Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and new lenses

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by 2SHY, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Houston

Houston Member

I have considered Sony and was very tempted in the past. But nah canon 4 life! I'm going down with the ship! :lol:

And by that logic the only people who should be left shooting Canon are sports/wildlife photographers :p

Its hard to imagine what the 6DII specs would be (if its coming). The 5D4 specs are kind of what i imagined the 6DII would be (maybe a lesser AF system). And the 5D4 would have matched the D810/A7R ~36mp. 6DII to be 24mp?

Photokina will be intriguing this year

2. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Big features I am super keen on:
    * WiFi/connectivity - being able to get photos online instantly is going to be nice, as will being able to run a camera as a remote. I save ~800 on the 5D3's WiFi adapter (which was stupidly priced sadly).
    * Expanded ISO range. It seems slightly incremental compared to the 5D3 which worries me. Give me another stop and I'm all good, though.
    * Better shadow quality- red banding is rife on the 5D3 at high ISO. I'd be very happy if that went. I hope this will give em more latitude on ISO 6400-12800.
    * The new AF system. Glad they didn't cut corners with this. An extra EV in low light will be great for my available light high ISO club stuff.
    * 4K video? Maybe not given the crop... but 720p120 is going to see some use.
    * Better Auto ISO customisation. I use auto ISO a lot in changing conditions. These changes are welcome.
    * Dual pixel AF in live view actually looks like it's pretty good. I suspect I'll use this more than I think.

Things I do not look forward to:
    * Price
    * Availability

I saw the spec list on the 5D3 and was initially underwhelmed when it was released but it was leaps and bounds ahead of the 5D2.

Nothing here looks like a step back from the 5D3 in any way, which is VERY comforting.

This thing is VERY costly compared to what I paid for my 5D3 only a few weeks after release. A secondhand 1DX will get me better low light performance tham my 5D3 for much less coin.

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

No not really, the 5D3 was the Canon option for shooting weddings, and before the D750 came out it was really the D3s/D4 for Nikon. The XT-2 is now a viable option, Sony isnt really with single slots still.

But when you lay it out on the table what you do actually shoot, then I couldnt see why most landscape centric people wouldnt have gone the D810 or switched to the Sony!

Yep that is where my head is at, though I think it will slot in with a very similar spec list to the D750 (SD slots, slower FPS, low MP.. maybe closer to 20), not weather sealed, maybe tilt screen, hopefully not a restricted shutter speed.

Had some good chatter on FB tonight with a bunch of pro's, everyone is so split on where they want to go with gear now.

I've stuck it out this long, but look forward to seeing the price go south to where I think it should sit!

4. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

WiFi and NFC are basic features of a 5k camera, I don't know why people are swanning over those additions.

GPS is actually quite nice to see.

I'm sure it's a perfectly adequate stills camera, durable body and weather sealed, but those video specs are really a kick in the guts.

1.72x crop for 4k video, with no flat profile, no focus peaking, no zebras, MJpeg codec. No clean HDMI out, no HDMI 4K out, it's 1080p 4:2:2 in 8bit. But at least it has Dual Pixel AF on a touch screen... like an 80D

My a7R II in FF video mode is soft, (more like upscaled 2k), but it's full frame at least, and in 35mm mode it only has a 1.5x crop.

Pretty nuts.

5. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

it will sell well, to all the canon users (pro's in particular, and well heeled amateurs).
    Improves the weak points of the mk3 - better res, better DR, better AF in liveview (at least as good as the mirrorless compeititon and lots better than nikon), better AF system, and some video improvements.

6. TwinII

TwinII Member

Yeah that is true.

7. richan3185

richan3185 Member

Kinda agree. People swooning over basic features, 120fps 720....please, have you seen an A6300 at 120fps 1080 at a quarter of the price AND better 4k? Come on Canon

I do like the dual pixel and full time pdaf in video. I think sony has been screwing us over not enabling this on A7R2 tbh, just so they can do it on the 3 and push people to upgrade.

This brings Canon up to A7R2 capability in everything except AF where it surpasses. Sony will leapfrog Canon again...BSI, more pdaf, fulltime pdaf in video, etc...gotta do better Canon, sorry :(

8. Eradicate'

Eradicate' Member

9. richan3185

richan3185 Member

Hey, hey hey....the metabones is not totally useless :p

Sony colour does get me sometimes tho...

10. metalrain

metalrain Member

The Mark IV does seem like a stills performer first and foremost. Seems like video is just an afterthought. Hell, I think Dual-Pixel AF in live mode would be so handy for those overhead shots, especially with the touchscreen to focus. Only thing I'm somewhat disappointed in is the fixed LCD display, apart from the Aussie price though.

11. taksan

taksan Member

I actually think it is ..... too little and too late for Canon that is.

Sony is years ahead on sensor technology, video features and Nikon is ahead in SLR's.

Canon ruled the word but got complacent and threw it all away.

12. taksan

taksan Member

Yeah it's yet more evidence that Canon have completely lost the plot and failed to notice the train coming down the tracks.

13. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

I think the issue is that it's only a segment of the professional community that is crying out for video. Journalist and multimedia producers. Many others seem satisfied to buy the same incremental iteration every half decade.

Check out what Dan Chung and Philip Bloom have to say about the new 5D.

If you go and read some of the comments on POTN or Reddit (I try to never read reddit comments) most people who I would assume are just consumers say they wish video functions were completely absent and they 'just focus on stills'.

For people who make a living off stills only that's perfectly fine, but in news at least, that segment of the professional industry is shrinking dramatically, and more and more video is an expected qualification if you work in media. The popularity of video is taking over, and you only need to look at the abundance of autoplay videos on facebook and twitter feeds to realise it.

I don't know why Canon doesn't.

News websites get more clicks on videos than stills gallery's, and editors are now telling multimedia journalists to go out and come back with a small gallery of images, 1000 words and enough video for a 3 minute edit.

I think it's a fallacy to imagine that the people that want video in a 5D can be pushed to buy a C100. I can't slip a C100 in my shoulder bag, and I can't do a editorial portrait with a C100, and I can't operate with a C100 solo as easily as I can with a DSLR on a carbon fiber tripod.

The news room that I worked in, replaced ALL their 5D3s with 80Ds because it did better video than the 5D, had an articulating touch screen, and DPAF and used the existing collection of lenses. People are downgrading not upgrading with Canon gear. For high end multimedia cameras, most people I know have moved to Sony, for the a7S and a7R.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  14. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

IMHO Canon's biggest problem is the Simga MC-11 (and to some extent when Metabones gets their act together with a similar firmware on their adaptors).

If you have tried a 35 1.4 art + MC-11 (for example) on a A7RII body, why would you not just buy a A7RII + MC-11 instead of getting a 5D4 for more money?

If Sony does an A9 with a touch screen (cause that is the only thing it really needs), as far as I am concerned, the 5D4 will be completely irrelevant (not that I am saying it is a bad camera or that it won't sell, but mind share and market perception does count).

The most interesting camera announcement this year is still to come and it will probably be the one from Fuji.

15. Deftone2k

They still hold market share (but a long way) and that hasnt really dwindled... they hit the mark in the areas where seemingly their share is worth the most.

It doesnt make sense to me why you wouldnt want to strive to be the best all the time, and perhaps they are much more complacent than they should be.. but they are holding steady for the time being.

16. Houston

Houston Member

Don't think its very relevant when its their entry level APS-C bundles which is pumping up their figures. They are certainly killing it in the low end. Nikon are doing better with the high end. Albeit this could be a side effect of Canon taking 20 years to release new cameras.

E.g. Canon's best selling DSLRs in the last two years have been:

1. T5 / 1200D
    2. 80D
    3. T5i / 700D
    4. SL1 / 100D
    5. T6i / 750D

vs Nikon

1. D750
    2. D3300
    3. D7200
    4. D500
    5. D810

17. Deftone2k

They still have the numbers and sales over all (by a long way last time I looked). They are also reliant on those that are committed to the system (there are a lot of us) and have a big share of the pro market (especially in Sports, just look at all the major events). Nikon and NPS are trying to close that gap, but CPS definitely have the edge at the moment. Like all big business if your core sales are supported and dominating in the mass consumer markets, it gives you the breathing room to do what you want in other niche areas.

When you hold a brand and market share though, you know you will be back in the sales when you have any new release. I still firmly believe the D750 completely threw a spanner in the Canon works as it stole the thunder on all the plans for the 5D4, and it went back to the drawing board (and the very long gap between 5d3 and 5d4).

The best thing is that it opened up the markets for the past couple of years for other manufacturers to get their foot in the door and get some good sales momentum. I expect the 5d4 will still sell well, and Canon will take back some of their sales numbers from the others.

I guess what I am saying is, its not really all doom and gloom like some people seem to expect will be the result of the 5D4.

Also maybe this will properly kick them into a better release cycle, and we will see a shorter gap between now and the 6D MKII.. it certainly sets the specs up for this to come in and compete directly with the D750 (perhaps closer on price too).

18. Houston

Houston Member

True. I think this is Canons biggest problem.

There is nothing about their latest cameras that is going to attract "new customers" or entice other people to switch from Sony/Nikon/Other brands.

They will be in trouble soon if they are relying solely on "repeat customers" who are already locked into the Canon system.(It's not sustainable) Particularly when Sony/Nikon Other brands DO have the features that can entice people away from Canon.

I forget which forum i was reading, but there was a comparison done between how similar Canon is now vs Nokia (before it collapsed). It hit the nail on the head (id go looking for it, if it wasn't 2am)

But basically Canon just stinks of Nokia/Blackberry before their big fall from grace. Thinking they are the #1 big fish that can dictate the way the industry goes just because they sell the most units. Stubbornness to innovate and listen to their customers killed those "market-share" leaders. I just pray they have something up their sleeve to show us soon.

19. wiztek

wiztek Member

Any info on real world AF performance and DR? These are the factors that usually make or break a DSLR right... The lifecycle and sales performance of a DSLR isn't really determined by the number of features it has imo... but the actual performance and subsequent reputation it builds.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  20. aokman

aokman Member

As expected the 5D mkIV was a disappointment just like the 1Dx more targeted at people who dont know any better or just want more of the same old thing.

4K video or even decent video is a big thing for me, I dont want 3 cameras with me just so I can cover all bases. I would rather get an A7R II to go alongside my 1Dx to cover eveything else.