1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon EOS R Mirrorless Full Frame

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by 2SHY, Sep 4, 2018.

1. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I know this probably won't be the case, but every time I imagine the 5655 AF points on the screen, all I can think of is the whole LCD full of red dots overlay on the image and you can't actually see what the image is, it's just red dots lol :lol:

2. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I expected canon not to have IBIS, they want their customer to pay premium for their IS lenses, milking old technology for what it is worth. If they ever have IBIS then expect to pay premium again. I look forward to more competition in the mirrorless market. We the consumers will only benefit.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  3. SyN

SyN Member

Why would Nikon who is in the same case include sensor stabilisation then?

4. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Different company have different approach, Canon will have a different strategy to Nikon. Maybe Canon feels even without IBIS their mirrorless will still sell like hot cake because of brand loyalty and recognition. I found recent Canon release lack the wow factor and new products never cannibalise their existing products. They may have another model for a later date that have IBIS but one thing is certain, get ready to pay a premium.

I find people get excited over IS in canon lenses and Canon knows that and will market these IS lenses as premium. The moment the body have IBIS, the Canon IS brand/feature is worthless.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  5. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

I was hoping that an EOS full frame mirrorless would be able to take EF lenses directly, but it looks like it will require an adaptor. Not super surprising, and the fact that it's part of the design means the implementation should be good, not just an afterthought.

6. Zee

Zee Member

But it doesn't have to be. Olympus has IBIS, and also stabilised lenses - those lenses can work together with IBIS, the Zuiko 300 F4 Pro is the primary example of this, with the lens IS and IBIS working together resulting in a claimed 6 stops of stabilisation.

Z...

7. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Yes, it doesn't have to be, but excluding IBIS is the strategy and position they choose to take. Canon is the market leader they dont need to have IBIS and IS together to move their products. People is going to buy Canon for other reason

8. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

my guess is that they couldnt make the IBIS work in the timeframe so decided to go without it.
    who knows really, just a strange option to go without considering the market

9. OP
    OP
    2SHY

2SHY Member

I think they will add to a higher end mirror less camera. Because market differentiation.

Canon said in their annoucement this camera is to be added to your existing Canon camera and lense setup.

10. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yep both the same as Nikon - you'd think that they would have added it here given the R+D benefits
    plus people who arent sports/wildlife people tend to use slower shutter speeds, plus possibly narrower aperture lenses so just seems strange!

11. Spacenoodle

Spacenoodle Member

To be honest as someone sitting on a huge pile of Canon glass, they didn't even need to make a superior camera to the A73 to keep me, just something that ticked enough boxes. But the gimped video features, no dual cards, no IBIS just kills this camera for me.

12. Caffeine

Caffeine Member

13. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I feel like this is just a slightly smaller dSLR that you need an adaptor to put your lenses on. Those new lenses look huge, I'm not sure what the point is?

14. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

means that canon dont think that a smaller system matters to their customers ... moving ibis to the camera means u dont have it on the lens, hence, smaller lenses.

canon and nikon are at least 1 generation behind, but its great they are both in the mirrorless market. these new canon lenses are pretty cool, and will force sony to also release new lenses.

15. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Member

The 24-70 f2L - some first look/hands on videos shows that it is HUGE!

1.4KG chunk of glasss with a 95mm filter thread. I sometimes feel as if it defeats the purpose of mirrorless in the first place - not to mention it would make for a unbalanced camera and huge stress on the mount!

16. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Well, of course it's huge. That's just physics, you don't get an f/2 zoom without being huge. Presumably they're building this thing now because something about the short back-focal distance makes the engineering work out easier.

Stress on the mount is only a factor if you're silly enough to try to hold the whole thing by the camera grip. Which you won't, because the lens weighs over twice as much as the body, it's definitely a two-handed combo!

17. SyN

SyN Member

The Sigma 24-35mm F2 full frame zoom has barely 1.5x zoom range and that weights 940grams already. 24-70 is almost 3x....

18. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

This is what I'm saying, its like "Here is this really small camera for FF, now, here is a *FUCKING* huge lens for it. Enjoy your new compact mirrorless full-frame camera system".

Yeah, physics gonna phys. I don't doubt it is mechanically / physically sound for the intended use case. But, shit, if it has such a dope sensor for high sens then surely a f/2.8 or something like a 24-60/2.8 would be a better size/weight match.

Of course its in the first tranche of lenses, the 35 might be the lens to have for this though if it turns out to be a good performer.

Be interesting to where the RF system goes, if they can do something like what they did with the OG 5D when FF dslr was in transition, a relatively cheap body that produced good images with a few well placed lenses like the 24-105/4L, 17-40/4L and 70-200/4L they could be on to a winner.

...but I don't think this body and these lenses are 'the point' of mirrorless FF.

19. Michael H

Michael H Member

20. mtma

mtma Member

My guess is that both Canon as well as Nikon have been looking at how Sony have been travelling and surmising: "Well if you want small you wouldn't buy FF anyway, and we don't have an invention better than any of Sony's lineup that makes any meaningfully smaller mirrorless lens that Sony doesn't have."

So Canon have gone the route of trying to draw on their existing market bases' product familiarity: in a way they're slowly reacting to the threat that Sony have poised themselves in.