Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and new lenses

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by 2SHY, Aug 25, 2016.

1. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Canon has released a incremental upgrade to its full frame camera.

Is it too little too late for Canon?

Camera Specifications

EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera Specifications:
    • New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range 100–32,000; expandable up to 50–102,400.
    • 4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in-camera still frame grab* of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images; multiple video options include Full HD up to 60p, and HD up to 120p.
    • Superb Dual Pixel CMOS AF for responsive and smooth AF during video or Live View shooting; LCD monitor has full touch-screen interface, including selection of AF area.
    • Excellent performance — up to 7.0 fps** continuous shooting speed with high performance DIGIC 6+ Image Processor for improved speed and excellent image quality.
    • 61 AF points with expanded vertical coverage with 41 cross-points, and AF possible at all 61 AF points with many lens + extender combinations effective at f/8.
    • 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor helps provide precise exposure metering, helps detect flickering lights and allows for enhanced scene recognition and face detection capabilities.
    • Dual Pixel RAW*, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.
    • Built-in Wi-Fi®1 and NFC2 connectivity provide easy sharing to compatible smart devices, select social media sites and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.
    • Built-in GPS3 provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code (UTC) via satellites.

Source

16-35mm f2.8III Specifications

Focal range: 16-35mm
    Aperture range: f/2.8-f/22
    16 elements in 11 groups
    Two large-diameter, glass-molded, dual-surface aspherical elements and one ground aspherical element for edge sharpness, low vignetting, and minimal distortion
    Two ultra-low dispersion elements to reduce chromatic aberrations
    Subwavelength and Air Sphere coatings to reduce flaring and ghosting
    Ring-Type USM focusing motor with full-time override
    Dust and water resistance
    Fluorine coating to reduce smears and enable easier cleaning
    Nine rounded aperture blades
    0.22x maximum magnification with 11" minimum focusing distance
    Source

24-105mm f4L IS II Specifications

Focal range: 24-105mm
    Aperture range: f/4-f/22
    17 elements in 12 groups
    4 stops of image stabilization
    Zoom lock switch to prevent lens creep
    One large-diameter, glass-molded, dual-surface aspherical element along with three addition glass-molded aspherical elements for edge sharpness, low vignetting, and minimal distortion
    Air Sphere coating to reduce flaring and ghosting
    Ring-Type USM focusing motor with full-time override
    Dust and water resistance
    Fluorine coating to reduce smears and enable easier cleaning
    10 rounded aperture blades
    0.23x maximum magnification with 18" minimum focusing distance
    Source

Previews

DP Review Canon EOS 5d Mark IV

Cinema 5d thoughts on Canon EOS 5d Mark IV

Imaging Resource hands on with Canon EOS 5d Mark IV

F Stoppers - Canon EOS 5d Mark IV and new lenses

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

I dont think so, the pricing is high on release but it always is. It will drop down towards XMAS and be a bit more reasonable.

Canon still have a stranglehold over market share, and they count on people being invested in their glass.

The tides are turning but there is room for everyone.

Will wait for the proper reviews before working out if I want to grab two bodies or switch over to Nikon.

It also has the 6D MKII which I think we will see in the next 12 months.

Also, since you made the thread I hope you are willing to update the OP with specs/photos and reviews :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  3. dodgyexposure

dodgyexposure Member

I recall when the 5D3 was released, the initial response was "Ho hum, incremental advance", based on the announced specs.

Then, when people started getting their hands on the actual cameras, most were impressed by how much it actually improved on the 5D2.

Hopefully, this one will be similar.

4. Houston

Houston Member

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-first-impressions-review

https://www.teds.com.au/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv $5,199.95 :eek:

Kind of underwhelming (expected from canon these days). 30mp is a decent bump and the new AF system is a welcome upgrade. Disappointing they still haven't caught up to Nikon/Sony in terms of dynamic range. Looks like they've concentrated more on video improvements.

Being someone who doesn't care about video/wifi/gps/fps the 5DS looks a little more enticing. Interesting to see what they'll do about the 6D successor, if they make one.

5. Deftone2k

Its $3500USD on B&H though, so I think you will see prices be revised once more information, roll out dates and pricing comes to light.

I dont get why people still look at the 5DS/r, it was such a poor release? It had great MP.. that is about it (and the price is bananas). Surely an A7r2 would be a better investment?

There are some good things in the 5D4 package that will keep people on board, I am waiting to see the AF improvements most of all. Things like wifi + GPS are great, but actually two fast slots is such an improvement for my line of work. And GPS time sync is awesome so I dont have to worry about second shooters messing that bit up.

I think later in the year, with some good sales (like the Teds 20% EBAY) we could hopefully see it around the $4k mark, or just under. that would be nice.

I do think a 6D MKII is on the way, to fit in that gap between 7D and 5D4, to perhaps rival the D750(and next iteration of that) and then the D810 replacement will be matched with the 5D4. Tho based on how long it took to see a 5d4, who knows anymore!

6. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

I'll kick the tyres once prices come down to reasonable levels. Because I do miss the 5D design and ergonomics.

Will be interesting to compare this to the A7III down the track. Not that they're direct competitors. More in terms of value proposition.

7. Houston

Houston Member

Highly unlikely, with the way the AUD is at the moment (and predicted to head even further south of the USD in the next 12 months)

Canon $AUD RRP is supposedly $5699 (taken from another forum, so dont quote me on it lol) http://store.canon.com.au/eos-5d-mark-iv.html

$3500USD + GST comes to ~$5,045.65 AUD anyway :(

8. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

9. humanrace

humanrace Member

If the sensor is anything like the new 1D it will have great DR. That's what I've been waiting for. If the price is crazy ill probably upgrade my mk2 to mk3 and just use magic lantern. and buy a drone :D

10. interlopr

interlopr Member

5D3 price drops :leet:

11. Deftone2k

Its already dropped $300+ on some local websites and under $5k, which just shows a lot of it was just release hype and pricing being unsure. So once we see a couple of months, the market settle, some of the bigger sales later this year or a cash back promotion, it will settle into a better price point IMO.

Not to mention if you are registered for GST, you get that back so it sits at more than 5D3 on release, but not heaps more.

12. Deftone2k

Haha perhaps, if anything the 5D4 price holds up the 5d3 one, you want your one back? Just put a few more frames on it since I bought it off you :lol:

13. humanrace

humanrace Member

that focus shift feature looks awesome

14. Deftone2k

I am loving the touch screen focus in Live View!!!

15. metalrain

metalrain Member

Arrrgh too pricey to upgrade to right now :(

16. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Too little too late? They probably own this market segment easily...

Im an a7 user btw...

17. humanrace

humanrace Member

where is the remote shutter port?

18. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Where the Mark III badge was.

19. TwinII

TwinII Member

I'm more excited by the 5DIV release than the 5DIII. For me (generally landscape shooter) there wasn't much in the 5DIII to entice an upgrade from the Mark II.

I think with the 5DIV the larger megapixel, larger ISO range, enhanced focus and I assume better dynamic range / less noise it is attractive. However, at the current price point I won't be upgrading any time soon. I think the price will settle likely around the $4200 mark - but we'll see.

20. Deftone2k

Yeah but in the applications you speak of, why wouldnt you have just gone and bought a Sony A7R2 already?