Canon EOS M Mirrorless Camera

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by 2SHY, Jul 20, 2012.

1. lithos

lithos Member

Eh, I doubt it. Canon make all their own sensors, except for ones in their ultra low-end P&S cams (the ones that are the exact same cams as Nikon, Pentax, etc, with different branding).

2. Vrm

Vrm Member

3. apeofjungle

apeofjungle Member

Nope, they haven't. It's a rumour. They announce tomorrow. Not saying they are wrong though.

4. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Will be interesting to see the price. And it's the small details that could make or break it.

The touchscreen obsession is getting to me. One hand on the grip, one under the lens, am I supposed to control the camera via my nose? Would also be a drama if they are to release an EVF (assuming there is connectivity available).

5. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Use your thumb. If properly implemented, it's really easy to use. Olympus does this well.

6. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

Yeah I guess the thumb could work if the menu is implemented well. Not ideal as it cannot be done by feel (tactile feedback! ;)) but using in typical 20cm-from-your-face fashion it could work OK. I should probably hold back from critisising until I've tried it...

7. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Capacitive touch screens like the iPhone are usually quite good. However they don't work with gloves hence some companies like Panasonic use resistive screens instead which are unresponsive. Olympus has a touch to focus and shoot which works amazingly well. Definitely must try.

8. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

The great thing about touch screens is their ability to hasten menu surfing. And the gloves issue is now old school, its very easy to get gloves with conductive tips.

9. hlokk

hlokk Member

Yay, seems I was wrong about it having the G1X sensor. Some of the specs are interesting.

However, that 18-55 is pretty big...
    It mentions phase detect :)thumbup:) but the autofocus speed in the video looks rather slow.... (Olympus m4/3s with constrast only are faster).

10. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Member

$899 is a bit much, would be interested when the price drops.
    Wonder if it has cable release...

12. jumpy

jumpy Member

Preorder available at B&H, $799 w/ 22mm lens. EF Adapter $199.

13. a777

a777 Member

You can use the RC-series infra-red remote releases. No wired shutter release.

Looks pretty good to me. Not sure what everyone was expecting/complaining about. :confused:

Small, mirrorless, good sensor, and with an adaptor can use any of the other Canon lenses. Sounds perfect if you already own a Canon DSLR, and sounds pretty good even if you don't. A little surprised there is no built in flash.

14. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

15. jumpy

jumpy Member

Specs are ok, but where's the incentive for EOS users that already have m4/3/nex cameras? EF lenses? They defeat the purpose of a compact camera except for the new 50mm pancake.

16. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

17. vindicator

vindicator Member

$799.99 with the 22mm lens.

Way over priced for a plastic camera.

The Sony Nex-5N is $100 cheaper with the pancake lens and is made from magnesium alloy.

Should be ~$499 - Olympus E-PM1 status.

18. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

It's not in english but you can see the AF in action starting at around 2:10

19. BRGMCS

BRGMCS Member

I love it when people make big claims that are incorrect:

20. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

And ones that don't matter. Aircraft, rifles, all sorts of shit made from plastics (at least significant portions of) these days and complaining about a camera made from plastic?

Back on topic, the EF adapter is of significant importance to me. Hopefully the adapter price is indicative of it being quite "dumb" (otherwise with Canon tax it would be more expensive) and we'll see third party adapters for ultra-cheap quite quickly.

Also the body itself doesn't look particularly slim. From what I've read the mount->sensor is ~20mm, meaning an adapter will be ~20mm thick itself making some of the smaller EF-mount primes that some of us own not too silly on it - certainly not a primary lens (the 22mm pancake makes the most sense), but as an additional lens floating around in a bag for the odd creative shot.

Still, ~$800 is more than what I can justify on "toys" at the moment, so plenty of time to see what others think of them.