1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon EOS R5

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by EvilGenius, Jan 29, 2020.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Anyone following the rumours sites will have seen that there are several canon mirrorless cameras due this year, lots of speculation about what they would be.

Canon Rumors today posted up this as a CR3, aka they believe it's a fact.

Canon EOS R5

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-specifications/

45mp. 12fps. IBIS. I want it. I want it now. STFU and take my money. Now lets sit back and watch them release nothing like this :upset:

2. salmon

salmon Member

* HEAVY BREATHING* I need this in my life

EvilGenius likes this.
  3. cyrax83

cyrax83 Member

That looks crazy. If they pull it off, imagine the price tag

4k 120fps? gtfo

I've bought into Sony but I hope Canikon catch up - more competition the better

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Looks like an A7R3 spec sheet.

Happy for more competition :)

5. Derfman

Derfman Member

They got rid of the stupid thumb touch bar!
    This is looking like a great upgrade for my underwater rig, hope it still has all the weather seals and robust frame.

6. Mrmeowpuss

Mrmeowpuss Member

I'll believe it once Nokishita posts something about it, until then I won't hold my breath.

7. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-a...e-mirrorless-camera-and-new-rf-series-lenses/

Official Canon Australia sign up link for more info when announced.

Canon announces development of the EOS R5 next-generation full-frame mirrorless camera

The Company will Also Develop Seven RF Lenses and Two RF Lens Extenders in 2020
    MELVILLE, NY, February 12, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced that its parent company, Canon Inc., is developing the highly anticipated Canon EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera. The camera will feature a newly designed CMOS sensor and new image processor, along with new state-of-the-art optical technologies the company has been able to cultivate through its long history of groundbreaking camera and digital imaging solutions development. In addition, Canon plans to release seven RF lenses and two RF lens extenders that are currently in development. These new photography tools will help to continue to strengthen the EOS R system and cement the RF mount as an industry leader.

“Today’s announcement comes as a direct result of the tireless effort of Canon engineers who have been tasked with developing the next generation of Canon EOS R camera and RF lenses to help elevate the popular system that was announced in 2018,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “In developing the new camera, Canon listened to extensive user-feedback from a variety of photographers. The outcome is a camera and lenses that will delight a variety of shooters and further helps to demonstrate Canon’s commitment to full-frame mirrorless cameras and lenses.”

The EOS R System was initially developed to provide engineers with the ability to design lenses that were thought to be impossible to create previously. The wide lens mount diameter, shorter back focus, and high-speed system for transmitting data between camera and lens have resulted in an imaging system that delivers higher image quality and greater ease-of-use than ever before.

The new full-frame mirrorless camera currently under development will fully leverage the advantages of the EOS R System, helping to produce a camera that features high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording. Furthermore, the camera will provide photographers with more efficient workflows thanks to improved transmission functionality, operability and reliability. These enhancements, along with many others, will help to further elevate and solidify the EOS Series concept of “Speed, Comfort and High-Image-Quality.”

Canon’s EOS R5, the first of the next generation of full-frame mirrorless cameras planned for EOS R System, will include a newly developed CMOS sensor. The new sensor will enable enhanced features such as high-speed continuous shooting up to approximately 20 frames-per-second (FPS) when using the silent shutter and up to approximately 12 FPS when using the mechanical shutter – A feature professional sports and wildlife photographers will find to be extremely impactful on their ability to capture fast-moving subjects. From a video perspective, the camera’s 8K video capture capability will prepare videographers for the future of movie-making- capturing 8K footage today allows for even higher-quality 4K productions in addition to the ability to extract high-resolution still images from the video footage. The EOS R5 will be the first Canon camera equipped with IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) and when used in conjunction with the extremely effective in-lens stabilization (IS), will allow photographers to handhold the camera in light levels not previously imagined. Additionally, the camera will also feature dual-card slots and will support the automatic transfer of image files from the device to the new image.canon cloud platform.

Alongside the EOS R5, Canon is also developing seven RF lenses and two RF lens extenders scheduled for release during 2020, including the RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM, Extender RF 1.4x and Extender RF 2x.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 2SHY

2SHY Member

I wonder if the 4k video mode has a crop mode?

9. Hater

Hater Member

I'm looking to buy into a full frame system for video and this just adds another element. Damn.

10. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You're definitely going to want to wait and find out whether these settings have autofocus enabled or not. The high end video on the 1DX3 has autofocus disabled.. which is fine if you're shooting wide angle and tight aperture, but otherwise not so hot...

Also canon tend to cap their video recording at 29mins 59s, something about avoiding a video camera import duty in the EU.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  11. Hater

Hater Member

I use a follow focus so not an issue for me

Much more interested in the IBIS performance

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  12. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Canonrumors.com claim to have seen video of the EOS R6 IBIS in action and it apparently works well.

https://cweb.canon.jp/eos/special/eos-r/r5/

More images etc on canon japan.

13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I'm suuuuuuuuper excited for this camera. I'm kinda glad I stood my ground and didn't go Sony. Dipped my toes in with my Wife's EOS R and the 24-105 F4L and it's pretty great. This will only be better.

14. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

expect this will be the mirrorless equivalent of the 5dmk3 - where the wedding/event pros will gravitate
    should be killer

15. oculi

oculi Member

Pretty sure it does, which kinda sucks.

16. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I've dug into pretty much every rumour around this camera, if there's anything even vaguely official or even credible about whether the video modes will be cropped or even with or without autofocus I'm yet to see it...

17. oculi

oculi Member

whoops disregard that, I was thinking of the M5, which has been out for ages.

18. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Any bets on what price tag they'll be going for? My bet - $12500 for the R5, and 1/3 of that for the R6.

19. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I suspect you're in the ballpark, those specs look like 1Dx3 for the most part - possibly higher in some areas. Most getting all moist over this camera won't cough up for what it'll cost.

I'm more interested in what the R6 is like, and importantly what the EVF is like on these cameras. I'm not yet a fan of EVFs for action, but it's only a matter of time.

20. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

There's no way this will be more than a 1DX3. Not a chance. The top end of price estimates are at US$5k. The R6 is an interesting beast in that it's supposedly built on the 1dx3 sensor, but with the same 12fps mechanical 20fps electronic shutter as the R5.. People are talking about it like it will be a cheaper model but I'm not quite sure yet.. If they do use the 1dx3 sensor and go for lower megapickles but better high iso/low light performance I wonder just how much lower they might actually position it price wise. Of course they might also remove a bunch of video shooting options from the R6 as well which could lower the asking price.. Still a lot more info needed on that one.