmandamus

Murmandamus Member

Don't know anything about that lens but the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II is another option. Better range + the macro feature. It's around $500-600 iirc.

20. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Member

Yepp just got one of these last week, $270 Shipped to my door from the US..... Loving the exchange rate :)