1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon EOS R5

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by EvilGenius, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Additional update..

"I have confirmed with the product manager – There is no DATA released from canon about how many stops IS you can get with R5 and any EF lenses.

However – as mentioned it is defiantly going to have active IS in the body and the Image stabilised EF lens. So obviously your 500 mm should have better IS when paired with R5, compared to any DSLR."

EvilGenius likes this.
  2. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Doesnt really matter, the ibis would likely be useless with a 500mm anyway, in lens IS is better at longer focal lengths

3. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Meanwhile, Sony wasn't sitting on their hands:

4. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Member

Yeah, R5 in some ways made obsolete within weeks :shock:

5. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

This is why canon messed up with their marketing. The cannon will crap all over the a7s3 as a stills camera, because it's a stills camera, and the sony isn't. 'Oh but the low light performance'. No. Just no.

6. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

7. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Well if you were comparing stills for stills you would do the R5 vs the A9II (or the A7r4 if it's all about the megapickles).

If you were comparing video capability vs video capability well...

8. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Member

Compact 8K body without a fan overheats? Colour me surprised!

9. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Not meaning to have a go but.. what's your point? People already are making those comparisons? Your comment implies the sony's both come out on top, but it seems very far from being that cut and dried to me? The noise comparison images don't make the sony's look better, the dynamic range comparisons aren't better, the autofocus isn't better? And just to make it fun, the video that is shot with the canon looks amazing, right up until it catches fire :Paranoid:

I seem to remember some sort of mount adaptor with ventilation showing up a few months ago sparked a bit of speculation about heat, but mostly conversation about introducing dust into the sensor. Seems a lot of places are now running with stories on a new patent that has shown up for cooling the R5.

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/27/canon-patents-eos-r-lens-adapter-with-active-cooling-built-in/

10. CeeAyeEee

CeeAyeEee Member

exactly, the new sony put the R5 into perspective in respect to price and 4K sharpness (4k is what users might actually use in the real world)!
    Then some smart cookie compared the new A7SIII to the overlooked R6 and found it was much cheaper and slightly sharper again at 4K, whilst retaining a high megapixel for stills shooters.
    The perfect camera conundrum was solved with the new sony release, good job!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 4:22 PM
  11. aokman

aokman Member

Questions answered in regards to IBIS and IS :)

12. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

Interesting that when using Atmos Ninja 5, they were able to get over an hour with 4k (would be interesting to know if it was 8K, 4K, raw etc...). Saw the Gerald undone video where he tested it, but it’s 2.5 hours long.

13. metalrain

metalrain Member

Sad to see that the video features of the R5 does seem like an after thought after all. Definitely wouldn't be suitable for any serious video work imho

14. aokman

aokman Member

I very much doubt the overheating issues will be a long term problem, aftermarket will solve it with some solution.

15. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

So it looks like Gerald Undone did a test using the super-sampled 4K from both the R5 and R6 outputting through HDMI raw, giving the equivalent of using an Atmos Ninja, the R5 lasted a little over 40 minutes, but barely used a 1/4 of the battery, the R6 was about an hour using 3/4 of the battery. This pushes the R6 considerably closer to the market of the A7S3, making it much more viable.

16. Hater

Hater Member

Why don't you just buy a C200, rig it to the hilt and then whack Sony fanboys over the head with it? Far more interesting than this boring comparison that seems to be engulfing every Photography chat channel currently. That way you can also say you "won"

"My camera is better than yours, what's your retort? Oh you can't reply because you're dead"

Would also be a far more interesting video too

EvilGenius likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I'm not sure how aftermarket products are supposed to fix this issue. So far we've seen a TEC plate/fan combo that mounts in the screen nook, it will do absolutely nothing to help. And we've seen Canon patents for adding additional cooling through the lens mount, that will at least give the cooling solution access to where the heat is.. But I'm skeptical just how much heat any passive system mounted that way will be able to extract, and the potential for the introduction of dust with an active system is a real concern.

18. mtma

mtma Member

I suppose fancy graphite ribbon could get the heat out of the sensor and take it to a more manageable area.

But we're assuming Canon didn't explore or do this for a reason other than it not working.

19. aokman

aokman Member

We don’t know that... many cameras use the metal chassis exterior to sink heat away from the processor and ccd. Many companies offer modifications for astro use to cool cameras. If it ends up being the processor that just needs cooling, I expect a new rear chassis plate to be developed...

20. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

My thinking is a battery grip with a heat pipe and cooling fins if they’ve built the body to transfer heat to the battery compartment.