Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and new lenses

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by 2SHY, Aug 25, 2016.

1. dodgyexposure

dodgyexposure Member

I saw a thread on FM that analysed the DR from posted raw files. The conclusion was an improvement of about 1.5EV, or about the same as the DR improvement in the 1DX2, which was generally considered to be significant.

2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Thats a pretty good combo, the sony's adaptability with canon glass is really its sting in the tail for someone like you.

The DR improvement seems good by all reports, but not quite at the Sony level

3. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

If the sony's had the speed and AF of my 1dx I'd be all over it. My hobby is shooting the V8's amongst other fast moving things like jets and I don't know how well an a7 would be for that sort of thing. I don't regularly take video but at the same time I wasn't quite impressed with the quality of footage out of the 1dx when I did try it. Canon probably don't want to release quality video in the 1d or 5d series as it would probably eat into their C series sales.

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

if the sony's had the af of a decent DSLR i wouldnt have to run 2 systems, haha!

5. aokman

aokman Member

If all you care about is AF speed the the GH4 is the camera lol. Makes my 1Dx feel like a snail.

6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

just run a video camera!
    But no, not all i'm caring about :)

7. taksan

taksan Member

Basically this is about it .... they are terminally sick but just don't know it yet and are going to have a long slow public death. Unless of course they actaully do some real innovation and do it fast ...but Canon doing anything fast? LOL ...never happened yet !
    Back when I got my first 1D (which was only 4mp remember) cover published I thought that Canon would rule for a very long time and they did. But their (accidental) creation of the DSLR video market with the 5Dmk2 and their crazy Cinema EOS bullshit have divided and conquered them internally. When you combined it with them basically inventing CMOS DSLR chips and owning their own chip fab it put them in a massive market leading position. But Nikon (and Sony their chipmaker) kept chipping away until they got ahead while Canon did nothing for years and years. All the time phones took away the P&S market and the mid range got chipped away by 4/3 cameras. Canon now find themselves in a very difficult position.

8. schliebs87

schliebs87 Member

https://www.dpreview.com/news/32297...tic-dynamic-range-improvements-to-the-5d-line

Really good article detailing the exposure latitude and ISO invariance of the 5d4. Looks like the on chip ADC has done a good job!

My only real complaint with my 5d3 is the low ISO noise when boosting shadows.
    However, as I'm only shooting travel and landscapes nowadays I'm happy to just bracket and blend exposures with the 5d3

If I was doing pro work and weddings, I reckon I'd upgrade purely based on this DR improvement.

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

no surprise, and be a welcome change for canon users who have been stuck without the ability that other brands have had.

I use invarance/shadow pushing a significant amount in post

10. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

I keep running the figures on switching to a D810+D5 from my 5D3 bodies...

It's still tempting, but the DR advantages of the 5D IV, especially in pushed shadows (I normally shoot 6400-12800 indoors, available light) are tempting me to stay put for another round. The fact that Canon have finally caught up without that magenta banding in the shadows is a relief, but is it too little too late?

11. !nsane

!nsane Member

For me it probably is. Have you guys seen the a99ii release? A7rii sensor with 12fps and awesome AF...

12. aokman

aokman Member

Its all I was looking for in a camera, was hoping the A7R II would have that but alas it wasn't meant to be.

13. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

will see what the price is like on the a99ii when its actually available.
    I have the a99 and like it, but the sensor/AF is getting on now.

Would replace a99 and a7r with it, plus cash on top.

14. !nsane

!nsane Member

So I'm moving from 5dii and currently looking at options, I don't like the 5div price even though I have good glass for it.

I'm looking at selling everything and moving to D810 primary use is landscapes but I do a bit of everything (hence no A7rii)

Do you guys think I should wait and see what the A99ii brings to the table or should it just go with the 810 while the 20% off ebay sale is on? The only ring I will lose in the move is my 24mm ts/E which I will miss but I won't miss the shitty DR and shadow noise of the 5dii.

15. dodgyexposure

dodgyexposure Member

Sensor tech has come a long way since the 5D2. Not to teach you to suck eggs, but have you factored in the cost of building up a new lens lineup, not to mention speedlights etc.? The 5D4 may not look so expensive if you factor in full changeover costs.

16. !nsane

!nsane Member

Yeah it's expensive :( Selling my Canon glass will fund the purchase of the three Tamron f/2.8 zooms that have been very well received though, and the D810 is $2970 (Aus stock) vs the 5D IV that is $4500 (Grey). I'll be losing some money on my 70-200/2.8 unfortunately :(

I feel that the 5d IV is the minimum Canon had to do to keep 5 series shooters around, it's not spectacular, it merely somewhat catches up to the A7Rii and the D810. I am fairly certain that the next Nikon release (D810 successor) will blow away the 5DIV into history, but I'm not overly concerned about waiting and waiting for that to come out, I'd prefer to buy into a system that's progressing not one that's a generation behind their competitors.

I think ultimately it's the fact that the 2 year old D810 still is the king of image quality vs newly released camera's, and the fact that 2 years into it's life cycle it's at a good price point that has made most of my decision, although I am still tossing up the A7Rii with a converter (get to keep glass) or the A99ii (seems like a capable all round system, but it will be quite expensive)

I think the D810 will be the safe choice though...

17. unners

unners Member

Have you considered the Pentax K1? From what I've seen it's very similar to the d810 in normal mode, but pixel shift looks unreal if you can use it in your scenario.

Downsides seem to be limited third party lens support and not brilliant AF for sports.

18. !nsane

!nsane Member

Yup, I've considered it.

A couple of downsides -
    - Quirkiness & generic support from 3rd party manufacturers
    - They have rebranded the Tamron zooms I was looking at as Pentax and chucked a nice premium on top
    - Pixel shift and the associated features look amazing, but very specific and as has been mentioned a lot, a landscape scene with no movement is very rare, I had a think about my use scenario's and I'd prefer a better image all the time than in a specific situation - ALso pixel shift requires you to use their (apparently very average) software.

For these reasons I've decided against the K-1 unfortunately, it looks like a great step forward for Pentax, in line with their 645 series of MF camera's.

19. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

Just spent an evening playing with the 5DIV, wow! That touch screen is amazing! :shock:

Now to upgrade Lightroom to see the pics...

20. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Those with a 5D4.. how are you finding it?

Found any shortcomings yet?