Canon EOS R5

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by EvilGenius, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Derfman

Derfman Member

Claim it as a Christening present?

die_piggy likes this.
  2. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I primarily shoot sports so a lag in the shutter would be noticeable for me. I have no qualms. Then again, I spray and pray so I'm already on the shutter well before I notice any lag. I switched to using the 120hz refresh rate on the EVF so to me it's as responsive as an OVF. Then again, I'm middle aged, fat and balding, and not so 14 yr old on red cordial that twitches like a crack addict.

I bought an EF-RF adapter 5 months ago, well before there was a supply problem so it's been sitting alone in a drawer. That said, I hear that the adapters are now plentiful so shouldn't be an issue.

Not sure about your EF lenses. There's a page in the manual that refers to all lenses that work in high speed mode and they're all the latest canon varieties.

3. metalrain

metalrain Member

In terms of EF glass compatibility, check your manufacturer's websites and they should tell you what is fully compatible and what can be updated to be compatible. I had an issue with my Tamron G1 15-30mm f/2.8 VC USD where it would cause a system crash, but after a trip to service centre and some dollarydoos exchanged, it's working perfectly now.

A lot of modern lenses can be updated by yourself at home now so also do take that into consideration.

CPLs are a bit weird for anything wider than 24mm, you'll start to get some strange effects at the edges of the frame, but there's the option of Breakthrough Photography's 3rd party filters, however they're not in full production yet and only still asking for pre-orders.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  4. Derfman

Derfman Member

Might try to hire an R5 and a Sony A7RIV with adaptors over a weekend to compare.

I was @ camera house in Parramatta last week and they had R5 bodies but 0 stock of any RF - EF adaptors, and no ETA. good to know that there might be stock around though.

5. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

DIY Perks redesigns the internal heat sinc to greatly improve the overheating issue.
    (ignore the watercooled bit, his second iteration is a beautiful solution)

6. Xang

Xang Member

Proves how deliberate the sabotage was by Canon. The stock cooling pads aren't even lined up with the processors!

7. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

I had similar issues with my Dell laptop. Heat was obviously going to be an issue, yet they didn't even try the most basic things to reduce it.

Which means the R5 is (Unfairly) known as "That camera with overheating issues" instead of "One of the best stills camera on the market".

8. Xang

Xang Member

It's perfectly fair critcism.

It's Canon's fault for marketing (and manufacturing) it incorrectly.

9. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

The vast majority of the users will not experience any overheating issues, (Stills photographers or those dabbling in video) so the reputation of overheating is unfair. However, criticism aimed at the marketing department who decided to push the one feature that didn't work and the manufacturing shortcuts taken that made the issue worse, is fully justifiable IMO.

10. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You can't separate the marketing dept and the PHB's who sat in a meeting and decided that it was ok to release it with those issues. They knew it was going to overheat, they knew how long it was going to take, they had a document prepared showing it. They knew, and decided that was ok, and they decided to hype the video capabilities anyway. You can't be a company the size of canon with the technical capability of canon and not have some engineer somewhere saying hey it has these issues, not if some muppet on youtube can pull it to bits and fix it himself with chewing gum and tape.

Deftone2k likes this.
  11. Michael H

Michael H Member

Canon created the problems, nothing unfair about it. It seems some Canon users have trouble applying the same standard to Canon cameras which they readily apply to other camera makers. Remember how Canon users (Nikon users also) mercilessly criticised early Sony mirrorless cameras for overheating? Now they must live by the standard they helped create.

The R5 is a camera still under development, the competitive pressure was so great on Canon they had to release the body before it was complete (esp the firmware). I am not willing to pay close to 7 grand to be a camera beta tester for Canon. Even today the R5 and R6 have major issues around AF performance in the field for bird photographers. Duade Paton did a video detailing the woes a few days ago. He talks about the R6 but the problem exists wit the R5 as well (see a video from Jan Wegener).

Canon marketed it as a high end video camera with great stills. It does great stills with limited video - massive own goal.

Deftone2k likes this.
  12. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

my R6 arrived last week and i took it away for a couple of days, only had the 50mm RF 1.8 with it.
    Its really light and compact pairing, the 50mm is noisier than i'd like but performance seems ok for the price

Ergos are a little weird but thats due to being a Nikon shooter for so many years, all seems pretty logical button wise, but need time to acclimatize.
    Ordered the samyang 85mm 1.4 and will see how that goes.

Couldnt find a canon adapter anywhere in stock so ordered a 3rd party one, will hopefully be able to borrow a friends glass to see how it works at longer focal lengths before i jump fully in and decide to sell off all my Nikon stuff.
    The AF is certainly far better than the Z-series.

Ideally be great to replace Nikon and Fuji with one system at last

13. Lelaini

Lelaini New Member

Nice one! I came from Canon SLR and pondered going for an R6 with that 28-70 f/2 but landed on going for the Z6II with 24-70 f2.8 and 50mm f1.2..

Sure you will be happy with the R6 in the long run.

14. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

will see, unfortunately hard to tell until football season starts and i get some long glass to compare.
    Z6ii is pretty tempting, but from what i've seen its eye-AF still lags behind canon and the electronic shutter isnt as good - great pricing on it though

15. sooti

sooti Member

I think this an oz only thing (r5/r6 high price).

Im tossing between the r6 and a7c. But the r6 is literally more than 50% more expensive ($2250 vs $3400). Add to this the very limited lens selection that is extremely expensive and its not comparative price wise. In the reviews ive seen they say they are about same tier in their respective lineup but its not price wise

16. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Canon watchers are pretty sure there's going to be a lot of new lenses announced in the 2nd half of this year. Can't argue with the price though. I bought a new motorbike for what it would have cost me to upgrade to an R5 :upset:

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Depends what you're shooting
    r6 has 2 slots, better buffer, better frame rates, EVF, better ergos (for me)

but yeah sony has some good lens options for native, canon for adapted.